Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2006, 15:52   #76

Re: Stanley v Brizzell

I have only seen a few away games this season due to my location but we went to Bristol Rovers yesterday and I have to agree with Kipax and others........it was bl***y freezing !!!

Whilst I agree totally that we should all get right behind the management and players as we are going through a very difficult time,it was a very disappointing game and we were 3-0 down before we even knew what had hit us ! In my opinion, we never looked like scoring and though we improved in the second half, it never seemed as if we would close the gap between the teams. As for Mangan being sent off, whatever the rights and wrongs of what happened, surely Coley and Jimmy must drum into the players that they must not, under any circumstances, argue with the ref and risk dismissal from the field. Not only does this hand an immediate advantage to the other side, but disrupts the team in not only the game they are playing but in future matches, when that player is suspended. How many players have we had sent off this season ?

Not being a grandstand manager, I do not pretend to know what the answer is - though our poor defensive record speaks for itself. I do know that results have gone downhill since Gary and Ian left the side, together with a mass of injuries and several red cards.

Hopefully, Coley will be able to make some new signings in January and lift us out of this rut. I have every confidence he will do that - and we have 23 games in which to get things right - but continued losses on the scale of yesterday's defeat will only further sap the confidence of the team.

Anyway, let's sock it to Bury on Boxing Day - onwards and upwards Stanley !!!!
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2006, 16:03   #77
Junior Member+

come on you accy fans dont get so down there is still half a season to go, a few weeks ago there were loads on our forum (hereford united) who were feeling the same, good post from the guy who said stick with your team in the good and bad times, not all hufc hate accrington stanley in fact when you played at our place i think jc had some good banter with the fans and also won many over. its been a long hard slog for your team to get to where they are now so dont go pointing fingers at who at the club is at fault remember without those guys you would not even be in the league!!!
all the very best for the rest of the season and i for one really hope that you survive because contary to popular belief not all of us are against you guys, one more thing you will always have a problem attracting support with all the teams around you. have a great christmas and a happy new year
brian owen fan club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 16:23   #78
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian owen fan club View Post
its been a long hard slog for your team to get to where they are now so dont go pointing fingers at who at the club is at fault remember without those guys you would not even be in the league!!!
At last, a Bulls fan I agree with!!
Old 24-12-2006, 17:02   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian owen fan club View Post
come on you accy fans dont get so down there is still half a season to go, a few weeks ago there were loads on our forum (hereford united) who were feeling the same, good post from the guy who said stick with your team in the good and bad times, not all hufc hate accrington stanley in fact when you played at our place i think jc had some good banter with the fans and also won many over. its been a long hard slog for your team to get to where they are now so dont go pointing fingers at who at the club is at fault remember without those guys you would not even be in the league!!!
all the very best for the rest of the season and i for one really hope that you survive because contary to popular belief not all of us are against you guys, one more thing you will always have a problem attracting support with all the teams around you. have a great christmas and a happy new year
thats what you call christmas spirit hes right you know
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 17:06   #80
God Member

I disagree with how illegal it has become around here to criticise the club or the way it is run.
Our money goes in to the club week in week out, why should any criticism we offer be shot down?
People are within their rights to complain as the club isn't exactly breeding positivity at the moment.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 17:29   #81
Junior Member+

of course everyone has a right to criticise thier club if things dont go well but succeess is not a god given right and accy have made tremendous strides in the last 4 years so sometimes it is wise to take a step back and look at the whole picture, not long ago you were playing teams like liegh rmi etc in front of very small crowds ,one step at a time a couple of wins and the whole thing will look so much different (oh the joys of being a fan )
brian owen fan club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 17:31   #82
God Member

We all know the past, but it all too regularly clouds our impression of the club.
I want the club to survive and move on, not live off the past.
Old 24-12-2006, 19:26   #83
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Coley has worked miracles from nothing.
Any manager working under his circumstances (for Eric Whalley) is worth his weight in gold.
If you cannot see that then you need to take off the rose tinted spectacles that view ASFC as the well oiled club of years gone by.
We need to move on and quickly - if new investment is the way (most likely it) then it has to be done.
Strange this one, me and shaker against the rest who wear the rose tinted spectacles. Eric was good for the club but he has not moved on. My opinion is we need someone that will look to the future with ideas and back up those ideas. Maybe the pending court case may change a few peoples views on Eric but if he's any sense it will never make the courts. Sometimes if you take a step back and weigh up the facts you may see a different perspective.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 20:32   #84
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Strange this one, me and shaker against the rest who wear the rose tinted spectacles.
I thought Cllr. Jones was also in your corner Bagpuss? Strange bedfellow though he might be.

Your perspective of two polarised camps seems false, everything is not black and white!

Moving the club forward? Going forward? It's all a bit meaningless management speak to me, lemmings are intent on going forward.

As one Chinese proverb says, "Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still ".

There's no way Stanley are standing still, but that's not saying I agree with everything that they do.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 11:02   #85
Super Moderator

Quote:
Coley has worked miracles from nothing.
Any manager working under his circumstances (for Eric Whalley) is worth his weight in gold.
If you cannot see that then you need to take off the rose tinted spectacles that view ASFC as the well oiled club of years gone by.
We need to move on and quickly - if new investment is the way (most likely it) then it has to be done.
So, I wear rose tinted spectacles, do I? I take it you haven't seen my recent posts criticising the club for lack of progress on the Clayton End and Coppice End bars? Or my posts in which I take the club to task for not exploiting the potential of their merchandising operation to the full? I even wrote an article on the latter subject for the last issue of "There's No F In Roof". Other gripes from me over the last few months have included criticism of directors who make premature promises about the imminent construction of the Clayton End roof and the occurence of silly typographical errors in the programme.

However, unlike you, I do not seek to minimise Eric's role in the club's recent success story. Eric was the one who had the vision and determination to achieve a return to the league. He was the one who hired Coley and Jimmy and the one who has backed them and worked with them. Your comment, "Any manager working under his circumstances (Eric Whalley) is worth his weight in gold" makes it sound like Coley has achieved his success in spite of Eric Whalley, not working in harmony with him. OK, Eric is no Jack Walker and doesn't have untold riches to pour into the club. And, furthermore, he insists that that the club doesn't spend money it hasn't got, but, as far as I'm concerned, that's to his credit.

The circumstances that Coley (and Eric) are working over is the overwhelming indifference towards the club by the local public. A headline in The League Paper summed it up perfectly. "Accrington Gripped By Apathy". Eric and Coley have given the town a football league club, the town has turned its back on them. So, the club can't offer the wages that other clubs can and, so, misses out on the players it wants.

And what's all this "new investment" you talk about? Where's it coming from? I haven't seen a queue forming. Not surprising really, because as Tin Monkey says, who wants to put money into a business that just scrapes by?

This club wouldn't be where it is today without Coley and Jimmy. But it also wouldn't be where it is today without Eric. And I don't see anybody else stepping forward to take up the reins...do you?

And, by the way, Merry Christmas, Shakey (and everyone else, of course).

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 25-12-2006 at 11:06.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 11:13   #86
Resting in Peace

Just started reading my number 1 Christmas present - Phil Whalley's book. I must say it exceptionally well written and takes me back to those half-forgotten times when Galbraith's fine team were riding high.
History is repeating itself, I'm afraid, with the Accrington public disgracing themselves with their lack of support.
I'm proud to be a Stanley supporter, but terribly ashamed of my home town - again.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 16:59   #87
God Member

Wynonie, when I said "If you cannot see that then you need to take off the rose tinted spectacles that view ASFC as the well oiled club of years gone by." it was meant as a general comment - not especially to you - the post obviously doesn't read too well as it is but I'd missed the time to edit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
And what's all this "new investment" you talk about? Where's it coming from? I haven't seen a queue forming. Not surprising really, because as Tin Monkey says, who wants to put money into a business that just scrapes by?
Well there's definitely one wanting in.

I'm sorry if I have offended, but it's my opinion that Mr Whalley has been great for Accrington Stanley the non-league club and I do not disregard Mr Whalley's past acheivments. However I do not see the club progressing or even surviving in the league under his leadership.
Old 25-12-2006, 17:11   #88
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well there's definitely one wanting in.
Is there? Well, that's news to me, but I'll take your word for it.

Whoever he is, if he did take over the club, he would still be faced with same old problems. Trying to run a football league club with a core support base of around 1,000. A pretty difficult job and one that Eric's handling pretty well at the moment, in my opinion.
Old 25-12-2006, 19:01   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Trying to run a football league club with a core support base of around 1,000. A pretty difficult job and one that Eric's handling pretty well at the moment, in my opinion.
Whilst I have every sympathy for Eric Whalley on what he is trying to do, I do think he has gone on for one season too long. If memory serves me correctly, did he not say if and when we got to the Football League, he would step down! The other thing is he does not endear himself to supporters and club workers. People owed money, people who are assisting without thought of remuneration are at best berated and at worst insulted, why? Those core supporters that attend week in, week out, love the club. Yes I have heard the rumours of a buyer for the club, trouble is Eric has his head buried in a bucket of sand. And another thing, are we likely to have to pay the suspended fine for our disciplinary record?
The one other thing I agree with on this thread is that the folk of Accrington are apathetic towards the club. They have to be won over, and we have to have good facilities for them, because I do not think the prices are too much of a problem, considering Burnley costs around £20 and Blackburn £30 a match I think.
I think every supporter attending the Bury match should drag along a friend (kicking and screaming if necessary) I am.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 20:30   #90
Resting in Peace

Well I'm bringing 2, even if I have to pay 'em on.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote

« Bury FC | today »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..