Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Weds morning 10.15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
By the way, the judge who finally dismissed the petition was Registrar Darrett...a very fine lady, who visually reminded me very much of those of her sex who used to frequent certain drinking establishments in an area of Blackburn then known as the Barbary Coast. But that was a long time ago.

Happy memories Tealeaf!!...of playing the old rickety and out-of-tune Piano in 'Sames's Vaults'..whilst the 'ladies of the night' were continually requesting my prescence...Pint Glasses whistling around my head...some full!........collecting my seven and sixpence at the end of the night.....!!

All lost in the mists of time !...were they really 'the good old days'??

Last edited by yonmon; 05-11-2009 at 09:51.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2009, 10:22   #47

Yonmon, its not just people of a certain age who have a shiver down their spine, a quickening of the heart, and a swelling of pride when 11am comes along on the 11th day of the 11th month. I dont know of anything that is more important than our heritage. One of the reasons I have been drawn to our club is the inextricable link with our town, and the accrington pals mean so much to so many who passed before. I am grateful for your jogging of that collective memory. Its not appropriate for this forum to be hijacked away from Stanley, but I do feel good that we share values beyond the game.

Turning back to Stanley, I heard last night that a playing member of the 1962 team passed away earlier this week. Anyone have any information on that ?

take care
Ilyas
(thursday 11.20am)
expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:26   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
Turning back to Stanley, I heard last night that a playing member of the 1962 team passed away earlier this week. Anyone have any information on that ?
It was Alex Hamilton, who many on here will probably know.

Quote:
Alex Hamilton A tireless Scottish-born half-back, he made 114 appearances. His sole goal was the only score in Accrington’s lone away win of the season, against Bradford City. He was a foreman at a domestic appliances company and then worked for a car-components maker. Retired, he lives in Accrington

Last edited by JEFF; 05-11-2009 at 10:28.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29   #49

Jeff, thank you for that. Does anyone know if we have traditionally held a minutes silence in respect of past players ? I will speak with Rob and David about this as well, as there might be some Footy League protocol, but if Alex really was in THE team, then his passing away might have some deeper resonance.
expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:31   #50
God Member

I dont him know him personally but I know that many of our older supporters have spoken highly of Alex and my dad always stopped for a chat with him around the markets etc.

If anyone knows the family please pass on my condolences.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42   #51
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
Jeff, thank you for that. Does anyone know if we have traditionally held a minutes silence in respect of past players ? I will speak with Rob and David about this as well, as there might be some Footy League protocol, but if Alex really was in THE team, then his passing away might have some deeper resonance.

If it’s possible to do I think that would be a very sincere way of recognising those who have served the club and a fitting way for all of us the show our respect collectively, a new tradition for the club to consider perhaps.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:56   #52

I knew Alex pretty well. He and Wattie Dick used to play Badminton with us at New Church Sunday Schoolrooms in Hargreaves ST for a while.
We would also see them ay the Con Club on Wed nights.
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
It was Alex Hamilton, who many on here will probably know.
That's a shock Jeff, I was only talking to Alex a few days ago in the club, about Stanley of course. Nice bloke Alex. Sad news.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15   #54
Resting In Peace

From fishy site history section

Quote:
HAMILTON, Alexander McGregor
Half-back 5 ft 7 in, 10 st 9 lb
Born: Kirkcolm, Wigtown 21 Nov 1937
Debut v Reading (h) 13 Dec 1958
Appearances: 114 Goals: 1
Career: Drumore juniors; Newton Stewart; Stranraer; Tarff R. Aug 1957; STANLEY 20 Aug 1957; York C. 16 Mar 1962; Nelson season 1962-63; Clayton FC (W.Lancashire League) cs 1965 to cs 1967; Poplar FC (Accrington & District Combination).
Discovered by Accrington scout Peter Devlin (no relation to Joe), Alex Hamilton had played two games for Stranraer and turned down offers from King's Lynn and Australia in order to become a reserve team player at Peel Park. Having made his debut in the 1958-59 season, he established himself in the team midway into the following. A fit, committed player, Alex Hamilton was an aggressive, tough and hardtackling half-back, who defended well, but also supported his forwards energetically. He was never afraid to have a crack at goal but his goalscoring record was poor. He managed just one goal, Stanley's winner in the solitary away win in the 1961-62 season, at Bradford City. A most consistent player, however, he missed only four games from November 1959 until Stanley's demise. After leaving the game he was foreman at a domestic appliances company for 17 years, then worked for a car-components maker for another twelve. Now prefers darts to football, still living in Accrington.
Accrington Stanley History

Go to The Players - Last Squad
Old 05-11-2009, 12:22   #55
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
That's a shock Jeff, I was only talking to Alex a few days ago in the club, about Stanley of course. Nice bloke Alex. Sad news.
Don't know what happened Bernard, sombody told me last night that he had died. He only scored one goal in the Football League - against Bradford in 1961-62 season and that was expunged from the records. So offically he never scored a goal in the Football League, he was a good player though, I remember him playing many times.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:38   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
shock to me also, don't know alexs family, but alex always stopped fer a quick natter whenever our paths crossed in town, very nice bloke i always found. R.I.P. Alex.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..