Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2010, 09:08   #76
God Member

Exclamation Re: Cheltenham Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ive never been convinced wi that argument Larry, players are supposed to be fitter now than ever,according to the experts? they used to play more games back when they weren't! 3 at easter,4 oer xmas, plus more games per season. so how does that work out? fer my money they played the wrong game, larruping the ball upfield to the Cheltenham defense who won virtually every ball, being big lads against garden gnomes, early season was much more balls to feet, which suits our lads imho.
Agree with those comments Cashy, also Hess just did not look comfortable at LB and the first 2 came down that side!!

Jimmy was all over the pitch, so I do not agree with the fitness thing, we are too small - man for man and I cannot believe what I have just heard on the Footy League show, describing Stanley "As a Team that can be physical and direct!!"

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2010, 09:09   #77
God Member

Re: Cheltenham Thread

The only bright spot is we do have players coming back into the squad and a Cup game looming against the Latics so players will be out to impress to keep hold of their starting berths.

But defend and play like we did yesterday against the Spireites on Tuesday night and it will be a cricket score.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 11:14   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
I agree with BDC. Ok, his first few minutes were abysmal, but in his natural position raiding down the right he poses a real threat. He takes people on, is hard to dispossess and is not afraid to put his foot in, unlike another winger I could mention.

I think we all know Chris is a major threat in his proper postion on the right hand side. He did look a fish out of water on the left which wasnt surprising.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 11:43   #79
Junior Member+

Travelled up for the match yesterday hoping to see the team that has done reasonably well upto now,unfortunately it appeared that the wrong team turned up on the day.Probably only Jimmy Ryan can walk way with any credit after a bad day at the office,maybe it was my imagination but John Coleman just didn't seem to have any enthusiam for the game and spent most of the match leant against the wall.Jimmy Bell did most of the motivational stuff from the technical area,Accy were a lot better before the management team signed new contracts.So whats gone wrong,from a strong start to the season to yesterday when they looked like a team heading into a relegation battle.Can't blame problems in the boardroom because that didn't seem to affect the team at the start of the season,the problems need to be ironed out before things go from bad to worse.Players playing out of position,wrong substitutions etc,i know it's only early season yet but the middle of the season will be upon us before we know it,i hope they can turn things around before it's too late.Judging on yesterdays performance it's going to be a long hard season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 12:22   #80
Full Member+

rather embarrssing performance yesterday, the lads can do better, we all know this, just hope it was a blip. Lets put it behind us, look forward and take Oldham to the cleaners.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 12:48   #81

Disagree with Olgoblin too i certainly didnt see nine passes going astray. Once he got into the game did you fail to see the two great balls put into the box which should have been converted to goals. Looking for someone to blame look at the defence on this occasion. Play players out of position and you dont get their best performance.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 13:46   #82
Full Member+

Sorry New Red, but the guy standing behind me actually counted them out loud to his mates - and, unfortunately, he was right!! Besides, if ChrisTurner is capable of playing at this level, he should be capable of putting in a shift in ANY midfield or attacking area, except maybe that of central target man. (Look at Jimmy Ryan if you don't believe me.) Also... if you read my post, you would see that I was not singling out Turner for blame, but merely suggesting that he may not be the all-conquering messiah that lots of people seem to think he is.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 14:07   #83
bdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
Sorry BDC. Cannot agree about Chris Turner. Those of us who don't see him through tinted glasses were watching closely after he came on and, believe it or not, his first NINE passes went to blue shirts. It was only when he moved out to the right (where he could do less damage, maybe) that he started to release the ball with any accuracy. I really don't think he's the answer.
How do I see him through tinted glasses? I think your post is suggesting that your opinion is somehow more valid than mine. If you read my post I suggested that Chris put in two very good crosses, one of which should have been put into the back of the net by Lindfield. If he has created two chances like that in the forty minutes he was on the pitch then in my eyes that is doing more than Sean did for ninety minutes. If wingers are judged off end product then Chris ticked this box yesterday. I do not think Chris is the messiah but I do think he should be given a fair chance to prove whether he is good enough or not.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 15:02   #84
Senior Member+

I was as disappointed as the rest of you yesterday!! and very frustrated!!
Earlier in the season we conceded very little with this defence;
Dunbavin
Bateson Edwards Hessey Winnard

Also Coley had to change it around because of suspension to Bateson and he has also tried out one or two new lads - Long looks promising although we need to see him on the pitch for longer. Smith seems to me, on yesterdays evidence, to be poor with positioning and also lacking recovery speed. I know it is early days for the youngster but for the first two goals Smith seemed to be nowhere near his opponent who just strolled through unchallenged. Hessey seemed hesitant at left back too.

Even though I was in the Clayton end I feel the disallowed goal was valid.
The assistant referee was flagging for offside just TWO yards from the goal line which is where the ball was flicked in cleverly by the scorer, (was it Ryan or Gornell?) However when the ball was crossed in from the right side in front of the assistant referee the "scorer" was moving in towards goal dynamically from outside the six yard box and was not offside at the time the ball was released. Had that "goal" been allowed the course of the game could well have changed dramatically as Stanley were having their best spell in the match.
The referee was so inconsistent with free kicks, sometimes indicating a circular motion with his hands, (The man got the ball!!), and playing on in exactly the same situations. Just be consitent Refs!!

I think we should revert to the above defence on Tuesday, Procter should bring back some strength and order to to the midfield. Like others, I too think we are "lightweight" up front, so I would like to revert to a 4 4 2 shape but I would include two wingers with instructions to take on their full backs with the intention to get to the goal line and pull the ball back for our forwards and midfield boys to run on to. This tactic reduces the need for height in our forwards and also has the effect of taking the opposing keeper out of the play. Think of the flying wingers who played so effectively for us like this over the last fifteen years or so; Grimmy and Hoskins - Rory, Russell and Deano !!
It is also the most entrtaining formation and style of play too. I think it is worth a try with both Turner and Mc Conville in this type of system.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 16:27   #85
Senior Member+

Didnt go the game yesterday,but the result didnt suprise me,i went to the bolton game and if you read my post the signs were there,Can somebody explain to me why owens has not had a run out ( hows he played in reserves ? ) hes 6-3 good in the air,comfortable on the ball,and left footed,is he injured.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 21:40   #86
Senior Member+

I haven't noted any comments regarding 'Poor Parky'!!...How disappointed he must have been at the service which was provided for him, which consisted of a stream of high balls with which he had to do his best with whilst being shadowed by Josh Law and the other six-foot plus Cheltenham defenders !.
Andy is still a good player- with the ball at his feet !...anywhere else and he is struggling !.....but then a lack of the necessary inches seemed to be apparent throughout the team !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 21:57   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
I haven't noted any comments regarding 'Poor Parky'!!.
Probably cos they were all poor, by the standard they set early season? agree about parky though.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:41   #88

been working away for a while and have been in touch by the radio, not looking to good at the min, how have the lads been performing minus the results.
vicburdett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:58   #89

See all the above vic?
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..