Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2013, 07:49   #31
God Member

Re: Bristol thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
The gap with teams outside relegation zone now only 3 points.

3 points on Saturday could put us back in the mix.

Why did the ref play 6 minutes of added on time?
How did Xavi and Iniesta, sorry I mean Joyce and Murphy play tonight?
5 minutes. Several subs to start with, and the referee was constantly telling Bettonelli and Hunt about speeding up the goalkicks and free-kicks, it seemed to be his main aim on the night to make a fuss of. I did say to the legend I sit next to there would be 5 minutes added on. Better prediction than the 3-1 scoreline I had my £1 on
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 23-10-2013, 07:58   #32
Senior Member+

BBC website had it as 6 minutes.

Does Dan update the BBC website on their behalf throughout the match or do they have their own reporter doing it?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 08:10   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
BBC website had it as 6 minutes.

Does Dan update the BBC website on their behalf throughout the match or do they have their own reporter doing it?
I think the way it works is at each game there is a company who do it ( possibly Optasport ? ) which updates various news feeds including the BBC.
Old 23-10-2013, 09:48   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Must also make a special mention for Webbs whose centre forward play was exemplary tonight in my opinion. His positional sense and first touch was immense.

in the 3 games I've seen him play I sometimes think he is 'too good' and the other players are nowhere near his wavelength making him look bad. It was his ridiculously fast first touch turn and pass that found Naytackle for the 2nd goal. And I haven't heard a substitution clapped quite so hard in many a year.

Gray deserved his goal as well, for a whole hearted performance, never stopped running and jumping for headers. Before his goal I thought he was going to end up getting red carded as he seemed so wound up for it, he had quite a few slapping/pushing incidents with their centre backs. After the goal there was no sign of the early aggression and he concentrated on playing.
baldy and ianray like this.
Old 23-10-2013, 11:16   #35
Resting in Peace

Seems ridiculous to say it but JB will have a selection problem up front when Kayode returns to action. James Gray is flying at the moment and deserves an extended run and Danny Webber seems to be coming into form, not to mention Marcus Carver and Shay McCarten pushing for a place. Nice problem eh, Football19? How would you work 4-5-1 with these guys?
I mentioned our floodlights on the thread starter before the game and I think goalkeepers must have to eat sackful of carrots before playing at the Crown. Maybe it accounts for Marcus's error for the Bristol goal?
I was so confident of a result last night that I took my camera for the first time ever in order to record the celebrations after the whistle. Being a superstitious guy I will take it to Morecambe! Pic is here, if I can upload it, but I don't hold out much hope of it loading on past expeStanley.jpgrience.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 11:38   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Seems ridiculous to say it but JB will have a selection problem up front when Kayode returns to action. James Gray is flying at the moment and deserves an extended run and Danny Webber seems to be coming into form, not to mention Marcus Carver and Shay McCarten pushing for a place. Nice problem eh, Football19? How would you work 4-5-1 with these guys?
I mentioned our floodlights on the thread starter before the game and I think goalkeepers must have to eat sackful of carrots before playing at the Crown. Maybe it accounts for Marcus's error for the Bristol goal?
I was so confident of a result last night that I took my camera for the first time ever in order to record the celebrations after the whistle. Being a superstitious guy I will take it to Morecambe! Pic is here, if I can upload it, but I don't hold out much hope of it loading on past expeAttachment 35221rience.
Photo looks good; thanks for posting it. I was working away in Belfast last night so had to rely on Dan's excellent live text and messages from my son. I encountered a fellow Stanley-ite in Belfast on Twitter and then felt it appropriate to go and sink many, many pints of Harp lager in the home country of James Gray. I'd very much like to see any other pictures of last night...
Bentley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 16:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
This post has had me thinking since lunch time - given a fully fit squad and the freedom to choose the best formation to suit them... what would be our best XI?

The 4-4-2 that Beatts seems to be aiming for seems to be something like the following:

Bettinelli
Hunt Winnard Aldred Naylor
Naismith Joyce Murphy Wilson(Mingoia?)
Webber Odejayi

I can see a few ways we could set up the the squad however that may be interesting...

Lahm at Bayern has this season moved from full back to holding midfield ... the logic being put the man with the best vision and passing in the team in a position where he can effect the game the most - what do people think of Naylor doing a similar job? A possible 4-3-3:

Bet
Hunt Winnard Aldred Wilson(Liddle?)
Naylor
Murphy Webber
Naismith Odejayi Gray

If the priority is to ensure both Odejayi and Gray can play up front we could look at what Liverpool have done this year and play a 3-4-1-2

Bettinelli
Winnard Atkinson Aldred
Hunt Murphy Naylor Wilson
Webber
Odejayi Gray

We've definitely got some flexibility in the squad - its just up to the manager to get the best out of it!
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 17:43   #38

Why complicate it? Keep the same system bring big Kay in for Webber.

Webber needs to earn his place, not on reputation, not on 'being too good' for the rest of the players. If his performances are assessed without considering what level he's played at I think he is 2nd choice behind Kay and Gray. Webber is tidy and has a great touch but for me doesn't get in goal scoring positions enough to be a real goal threat

Thankfully it's JBs call
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 18:00   #39
Senior Member+

Good debate that Sam/Redraine,for me I would go 4-2-3-1.I am liking our fullbacks who are playing really well and this system allows them to get forward more.
If you play with lads staying wide,it's tricky for the fullbacks to overlap,as last night,hunty in particular,drove forward,but on the inside of Naismith.
For me,it would be odejayi up top (a must for me ),with three behind him,taking turns to attack and rotate.
That role would suit webber/Naismith and Grey.all three have good technique and can shorten the game up.
If you watched our goals last night,they all started with us getting the ball down and shortening the game up and overloading in key areas.
I have always liked two holding players,which allows fullbacks etc to join in.
If it's good enough for mourinio ,it's good enough for me !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 18:21   #40
Resting in Peace

I like that, Football19, but I'm not sure I'm going to agree with you as to you would have as the "2"! Names would be a help.
Old 23-10-2013, 18:42   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraine View Post
i like that, football19, but i'm not sure i'm going to agree with you as to you would have as the "2"! Names would be a help.
Old 23-10-2013, 19:32   #42
Senior Member+

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Verrrrrrry Wiggunishly cryptic that !!...
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 20:02   #43
Senior Member+

That's my two holding players ! ,murph (if he stops diving ) and Joycy
Old 23-10-2013, 20:57   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
That's my two holding players ! ,murph (if he stops diving ) and Joycy
Arrrgh! I knew it!
Old 23-10-2013, 21:55   #45

Re: Re: Bristol thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMoody View Post
Why complicate it? Keep the same system bring big Kay in for Webber.

Webber needs to earn his place, not on reputation, not on 'being too good' for the rest of the players. If his performances are assessed without considering what level he's played at I think he is 2nd choice behind Kay and Gray. Webber is tidy and has a great touch but for me doesn't get in goal scoring positions enough to be a real goal threat

Thankfully it's JBs call
Strange how people see things differently - for me Webber was the best player on the pitch yesterday - played the hole position very well - especially defensively where he stopped countless Bristol attacks by nicking it of the toe of a playmaker before they got settled.

He was always available for the pass and would drop short to receive the ball to link up play - as well as coming close to scoring twice and being one of the most vocal players on the pitch.
AccyMad and Chubbyman like this.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..