Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2018, 17:22   #31

Re: Let's Have a Spireites Thread

League 2 football has always been a topsy-turvy affair.
We all know from bitter experience that the bottom club can defy the odds & beat one of the league leaders on any given day.
In general, most teams in our league seem fairly evenly matched & the difference between success or failure can often be a baffling mystery.
Recently, Port Vale 'thrashed' runaway league leaders Luton 4-0! - wonder if the Vale fans described Luton as crap?
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion about our opponents.
Just feel some of the comments made about Chesterfield were unnecessary & a tad unfair, after considering the actual game stats.
Yes, we deserved to win the game, but we had a good deal of luck on our side, while they had none.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2018, 20:37   #32

Lord Stiff - Not an unreasonable point of view . In fact, your line of argument is a nice one. In this day and age it's usually the offended who decides whether there has been any offence (gawd help us). I bet there wouldn't be many Chesterfield fans irate if they read the comments here mind.

Mab - I've never been a fan of Scotty Brown but I think he's done really well of late.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:45   #33
God Member

[QUOTE=choirboy;1207086][B
When a team loses confidence their play becomes erratic, mistakes creep in and the 'luck' seems to disappear too. This can be summed up as 'Relegation Form'.
To their credit Chestefield didn't resort to unfair tactics, as some teams would, and they continued to try to play football in the right way and they did improve a bit in the second half.

those two paragraphs show that without a change of direction for them they are going down. need a bit more of last seasons newport mentality about em.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 19:56   #34

If it's any consolation to Chesterfield, there was just a question on Madtermind: "which club has the nickname the spireites"? And the bloke got it right.
Hope that cheered any of their watching fans up a bit.
Old 13-01-2018, 19:26   #35

For all those who described Chesterfield as the worst team seen at the Wham.
For those who thought that 49% possession an irrelevance.
Who said they were rubbish, crap, doomed to relegation.
For those who thought me mad for praising their 'never-say-die' attitude.
Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you -

CHESTERFIELD 2 - LUTON 0

Ho, ho, ho!
Who has the last laugh now?

MikeA likes this.
Old 13-01-2018, 21:29   #36

Now then Lord Stiff, I understand how sweet must be the feeling of vindication, but is this not a very brave post indeed?
What if it was just a one off, and they fall apart again ? You'll have to change your identity and move to another town - such will be the ridicule you might face.
Old 13-01-2018, 22:07   #37
God Member

Twas I who said they were the worst team I had seen since Stockport (2011). They were. I couldnt give a monkeys if it was a one off (it wasnt). Neither could I give a monkeys if anyone is offended by my opinion.

Fans the length and breadth of our fine Island have delighted in pointing out our pishpoorosity for decades. They have also revelled in the scorn of our tinpottery, and still do to this very day. Do I take offence at their disdain for my club? No I do not.

However, I am dismayed occasionally that they dont offer mitigation for our failings. We have truly climbed the abyss over the last 47 years. For 12 years (say it again Sam) we have, by a distance and without a shadow of doubt, been the poorest relation amongst the fabled 92. Yet they still deem it necessary to highlight our foibles. I still dont take offence.

By contrast, only 40 moons past since the Ites from the Spire lifted the League 2 Crown in front of another full house at their brand new £10m flat packed arena. Only 46 or so moons past since they emptied their sack of gold and promptly snared The Snake, who then gave a glimpse of that gold to Leam and Boco ... Treasure chests ahoy, Snake charmed, and packed house after packed house. Did they cast a backward glance at doddery old Stanley, limping along and unable to heat his one bedroomed flat? Did they heck as like. They're not unique neither. The footballing world oohed and aahed when Kettle torpedoed our promotion push 2 years ago. A day later twas but a cached cookie.

No, the world cares not for us and I care not for it. The bigger the club the more I shall delight in my gentle observations of how good they were not

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 13-01-2018 at 22:11. Reason: Swear filter circumventing
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 22:11   #38

Even a stopped clock..
maccawozzagod likes this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 23:53   #39

Some people just don't understand League 2 football.
After the derision heaped on the Spirerites last week by some who became intoxicated by their 4-0 defeat, it was certain that they would defy all the odds to beat runaway leaders Luton.
No mean feat! - and something we failed to accomplish when we faced the Hatters at home.
We shall see at the end of the season whether those who predicted certain relegation for Chesterfield were right or wrong.
I have a feeling that some may have egg on their face if the latter proves correct.
It's a shame those who are quickest at jumping to conclusions, never have the grace to admit they might just be wrong.
DAV007 likes this.
Old 14-01-2018, 08:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Even a stopped clock..
So on this occasion - I was right!
Old 14-01-2018, 09:28   #41

No.I'd never refer to your Lordship as a stopped clock.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:16   #42
God Member

I just don't get why any of our fans would take such umbrage on Chesterfield's behalf? A previously held affiliation to them maybe, who knows.
Good on 'em for beating Luton yesterday, nice to see the Hatters being taken down a peg or two (or is that too disparaging a remark about one of our fellow teams?!)
We need to not bother so much about how other fans are feeling, support our lads & enjoy our own season - after all, we're not running a support group for those whose nose gets put out of joint at times, COYR!
cashman likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 18:33   #43

Sorry to disappoint AccyMad, but I have no affiliation to the Spirerites.
Nobody rejoiced more than I did after our 4-0 victory.
Call me an old softie, but when strugglers turn up & get a damn good thrashing, my first instinct is to feel some sympathy for their supporters.
Those like us, who travel in hope only to return home crushed.
I was just trying to be objective & saw the game in a different light to those who were quick to deride Chesterfield as rubbish.
Despite the result, I still feel that the game wasn't as one sided as some suggested, given the stats & their gift of 2 goals.
My big mistake was to describe some of the more scornful remarks as 'uncharitable'. Apparently, I'm now a closet Spirerite.
If expressing an honest opinion is 'taking umbrage' on behalf of the opposition, then so be it.
However, as soon as the club shop start stocking 'Stanley Rose-Tinted Specs', I promise to buy some.
Old 14-01-2018, 18:49   #44
God Member

Ah, see that's maybe where you're going wrong Lord S - most of us are already in possession of such glasses & have been for years, they're what keep us sane & hopeful
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 12:13   #45
God Member

CHESTERFIELD 2 - LUTON 0

god help us on saturday as port vale beat luton 4-0 in the latters previous away game so vale must be twice as good as chesterfield. well we used to do things like that as kids.
Lord Didsbury likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..