Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 17:10   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington on Newsnight now

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Newsnight is more current affairs than a breaking news programme. They will have filmed in Accy days ago.

Appeal following cash in transit robbery at Accrington bank - Lancashire Constabulary
Could have stolen some footage from Homes Under the Hammer, they always point at Accrington being a backwater whenever they feature properties from around here on the program
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2013, 17:48   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Newsnight is more current affairs than a breaking news programme. They will have filmed in Accy days ago.

Appeal following cash in transit robbery at Accrington bank - Lancashire Constabulary
Well aware, it was called humour.
Old 08-03-2013, 17:59   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:

It was filmed on Wednesday this week.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 18:01   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
It was filmed on Wednesday this week.
Were you holding the clapper board Bernard Its a wrap
Old 08-03-2013, 18:09   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Were you holding the clapper board Bernard Its a wrap
No thankfully I wasn't involved. The town never comes out of these sorts of things smelling of roses.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 18:50   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
No thankfully I wasn't involved. The town never comes out of these sorts of things smelling of roses.
That's because its usually southerners that make the programs Bernard
Old 08-03-2013, 19:52   #22
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
That's because its usually southerners that make the programs Bernard
I think you will find that there are plenty of people from the North that have made very good programmes, admittedly, to display their talent they have to migrate South, but it doesn't warrant jumping to conclusions about it being Southerners showing the town in a bad light.

Lets be honest, the town looks bad because it is unfortunately suffering from lack of investment, lack of employment and now lack of the feeling of personal worth brought on too many years without the first two.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:15   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think you will find that there are plenty of people from the North that have made very good programmes, admittedly, to display their talent they have to migrate South, but it doesn't warrant jumping to conclusions about it being Southerners showing the town in a bad light.

Lets be honest, the town looks bad because it is unfortunately suffering from lack of investment, lack of employment and now lack of the feeling of personal worth brought on too many years without the first two.
I see Bernard likes this post Less, maybe back in those dark days you talk about when HBC were selling all the silverware, he'd have voted, in council, to use the money on refurbishing the town centre instead of spend it on the then Leaders pet project, the Globe Centre, which was undertaken by Barnfield Construction. Oh yes, by the way, Councillor Slynn just happened to be a director of Barnfield Construction at the time, along with a few more companies associated with that parent group
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 16:41   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I see Bernard likes this post Less, maybe back in those dark days you talk about when HBC were selling all the silverware, he'd have voted, in council, to use the money on refurbishing the town centre instead of spend it on the then Leaders pet project, the Globe Centre, which was undertaken by Barnfield Construction. Oh yes, by the way, Councillor Slynn just happened to be a director of Barnfield Construction at the time, along with a few more companies associated with that parent group

Quote:
lancsdave, BERNADETTE and susie123 like this.
No sign of a Bernard, has he disliked me since you posted?

Or are you now making spelling mistakes when you read as well?

P.S. When did I talk about selling silverware?????

Last edited by Less; 09-03-2013 at 16:44.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 16:51   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Ha ha Less, very well put, far better than I would have done... I had noticed the faux pas.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:

OOOOPS Sorry Bernie, you didn't mention the silverware Less, but its a contributory factor to the state of the town centre, if the money they made out of flogging the buses, bus depot, lease on the Arndale ect had been used on the centre at the time, it may not have been as run down now, as it is.
Old 10-03-2013, 14:16   #27

So what was the Newsnight slot about? I live in Singapore so am banned from watching it (coz I don't pay the TV licence so dont get to watch such fine programming).

I take it was a pre-budget review of how people are dealing with hard times and the impact of the expected further cuts that'll be coming as UK Plc attempts to avoid its inevitable bankruptcy ?
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 14:27   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
So what was the Newsnight slot about? I live in Singapore so am banned from watching it (coz I don't pay the TV licence so dont get to watch such fine programming).

I take it was a pre-budget review of how people are dealing with hard times and the impact of the expected further cuts that'll be coming as UK Plc attempts to avoid its inevitable bankruptcy ?
Check post 8. theres a link.
Old 10-03-2013, 15:16   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Check post 8. theres a link.
BBC Iplayer wont work outside UK so that link is useless to him.

I watched it - mainly views of backstreets and some propaganda about how wonderful Maundy relief are

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 15:20   #30
Resting In Peace

Try this...
BBC News - Hardening public attitudes to those on welfare benefits

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..