Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/)
-   -   What would you like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/what-would-you-like-to-see-happen-in-oswaldtwistle-21459.html)

Alan D 01-05-2006 13:42

What would you like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle

With the local elections this week, I was thinking what I would like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle over the nxt 12 month's.Not sure really who to vote for as I don't know what the candidate's are proposing to do.I would like to see more community wardens on the street, for a start.I would also like something to be done with.

Peel Court
The Palladium
The Old Firestation

Anyone else got any other idea's?:engsmil:

Gayle 01-05-2006 13:58

Re: What would you like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle

You don't say which part of Oswaldtwistle you live in. There are three wards - St Andrews, Immanuel and St Oswalds.

I'm representing Labour in St Andrews on Thursday and I'll quite happily speak to you about our plans if you live in my ward.

Suffice to say though that Labour is planning on putting an extra 30 PCSOs into Hyndburn plus 24 Community Wardens (recently made redundant by our Conservative controlled council) onto the street. All those buildings are in St Andrews ward so they'll be high on my list of priorities if I get elected.

Alan D 01-05-2006 14:11

Sorry, yes I forgot to mention I live on Lord street.

katex 01-05-2006 17:00

All these buildings are eye-sores of course and need sorting out, but think Gayle mentioned were privately owned, so a little difficult just yet.

The one building I find dismal is actually at Church traffic lights, next to the Post Office .. ok, so not quite Ossy, but is almost the entrance to Ossie, and wonder people haven't turned back again!

Think they are making a pleasant job around these lights in general.

There was a discussion about the 'Town Square' in Ossie and where it could be. As Ossie is just one long road practically with other roads leading off, there is no heart of the town as such, and think one should be created.

Re: Jubilee gardens, this could be ideal .. a little stark at the moment, but lots of flowers, lovely benches ya' know something to invite you there .. where people could go in the summer and feel they were in the centre of this community .. a sort of meeting point.

Gayle 01-05-2006 21:07

Even though they are privately owned properties they will only get planning permission if they are in keeping with the needs of the town. So Councillors can still have an influence over the future uses of the properties.

The discussion was not about where Town Square should be - it was about the Accy Obs calling Jubilee Gardens the Town Square when its name is Jubilee Gardens.

katex 01-05-2006 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle

The discussion was not about where Town Square should be - it was about the Accy Obs calling Jubilee Gardens the Town Square when its name is Jubilee Gardens.

Yes, I know all this Gayle, just think it would be lovely to have a centre and heart in the town, Jubilee Gardens was just a sort of geographical suggestion to Ossie having a 'Town Square', as half way down Union Road.

Gayle 01-05-2006 21:25

My point is Katie that it already is.

katex 01-05-2006 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle
My point is Katie that it already is.

Is it ?? Well, anyway, not quite inviting enough, perhaps can be made a little more 'cosy' So what ya' saying that it is actually a sort of Town Square, under the pseudo name of Jubilee Gardens ?? .. tee hee .. getting more confused by the moment :confused:

Neil 02-05-2006 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
not quite inviting enough, perhaps can be made a little more 'cosy'

It must be very inviting to the younger members of the comunity, they like gathering there in large groups in the evening.

katex 02-05-2006 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
It must be very inviting to the younger members of the comunity, they like gathering there in large groups in the evening.

Thought somebody might come up with this comment Neil, but we can't succumb to what people see as some sort of 'yob' culture can we? We can't let the young people destroy our parks, meeting places .. have to keep fighting this. I think it is slightly improving. Definitely better in Barnes Square at Clayton since CCtv cameras installed and regular patrols, it's a little sad to be negative, don't you think ?

talentedbutslow 02-05-2006 19:07

What would you like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle ..?

ummm........bulldoze half of it???........:p

talentedbutslow 03-05-2006 09:35

OOPSA........everyone gone deathly quiet.......and glaring at me...:o

garinda 03-05-2006 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by talentedbutslow
OOPSA........everyone gone deathly quiet.......and glaring at me...:o

No, just glad that according to recently published figures Hyndburn, and Oswaldtwistle imparticular, has seen the biggest price increases for housing in the country, so that you'll never be able to afford to move back here.;):D

talentedbutslow 03-05-2006 10:37

Hmmpphhhhhhhhh.....:p

thindle 04-05-2006 20:39

Never mind community wardens, we NEED more policemen patroling. If parents and teachers can't control youngsters. Community wardens have no chance. And what's Jubilee Gardens? The things that were there before, were pulled down to make way for The J Gardens. If they had been looked after they would still be nice now. Same as the fountain near Scaitcliffe House not looked after... demolished and an old wheel stuck there instead.Wasting rate payers money, again, and again and again. Same as the town centre, loads of money spent. and what.. half the shops empty half dead trees and not enough seating. Why oh why could we not have had Broadway with a glass roof , so that when it's raining people can do their shopping undercover. And sit if they want. Like they can in Blackburn and other places. Come on Hyndburn pull your finger and get something done NOW!!! :engsmil: P S. Look what they've done to Church
It's a disgrace there's nothing left to take away now. Everythings gone.