Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/)
-   -   Rhyddings park history ?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/rhyddings-park-history-5521.html)

simon 08-09-2004 12:57

Rhyddings park history ??

On moving into our house a few years ago, I embarked on doing some research on the history of Rhyddings park. Found some interesting information about things in the park and their origins, Most fascinating was the house that once stood proud in the "park" which was the garden for this splendid house.Ryhddings Hall.
The picture's that excist on file in they library are wonderful to look at, the house was built for mill owner Mr Watson, and was a beautiful building, after this house was given to the council they in there wisdom used and abused it until they chose to demolish it along with part of our Beautiful heritage.:mad:
I will not dribble on at length about the many things you can find in your local library given TIME..

But I did wonder if anyone else had done any research into this bit of history????? Because one thing I have tried to find out about without results is the fact that Rhyddings hall was built on the site of what was described as " Rhyddings old hall" which made my mind wander as to what this was?? But can not find any information on this.... Can anyone else help???

Atarah 08-09-2004 23:10

Rhyddings park history

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, sorry I cannot add any further information, but .. here's an old post card view for you.

simon 09-09-2004 18:28

Re: Rhyddings park history ??

Thank's Atarah :) Not seen that pic before.....The left side of the building as we see it in this picture, Just out of sight was a wonderful large "Conservatory" on the side..

Acrylic-bob 19-10-2004 21:18

The house was also owned by the Bulough family around the turn of the century.

WillowTheWhisp 19-10-2004 21:57

It's tragic that we had so many fine buildings which are now lost.

Darby 20-10-2004 06:02

Very interesting Simon...I don't know how I missed this thread for so long.

It seems strage that the "new" Rhyddings Hall should be built on the site of the "old" Rhyddings Hall. Now just what was that and when was it built. I haven't seen any old maps of Ossy, but there must be some, somewhere.

Funny isn't it that something that happened only a 150 years or so ago, is now lost. I wish I could go into the Library and have a look myself. Is Ossy library still open?

simon 20-10-2004 13:36

Hi Darby, Yes Ossy library is open and that was my first port of call for research a while ago. But they told me such history is at Accrington library, which is where I spent a while looking into it :)

One photo I saw showed people queing up to enter the newly opened Rhydding's park in 1910 ish, To see how everybody dressed up for the occasion (despite poverty) was fascinating. Pride it was called ;) .

When I get time to find any old pic's again I will scan them and let you all have a look.

Atarah 28-10-2004 08:01

Rhyddings park history

The earliest mention I can find of Rhyddings is this - it was formerly the home of the Riddings family. It was certainly there in the 1500's. This old hall was pulled down in 1853 by Mr Robert Watson and he erected Rhyddings Hall in 1854 - the estate was very extensive, the entrance to the grounds beginning at Rhyddings Mill (erected 1856). The hall was occupied by the Bullough family for a time, but in 1910 the hall and grounds were purchased by the District Council for a public park. Most of the pictures in the gallery were given to the Council by the late John Bradley, of St Annes, who was of an old Oswaldtwistle family. One of the paintings in the gallery is one by Cattermole of an old English homestead in the 17th century. (have a feeling this may be up Haworth Art Gallery!)

The old tower left in the grounds (I am assuming this is still there????) is said to have been a portion of old Rhyddings Hall.

simon 29-10-2004 18:09

Thank's a lot Atarah, very interesting. yes the tower is still there but if left to decay much more and HBC will be pulling it down for HEALTH and SAFETY :(

Where do you find your info Atarah ?? Or is that a secret:)

Atarah 29-10-2004 23:09

Rhyddings park history

1 Attachment(s)
Where do you find your info Atarah ?? Or is that a secret:)

I just go back in time ........

MCR ADIM 27-11-2004 09:44

yeh the parkis class waith the new playground now just were all mi mates go n hang out

park381 24-12-2004 16:04

Re: Rhyddings park history

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah
The earliest mention I can find of Rhyddings is this - it was formerly the home of the Riddings family. It was certainly there in the 1500's. This old hall was pulled down in 1853 by Mr Robert Watson and he erected Rhyddings Hall in 1854 - the estate was very extensive, the entrance to the grounds beginning at Rhyddings Mill (erected 1856). The hall was occupied by the Bullough family for a time, but in 1910 the hall and grounds were purchased by the District Council for a public park. Most of the pictures in the gallery were given to the Council by the late John Bradley, of St Annes, who was of an old Oswaldtwistle family. One of the paintings in the gallery is one by Cattermole of an old English homestead in the 17th century. (have a feeling this may be up Haworth Art Gallery!)

The old tower left in the grounds (I am assuming this is still there????) is said to have been a portion of old Rhyddings Hall.

Yes the "old tower is still there, but now in a poor state of repair as are most areas of the park, the only thing thats in good condition is "the new childrens play area" but I'm sure that will soon be damaged

park381 24-12-2004 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCR ADIM
yeh the parkis class waith the new playground now just were all mi mates go n hang out

Assume you are over 12 years old, so that will be at night EH!

park381 24-12-2004 17:48

Hi
This the Tower
http://www.dwtechservices.co.uk/avatars/P4060004.JPG

simon 03-02-2005 12:44

Some nice pics of ryhddings hall :)

http://www.ossygobbin2003.fotopic.net/p954768.html