Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Hall Of Fame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/)
-   -   Snooker tables (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/snooker-tables-28500.html)

YellaStanley 15-02-2007 01:13

Snooker tables

Riley's, always seen at Crucible etc.

cashman 08-03-2007 23:02

Re: Snooker tables

yep E.J.RILEYS world famous for snooker tables, i once took george best there,you could drive up meadow street from whalley rd in those days.:)

Oldschoolthai 06-12-2009 13:02

George Best purchased a snooker table around 1969/70 from Riley's. My dad worked there and was photographed with him which was autographed by George. It started my love affair with Man U, so if you're the one that took him to buy it............cheers!

Oldschoolthai 06-12-2009 13:05

If I remember right, the table was put in his Cheshire home which was somewhat weird looking but novel. Also a gadget in his car opened up his garage which was quite something in those days.

cashman 06-12-2009 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldschoolthai (Post 767952)
George Best purchased a snooker table around 1969/70 from Riley's. My dad worked there and was photographed with him which was autographed by George. It started my love affair with Man U, so if you're the one that took him to buy it............cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldschoolthai (Post 767953)
If I remember right, the table was put in his Cheshire home which was somewhat weird looking but novel. Also a gadget in his car opened up his garage which was quite something in those days.

it did go in his cheshire home, didn't really take him as such, he just stopped me in his 2 tone E-Type on manchester rd bash n asked me where it was, as i lived just around corner i bummed a lift off him, we stopped at royal oak on meadow st, were i was goin fer a pint n he came in wi me, had a couple of drinks n then popped up to rileys fer his snooker table.:D;) theres a bit more to that tale, but kids come on here pmsl

wadey 06-12-2009 21:01

Did they end up at Rosegrove, Burnley ?

jaysay 07-12-2009 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 768039)
Did they end up at Rosegrove, Burnley ?

No they moved to Padiham in th late 70s early 80s

wadey 07-12-2009 13:57

Thanks

Mikejoed 09-05-2011 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 394926)
yep E.J.RILEYS world famous for snooker tables, i once took george best there,you could drive up meadow street from whalley rd in those days.:)

I'm sure there's a picture in the library archives of George Best buying his snooker table at Rileys

jaysay 09-05-2011 18:10

I remember going over to Rileys at Padiham in the early 80s at the request of Eric Parke, who was a director of Rileys, they wanted me to take a look at a prototype of a pool table they were thinking of marketing at the time. When I arrived Steve Davis and his minder were just going in at the same time, he had just won the world championship the previous week, but he was a really nice bloke to talk no airs and grace, just a down to earth chap really

cashman 09-05-2011 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikejoed (Post 904924)
I'm sure there's a picture in the library archives of George Best buying his snooker table at Rileys

Bet there aint one of him n me having a slurp in the Royal Oak just before he bought it.:D

walkinman221 10-05-2011 21:54

Me dad had a friend and his son fitted tables for rileys he went to Nigel mansells home on the isle of man to put one in for him. He said he was the most miserable ****** he had ever worked for.He also went to Hong kong and they fitted 147 snooker tables in ONE snooker club:eek::eek:

Gremlin 11-05-2011 07:54

A few snooker players came to Riley's when they were in Accrington.
I lived just round the corner on Hood street at the time and had a few suits made by the little Italian tailor on Meadow street ( next street). He showed my photos of some of the players who came into his shop.
I was given a decent suit length of cloth by my guv'ner and the tailor made me a suit. My claim to fame is; there wasn't enough material to make a waistcoat so the tailor made a contrasting one using the spare material left over from the suit he had just made for Dennis Taylor when he won the final.

DaveinGermany 11-05-2011 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 905294)
there wasn't enough material to make a waistcoat so the tailor made a contrasting one

The Original John Virgo ! :) "No Dad, not the waistcoat !" :eek:

jaysay 11-05-2011 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 905321)
The Original John Virgo ! :) "No Dad, not the waistcoat !" :eek:

Once Refereed an exhibition match for John Virgo at the 147 club in Hassy, couldn't keep score for laughing, seeing he brought Steve Davis, Alex Higgins, Denis Taylor, Cliff Thorburn and a few more along with him, twas a laugh a minute:)