Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Hall Of Fame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/)
-   -   Accrington Stanley Johnson (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/accrington-stanley-johnson-50905.html)

Bob Dobson 18-12-2009 17:00

Accrington Stanley Johnson

Some years ago there was a piece in the Observer about 'Accrington Stranley Johnson' He was an Accy chap, educated at the grammar school, who had come into a bob or two and now spent the year touring the world watching test cricket. Stan died in his sleep a week or so age in New Zealand aged 72yrs. . His father was a big Stanley fan and named his son in honour of the lads. Stan himself was a top footballer and cricketer at schoool, being in the first X1. He wasted no opportunity to tell the people he met all over the world about his home town.

katex 18-12-2009 17:19

Re: Accrington Stanley Johnson

4 Attachment(s)
Is this him Bob ?

Attachment 15110 First row ... Left to right ... first in.

Attachment 15111

Attachment 15112

Ignore the thumbnail one .. was a mistake, and can't delete.

Bob Dobson 18-12-2009 19:01

Truth is, i don't know. I remember some of these lads from when I was a first former, but not Stan Johnson. Please will you email them to me direct and I will then get them put onto the new Accrington Grammar school Old Boys website ( Welcome from the Headmaster)

accybill 19-12-2009 11:45

Bob
Right click on the photos and save to your PC.

Barrie Yates 19-12-2009 14:19

Thank you Katex - they are a year or so ahead of me but I did play in the same teams as some of them - Thank you XX

katex 19-12-2009 16:06

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 770831)
Thank you Katex - they are a year or so ahead of me but I did play in the same teams as some of them - Thank you XX

Seems you were more of a Rugby man Barrie. ;)

Attachment 15115

Ok .. what's it worth for me to not put the one of you up in 'Devil's Disciple' heeheehee.

Barrie Yates 19-12-2009 17:20

Katex - I hated rugby - but Boris thought I was one of the chosen! I playeds football into my mid-40s, played for the RAF Officers Icarus Team for over 8 years, even got on the fringe of the full RAF squad one season - they were desperate.
The Rugby photo was so embarrassing as my lads saw it - the way i had gone on about Rugby came back with a vemgeance as 2 of them were very good rugby players. Still love you though XXX

Bob Dobson 20-12-2009 10:07

I have learned that Stan has left some dosh in his will for some of his Barmy Army cricket friends to spend on visiting a number of overseas cricket grounds, there to scatter his ashes. If they have not visited all the grounds before there are no ashes left, then they are to buy certain local beers and spread those. I am unaware if the beers have to be drunk before this takes place. There is to be a funeral service of remembrance in Accrington in the near future.I am hooping to be there, along with the president of the Accrington Grammar School Old Boys who will be wearing his 'badge of office' - a 1950s school cap. I think Stan would have approved of this.