Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Hall Of Fame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/)
-   -   Spencer and Beaty chest Expanders (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/spencer-and-beaty-chest-expanders-58288.html)

NJSP 19-06-2011 15:57

Spencer and Beaty chest Expanders

These were made originally in Oz by my Grandad Spencer, when he died it was sold to the Yanks and called SPENBY chest expanders.

Nigel Packer

flashy 19-06-2011 16:47

Re: Spencer and Beaty chest Expanders

Congratulations

jaysay 20-06-2011 09:08

Re: Spencer and Beauty chest Expanders

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJSP (Post 913124)
These were made originally in Oz by my Grandad Spencer, when he died it was sold to the Yanks and called SPENBY chest expanders.

Nigel Packer

When I was a teenager it was owned by a man called Tom Baldwin and his brother, he was a member of Rhyddings Methodist Church and ran the Youth Club on a Friday night in the adjacent school, he had a son called John, who worked within the business and a Daughter called Margaret who I dated on and off for about 2 years, in fact Tom actually gave me a pair of chest expanders, think he must have thought I might have needed them to handle his offspring:D

Pudwoppa 23-06-2011 10:48

Re: Spencer and Beaty chest Expanders

Some for sale here on ebay. Description says Spenby with Oswaldtwistle, Lancs written on exercise instructions.

garinda 01-07-2011 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 913216)
When I was a teenager it was owned by a man called Tom Baldwin and his brother, he was a member of Rhyddings Methodist Church and ran the Youth Club on a Friday night in the adjacent school, he had a son called John, who worked within the business and a Daughter called Margaret who I dated on and off for about 2 years, in fact Tom actually gave me a pair of chest expanders, think he must have thought I might have needed them to handle his offspring:D

I never knew that.

I knew Tom, and his wife Mae, from church, and because we lived near them up Stanhill.

My mum saw Mae recently, and said she still looked well for her age.

Will have to ask her about the chest expanders.

garinda 01-07-2011 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 913216)

Just being picky, incase the Wesleyan police are snooping, it was known as Mount Pleasant Chapel, at the time you are referring to.

It wasn't until York Street, and Foxhill Bank churches merged with it in 1971, that it changed it's name to Rhyddings Methodist.

:)

garinda 01-07-2011 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 916016)
Just being picky, incase the Wesleyan police are snooping, it was known as Mount Pleasant Chapel, at the time you are referring to.

It wasn't until York Street, and Foxhill Bank churches merged with it in 1971, that it changed it's name to Rhyddings Methodist.

:)

I only know because my dad was on the building committee, and was against them using Mount Pleasant. Saying it needed a lot of money spent on it, in the long term, plus it would need an extra church hall, to house the Sunday schools.

He was out voted, because some daft sods thought it was a more pleasing building. Not usually high on a Wesleyan agenda, aesthetics.

Guess my dad was right.

York Street's still standing, unlike the original Mount Pleasant Chapel.

:rolleyes:

jaysay 02-07-2011 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 916015)
I never knew that.

I knew Tom, and his wife Mae, from church, and because we lived near them up Stanhill.

My mum saw Mae recently, and said she still looked well for her age.

Will have to ask her about the chest expanders.

Well you've told me something there G. didn't realise Mae was still alive, she must be in her 90s now, I know Tom died quite a long time ago and I haven't seen Margaret or John for years, must be nearly 30 years since I saw John and the last time I saw Margaret it was at Oak college (think that's what it was called) open day, when I went with Ken Hargreaves, she was there because her daughter was starting there the following term that's 20 years ago

jaysay 02-07-2011 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 916018)
I only know because my dad was on the building committee, and was against them using Mount Pleasant. Saying it needed a lot of money spent on it, in the long term, plus it would need an extra church hall, to house the Sunday schools.

He was out voted, because some daft sods thought it was a more pleasing building. Not usually high on a Wesleyan agenda, aesthetics.

Guess my dad was right.

York Street's still standing, unlike the original Mount Pleasant Chapel.

:rolleyes:

Ya your right it was Mount Pleasant, slipped my mind, but it was a lovely building true Wesleyan architecture, but as you say its long gone