Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Hall Of Fame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/)
-   -   Ron Hill, freeman of the borough (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/ron-hill-freeman-of-the-borough-61875.html)

Bob Dobson 11-07-2012 09:22

Ron Hill, freeman of the borough

Last night in a ceremony in the Town Hall, Ron Hill was presented with the freedom of the borough. The sprightly, fit-as-a-butcher's dog,73yrs old is till running daily even though his world record days and Olympic appearances occurred 40yrs ago. In a gracious acceptance speech, he recalled his days at Spring Hill, Accrington Grammar School, and joining Clayton Harriers before giving a resume of his carreer in which he has raced in a hundred countries. The chamber was filled with friends, family ,Grammar School Old Boys and Harriers.
Afterwards, the Mayor laid on exccellent refreshments in the Whitaker Arms. However, it was some time before Ron appeared, as she had gone on a run up the Coppice with 45 Harriers and members of the Accrington Road Runners. This surely cannot have happened in any other borough in the land.
It came out that the council have got Ron in mind for a street name. I pointed out that there already is a Hill Street, but they have a Ron Hill Street in mind.

smobile 11-07-2012 09:27

Re: Ron Hill, freeman of the borough

As long as it's not Ron Hill Walk :D

Barrie Yates 11-07-2012 12:05

A great evening for a great individual

Atarah 11-07-2012 17:24

I have to ask, cos I dont know.

What exactly do you get for being a "Freeman of the Borough".

Cant be free bus rides, cos Ron is past that magical age, cant be free car parking, cos we have a lot of those anyway in Accrington. (I type these comments with a smile on my face, but I really would like to know what it entails?)

Barrie Yates 11-07-2012 17:33

One thing is that he can take his flock of sheep through the town - so it was said last night at the investiture - but they would have to run fast:D

jaysay 11-07-2012 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1002282)
I have to ask, cos I dont know.

What exactly do you get for being a "Freeman of the Borough".

Cant be free bus rides, cos Ron is past that magical age, cant be free car parking, cos we have a lot of those anyway in Accrington. (I type these comments with a smile on my face, but I really would like to know what it entails?)

Think you can herd your sheep through Accy town centre when ever you want:D

TubbyLes 11-07-2012 18:07

1 Attachment(s)
Our group of Accrington Grammar School old boys,Ron Hill:Les. Rooks:Barrie Yates:Jim Southcott:Gordon Pollock:David Stark:Bob Dobson.

DaveinGermany 11-07-2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyLes (Post 1002293)
Our group of Accrington Grammar School old boys,Ron Hill:Les. Rooks:Barrie Yates:Jim Southcott:Gordon Pollock:David Stark:Bob Dobson.

Okaaay, so whose is the Handbag under the table then ??? Probably that Manky U fans, you know how they are when things don't go their way, it's all pout, flounce & handbags at 6 yards. ;) :D

jaysay 11-07-2012 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1002305)
Okaaay, so whose is the Handbag under the table then ??? Probably that Manky U fans, you know how they are when things don't go their way, it's all pout, flounce & handbags at 6 yards. ;) :D

There'll be a lot of that next season Dave:D

Bob Dobson 11-07-2012 19:53

It belongs to the photographer, who was using Tubby Les' camera whilst he looked after her chair. She seemed to be very friendly with Barrie Yates and got really excited when meeting a lad from Hyndburn Park

Bob Dobson 11-07-2012 19:55

I've been told that Ron got good coverage in the 6pm Granad News, so likely he will be mentioned in the 10pm slot

maxthecollie 11-07-2012 19:59

Yes it was very good coverage.

Barrie Yates 12-07-2012 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1002307)
There'll be a lot of that next season Dave:D

I am sure that Jay will know whose handbag it is:D

Will the scousers have leeks, provided by the new manager, in there handbags next season - they had plenty in their defence last season:rolleyes::D

jaysay 12-07-2012 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1002368)
I am sure that Jay will know whose handbag it is:D

Will the scousers have leeks, provided by the new manager, in there handbags next season - they had plenty in their defence last season:rolleyes::D

Ya but they still managed to win a trophy:p:p:p Remind me what did the Plastics win:jimbo:

Mancie 13-07-2012 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1002374)
Ya but they still managed to win a trophy:p:p:p Remind me what did the Plastics win:jimbo:

Not sure what footy has to do with all this, but the new plastic scouser seems to be getting into the glory hunting spirit already :D:D