Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Internet Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/)
-   -   Free websites (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/free-websites-25808.html)

silvermain 13-11-2006 12:14

Free websites

Anyone know of any that will allow me to host pitctures and text on a number of pages?

WillowTheWhisp 13-11-2006 12:21

Re: Free websites

Yahoo geocities?

Mick 13-11-2006 12:27

Accringtonweb.com have a gallery too if you look you already have space on there

silvermain 13-11-2006 12:31

Oh no this is going to a site about complaing about stuff in general lol.

Mick 13-11-2006 12:33

so you want to set a website up?

silvermain 13-11-2006 12:37

Yes but would like a free one first to "test the water" if you would.

Mick 13-11-2006 12:42

you could try this one
Forum Software / Message Board Software: Guide to Software for Discussion Forums, Message Boards, BBS / Bulletin Boards, and Groupware, for Intranets and the Web

or

phpBB.com :: Creating Communities

WillowTheWhisp 13-11-2006 12:54

Do you want to create a website or a message board? Mind you, you could do both.

accymel 13-11-2006 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermain
Oh no this is going to a site about complaing about stuff in general lol.

Complaining about what ?:confused:

entwisi 13-11-2006 13:15

Quote:

Yes but would like a free one first to "test the water" if you would.

If your PC is on all teh time you could use it to run your site till you know its a go-er.

I would recommend talking to people who know what they are talking about from a firewall/security aspect but its not difficult to do(I'm happy to give you my expertise on this). I have a small linux server you can have for a small amount of beer tokens(just to cover the Hard disk thats in it, the rest is pretty much throw away spec nowadays but it will happily cope with 20-30 concurrent users as long as you aren't utilising all your ISP bandwidth with P2P or anything else like that. )

NB some ISPs ban the use of home webservers so you may wish to test it first before going through the hassle of setting it all up, I can help/advise you if you want.

Ian

silvermain 13-11-2006 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
If your PC is on all teh time you could use it to run your site till you know its a go-er.

I would recommend talking to people who know what they are talking about from a firewall/security aspect but its not difficult to do(I'm happy to give you my expertise on this). I have a small linux server you can have for a small amount of beer tokens(just to cover the Hard disk thats in it, the rest is pretty much throw away spec nowadays but it will happily cope with 20-30 concurrent users as long as you aren't utilising all your ISP bandwidth with P2P or anything else like that. )

NB some ISPs ban the use of home webservers so you may wish to test it first before going through the hassle of setting it all up, I can help/advise you if you want.

Ian

LOL i was with you all the way to firewall/security lol

silvermain 13-11-2006 16:04

Really all i want is a free one to write on about different topics and a few pictures. Not after much really. Cant you get them with .tv at the end of it?

WillowTheWhisp 13-11-2006 16:08

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

silvermain 13-11-2006 16:27

Yeah that will do cheers.

entwisi 14-11-2006 09:10

Quote:

LOL i was with you all the way to firewall/security lol

This is just the problem, People see Computers and the Internet as an 'easy' thing (yeh I can use a computer.) but in reality they know very little about them and don't want to learn.

When they get bitten on the bum they start wingeing.

If you really want to learn about building and running a website then you need to do some research yourself on both techniacl aspects of building one to legal requirements (DDA, copyright, libel etc)

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2006 09:54

Aw bless, everybody has to start somewhere.

Less 14-11-2006 10:08

Quote:

This is just the problem, People see Computers and the Internet as an 'easy' thing (yeh I can use a computer.) but in reality they know very little about them and don't want to learn.

When they get bitten on the bum they start wingeing.

If you really want to learn about building and running a website then you need to do some research yourself on both techniacl aspects of building one to legal requirements (DDA, copyright, libel etc)

Don't waste your time wait until he comes on screaming!:)

entwisi 14-11-2006 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Aw bless, everybody has to start somewhere.

yes they do hence me giving him some pointers, encourageing him to run it locally on his machine etc.

I've never not been willing to offer advice or answer Qs I would however like people to do a little research themselves first.

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2006 10:49

I remember when I first started out wanting to make little graphics somebody blinded me with science and after the first couple of sentences. :D It was enough to put me off for life - vector layers and raster layers and inverted selections!!! I can sometimes forget what it was like back then when I didn't know the proper names for anything. I do still tend to talk about thingummies and wassanames and I sometimes hope I'm not sounding patronising when people ask for help to do things because I want to be sure they understand so I try to explain as clearly and in as much detail as possible. (with pics) Somtimes they may know what they want but can't explain it properly which can be a bit challenging at times but we get there in the end.

Not long ago somebody asked for a button, but what he asked for wasn't too clear so I had a stab at what I thought he meant but asked for more info if I'd got it wrong. He insisted I hadn't done what he'd asked for but didn't explain any more so I had another go. Then he got annoyed because THAT wasn't what he wanted. It turned out that what he had wanted was what I'd done in the first place but he hadn't saved it properly so had seen the wrong thing. We got there in the end.
:D

KIPAX 14-11-2006 11:00

The problem with making websites.... Fred Bloggs or whoever.. gets a PC for crimbo and fires up some free microsoft software.. frontpage express maybe... Makes a fantastic looking web page in half an hr and can't believe how easy it is...within a week of getting his new computer he is packing his job in and thinking of a name for his new web design company cus he is so brilliant at it..

It happenn.. believe me it does... but what is worse.. theres always someone gullible enough to buy one off him :)

lancsdave 14-11-2006 11:22

Quote:

So ECDL is not the equivalent of an IT Degree then ? :D

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2006 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX

It happenn.. believe me it does... but what is worse.. theres always someone gullible enough to buy one off him :)

:D You aren't thinking what I'm thinking by any chance are you? ;)

Actually, regarding this thread I think all silvermain wanted was one of those "slot your piccy in this gap" type of prefabricated things.

KIPAX 14-11-2006 11:37

Oh oops.. sorry silvermain I wasnt reffering to your good self... I was generalising.. hope ya didn't read it personally... :)

silvermain 14-11-2006 19:25

Yes i did and im mad as hellnow lol nah its ok pal. Yep thats right willow my little bundle of fluff just an easy one for now. And here it is...

MyComplaints | The site where complaints are welcome

Have a look if you like but its just me ranting on about stuff.