Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Internet Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/)
-   -   Wifi in pubs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/wifi-in-pubs-56471.html)

gynn 18-01-2011 21:37

Wifi in pubs

A lot of pubs now offer wifi facilities for customers who want to use their laptops to access the Internet.

But one of the problems is the protocol about plugging your lap top into the mains.

If I go into a pub and want to use my laptop, do I:

1. Switch on in battery mode, hoping that I'll complete everything I need to do before the battery dies.
2. Find a convenient corner of the pub with a socket conveniently placed so that I can surrepticiously plug in without the landlord noticing, or..
3. Be upfront with the landlord and ask him if its ok to plug in, fearing the inevitable embarrassment and humiliation that a negative response will illicit?

We need a protocol. The pub needs to make it crystal clear what is available and acceptable. If they feel it is a drain on their electricicity bill, then by all means make a charge. I'd happily pay the going rate, plus whatever percentage the landlord wants to impose.

But for gods sake, make it clear!

DaveinGermany 18-01-2011 21:46

Re: Wifi in pubs

Why would you want a lap top in a pub anyway ? You're there to have a beer or something to eat surely ? On top of that you may get Beer spilt on it or even worse nicked ! :confused:

Neil 18-01-2011 21:50

How about

3. Get a laptop that can be used for more than a couple of hours without needing to be charged up.

After all what's the point of a laptop if it needs to be tied to the wall?

Alan Varrechia 18-01-2011 22:21

Take lap-top home. Then go to pub and enjoy yourself, What are pubs turning into these days, you want to carry on working stay in the office and leave the pub for those that want to enjoy themselves.
It's bad enough being sat at a table with friends trying to enjoy yourself and some one spends all their time on a mobile speaking or texting.
There rant over.....:(:(:(

gynn 18-01-2011 22:37

Ok so my question has given you the opportunity to have a cheap dig at people using laptops in pubs...........

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

When you've all finished, can we get back to my question. If a pub provides wifi facilities, what is the protocol for providing mains electricity?

Neil 18-01-2011 22:42

I have done it when working away from home and see nothing wrong with it.

Less 18-01-2011 22:56

You walk into the pub, walk confidently up to the bar, greet the landlord with, "good day my fine fellow I shall have a pint of your finest ales & drinks all around for your customers, before you pour the beers could you just direct me to a vacant socket so I can charge up my poser machine, Thank you".
Though, I wouldn't try it in the railway, you may get killed by the stampede of accywebbers fighting their way to the bar for the free drinks.

shillelagh 19-01-2011 00:04

but less .. the accyweb research team may not be in the railway when he goes in ....:D

Eric 19-01-2011 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 876490)
but less .. the accyweb research team may not be in the railway when he goes in ....:D

I got the impression they lived there:D

gynn 19-01-2011 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 876486)
You walk into the pub, walk confidently up to the bar, greet the landlord with, "good day my fine fellow I shall have a pint of your finest ales & drinks all around for your customers, before you pour the beers could you just direct me to a vacant socket so I can charge up my poser machine, Thank you".
Though, I wouldn't try it in the railway, you may get killed by the stampede of accywebbers fighting their way to the bar for the free drinks.

Does the Railway have electricity?

steeljack 19-01-2011 06:01

try the local Starbucks they have free WiFi , maybe , you never know you may have a chance to meet Accy webber Less whilst he is ordering a ' a grande extra hot soy with extra foam, split shot with a half squirt of sugar-free vanilla and a half squirt of sugar-free cinnamon, a half packet of splenda, oh and put that in a venti cup and fill up the "room" with extra whipped cream with carmel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top

second thoughts I doubt somehow ;) :D :D

entwisi 19-01-2011 07:00

just ask, its not embarrassing to be told no sorry.

After all, if they want your business and you are obviously not going to nurse half a pint of shandy for 6 hours then there shouldnt be an issue. If its likely to be a regular occurrance in that you are in that area a lot, need a base for a pint and a butty at lunch time then its in his interest to make you welcome.

sean2008 19-01-2011 12:42

You can now buy a external battery thats rechargeable that should get you a couple of hours extra and plugs into the charger socket on the laptop, if they do say no