Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Internet Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/)
-   -   HMRC refund emails (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/hmrc-refund-emails-58062.html)

willdinnerguest 29-05-2011 13:45

HMRC refund emails

I just thought I'd pass on a bit of knowledge to you all that you may be interested to know.

If you get an email from HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs AKA The tax office) it will always, and I mean always be a hoax.

I used to work for HMRC (and have friends who still do) and they do not use emails to contact people. They hardly use email at all - they are about 10 years behind in technology)

The emails look very genuine even to me but will never be - they don't use terminology such as 'fiscal year' which the emails do.

HM Revenue & Customs: HM Revenue & Customs related phishing examples (I hope that link works)

If you get any email you should forward it (without opening) to [email protected]

If I can stop one person being caught out then the post was worth it. You may want to tell any elderly relatives who use the internet/email as they may fall for the scam.

Margaret Pilkington 29-05-2011 14:11

Re: HMRC refund emails

I always assume that these are fake.......and they all go to the same place....file 13!

emzy 29-05-2011 15:24

I've had a few of these, but luckily knew they were fake (not paid tax in a few years so clearly havnt overpaid them) but the ex nearly fell for it and rang me (he is self employed) reminded him they dont have his email as a contact anyway but people can easily be fooled, even those who think are quite well up on these things, its always nice to get a warning to incase :)

Gremlin 29-05-2011 18:21

It's a pity a lot more people don't think like we do, that way it would save them a lot of heartache later. I suppose you, like me, get emails from the bank saying that after the computer crash they need to update your records and need your bank account details. If I get any emails from a so called bank I don't even open them, just click the delete key.

I will keep my eye open for one from the tax man (with a mask on) and certainly forward it to the link you suggest.

willdinnerguest 29-05-2011 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 909410)
I always assume that these are fake.......and they all go to the same place....file 13!

Glad to hear it Margaret. You may be surprised at how many people think they are real - especially self employed people.

willdinnerguest 29-05-2011 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 909451)
I suppose you, like me, get emails from the bank saying that they need to update your records and need your bank account details.

Yeas - there are usually from banks that I don't (and never had) even have an account with??!!??:confused:

Margaret Pilkington 29-05-2011 21:19

I reckon that most of it is wishful thinking.
It is a bit like when someone rings me up to tell me I have won a fabulous all expenses paid Holiday.
I always ask 'How?....... because I haven't entered any competition'........yes, I might be past the flush of youth, but I can still use the old grey matter.

cashman 29-05-2011 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 909500)
I reckon that most of it is wishful thinking.
It is a bit like when someone rings me up to tell me I have won a fabulous all expenses paid Holiday.
I always ask 'How?....... because I haven't entered any competition'........yes, I might be past the flush of youth, but I can still use the old grey matter.

oh i used to get loads of them, till i started leaving phone n goin in other room, seems to have stopped now.:D

Studio25 30-05-2011 08:15

The benefit of multiple email addresses. Use one for "official" business, one for friends and family, and one for mailing lists and public posts. Fakes coming into the latter two addresses are easily identified without even opening them.

Although HMRC don't use email, it might be an idea to use a fourth address for government-related communications. Sony and one or two other organisations have had high-profile losses of personal data, but the government has done it repeatedly. Any moderately plausible email from a non-government organisation to this address may be spam, but also indicates another loss from a laptop or memory stick.

jaysay 30-05-2011 08:27

Think the yard stick is if it looks to good to be true, it is

yerself 31-05-2011 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin
If I get any emails from a so called bank I don't even open them, just click the delete key.

If anyone gets e-mails purporting to be from a bank here's the place to forward them:

Bank Safe Online

1. Forwarding your suspect email
Open the suspect email, click the forward button, and send it to the following email address: [email protected]

jaysay 31-05-2011 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 909703)
If anyone gets e-mails purporting to be from a bank here's the place to forward them:

Bank Safe Online

1. Forwarding your suspect email
Open the suspect email, click the forward button, and send it to the following email address: [email protected]

Thanks for that yerself its very handy as I'm always getting these flaming emails:mad: