Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/church-5126.html)

Gobsmacked 17-09-2004 08:18

Re: church

That looks more like a trestle than a viaduct. How old is the image?

Tealeaf 17-09-2004 08:19

Excellent photograph, Atarah...........I'm pretty sure thats the one I've seen elsewhere before. From an architectural & engineering viewpoint it does'nt quite tie in with the style that we're used to, but I believe it was originally designed like that to minimise the weight load on the soft ground below. The view is from roughly Blackburn Rd.

Atarah 17-09-2004 08:21

Hi, the railway was brought over the canal at Aspen by a bridge and then across Aspen Valley on a bridge of wooden trestles carrying a single line 70 feet above the stream. It was built on piles in a trestle form because the ground provided a poor foundation for masonry. It was almost destroyed by fire before it came into use May 1848. Clever stuff, eh?

Darby 17-09-2004 08:40

Lovely Piccy Atarah...That's the one I've seen before.

jackiehaworth 10-05-2011 13:11

hi linda
im malc capsticks niece, and he aint changed, he still lives in accrington, now hes an antique dealer and landlord, hes not as bad as he used to be, single man still intouch with the armstrongs larrence and brian, hope your well take care xx jackie haworth

jaysay 10-05-2011 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackiehaworth (Post 905120)
hi linda
im malc capsticks niece, and he aint changed, he still lives in accrington, now hes an antique dealer and landlord, hes not as bad as he used to be, single man still intouch with the armstrongs larrence and brian, hope your well take care xx jackie haworth

Have you seen the date on this thread its 2004;)

junetta 10-05-2011 22:51

Really interesting though x

jaysay 11-05-2011 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 905265)
Really interesting though x

Well it is if your called Bee june:D

tonyp 10-07-2011 21:41

Was the bank across from the post office in the 1950s called the Trustess savings bank

Atarah 10-07-2011 22:51

Just gonna look in an old book I have

Bob Dobson 11-07-2011 08:25

Come on Atarah, get a move on girl. . In 1951 there were branches of the Manchester & County,the District, the Midland & the Union Bank of Manchester.One of these would later become ( I think) Martin's. I don't recall a TSB, which in those days was the Blackburn TSB. The PO was in Market St.

jaysay 11-07-2011 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyp (Post 917978)
Was the bank across from the post office in the 1950s called the Trustess savings bank

Think it was still there in the early 70s, can remember cashing a check there from a job I did, nearly sure it was TSB

WillowTheWhisp 11-07-2011 09:18

Yes it was the TSB. It was number 10 Market Street. I worked there. It was originally Blackburn Trustee Savings Bank and then later amalgamated with others to become Lancashire and Cumbria TSB. In the early days the upstairs was a flat which was rented out, as was the case with many branches of the BTSB. The same front door was used but then inside there was a locked side door which led through to the bank which was downstairs. The stairs led directly up from the entrance hallway (lobby) into the flat. There was also a cellar which constrantly had to be pumped dry of water or it would fill to a level of about 3 feet.

At night when we worked late once a year for the annual balance we would see armies of cockroaches marching across from the post office to the bank and back! The fumes from Blythes used to corode the brass door fittings and at times the stink was horrendous. Oh happy days.

jaysay 11-07-2011 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 918036)
Yes it was the TSB. It was number 10 Market Street. I worked there. It was originally Blackburn Trustee Savings Bank and then later amalgamated with others to become Lancashire and Cumbria TSB. In the early days the upstairs was a flat which was rented out, as was the case with many branches of the BTSB. The same front door was used but then inside there was a locked side door which led through to the bank which was downstairs. The stairs led directly up from the entrance hallway (lobby) into the flat. There was also a cellar which constrantly had to be pumped dry of water or it would fill to a level of about 3 feet.

At night when we worked late once a year for the annual balance we would see armies of cockroaches marching across from the post office to the bank and back! The fumes from Blythes used to corode the brass door fittings and at times the stink was horrendous. Oh happy days.

Ah that purple writing, nice to see you post on here again Willow, hope you stick around

HOTPOT47 30-12-2018 18:10

Its been over 40 years since I left Church, and I return about a year ago What as happen I used to live at 13 Henry St, then 12 Water St they both gone, thank goodness the house in Regent Rd up Dill Hall is still there.