Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Church Cricket Club (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/church-cricket-club-52335.html)

Bob Dobson 18-03-2010 19:20

Church Cricket Club

Church cricketers lead the field. They are in the world rankings.

I am prompted to write this after reading a piece in today's Observer about Church having the whole of their Lancashire League fixture results from 1894 to the present, on their website. Quote " Church could be the first grass roots club to collate and preserve its statistical history in the manner and detail which is now available" -I have it on the authority of a nationally-recognised cricket historian that they ARE the first.

If the boundary wall at Church were still there, I'd be out wi' t' whitewash.

I raise a glass to Phil Sykes and Nigel Stockley.

RHFOY 18-12-2010 23:42

Re: Church Cricket Club

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 798400)
Church cricketers lead the field. They are in the world rankings.

I am prompted to write this after reading a piece in today's Observer about Church having the whole of their Lancashire League fixture results from 1894 to the present, on their website. Quote " Church could be the first grass roots club to collate and preserve its statistical history in the manner and detail which is now available" -I have it on the authority of a nationally-recognised cricket historian that they ARE the first.

If the boundary wall at Church were still there, I'd be out wi' t' whitewash.

I raise a glass to Phil Sykes and Nigel Stockley.

well done to church on this achievement, i helped with alot of improvements down there at church when don holt was the chairman, he started as you prob- know with me at woodbank cc before we moved onto a far supierior league in the lancs- league, both for diff0 reasons

jaysay 19-12-2010 09:40

Always remembering Church Cricket Club is in Oswaldtwistle, that's just for Tealeafs sake:D

Tealeaf 19-12-2010 10:11

I suspect that Church Cricket Club was put in Ossy for the same reason that cricket itself was introduced by the British into the more wild and remote parts of the Empire - to bring civilisation to the untamed, uncouth and savage natives, be it in the Hindu Kush or Ossy West End. I believe we have had more success in the former than the latter.

Bob Dobson 19-12-2010 10:14

That's because the name of the club is Church & Oswaldtwistle CC. This is an improvement on Manchester United, who do not play in Manchester but in the borough of Trafford.

Noticing that RHFoy did not use the capital C reminded me of my dad, who used to say " I go to church every Sunday - Church Commercial"

jaysay 19-12-2010 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 869937)
That's because the name of the club is Church & Oswaldtwistle CC. This is an improvement on Manchester United, who do not play in Manchester but in the borough of Trafford.

Noticing that RHFoy did not use the capital C reminded me of my dad, who used to say " I go to church every Sunday - Church Commercial"

Astute awareness Bob the only team in Manchester is City:D

Bob Dobson 19-12-2010 18:05

I am informed that there are two great football teams in Manchester:- Manchester City & Manchester City Reserves.

anzac 19-12-2010 18:14

1 Attachment(s)
Do you think they would like a copy of this for the website :eek:

Barrie Yates 19-12-2010 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 869987)
I am informed that there are two great football teams in Manchester:- Manchester City & Manchester City Reserves.

Sorry Bob but Manchester City have dropped to 4th - The table goes Man Utd, Man Utd Reserves, FC United of Manchester and then City - Remember it is the City of Greater Manchester:D:D:D

RHFOY 19-12-2010 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 869992)
Sorry Bob but Manchester City have dropped to 4th - The table goes Man Utd, Man Utd Reserves, FC United of Manchester and then City - Remember it is the City of Greater Manchester:D:D:D

and remember united are from salford, and city are from stockport,

RHFOY 19-12-2010 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by anzac (Post 869990)
Do you think they would like a copy of this for the website :eek:

how good is that proper sincere banter im sure they would love that on the wall in the Church &ossy cc bar :-)

jaysay 20-12-2010 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 869987)

No Bob more like Manchester City and FC United of Manchester:D