Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   The Canal (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/the-canal-6209.html)

***Mr D*** 22-01-2007 12:05

Re: The Canal

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistler (Post 372386)
It's great to cycle on the canal during summer when it's warm and the breeze blows in your face. You can stop of at several pubs on route and have a pint........my type of day out !

Hope you dont drink to much.:D

I know wouldnt like to fall in to the canal.:D

cashman 22-01-2007 15:16

we often walk church- rishton on a sunny afternoon with oscar, pop up to the roebuck in rishton and sit at the picnic tables with a drink, before the return journey, as willow says a walk on the cut gives a differant perspective of the towns.;)

katex 22-01-2007 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 372517)
as willow says a walk on the cut gives a differant perspective of the towns.;)

Is that what 'the cut' means Cashman? always wondered.

Hey, made me look it up and says 'other channel of water, from the idea that it was cut out of the earth'

Sometimes, you take names for granted, without really thinking what they mean, even though they are obvious.

cashman 22-01-2007 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 372731)

Hey, made me look it up and says 'other channel of water, from the idea that it was cut out of the earth'

Sometimes, you take names for granted, without really thinking what they mean, even though they are obvious.

see,bet ya didnt know i was educated.:D

whistler 23-01-2007 11:15

You want to try going in the opposite direction towards Burnley, I think it's a lot more picturesque.

whistler 23-01-2007 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 372390)
i like taking reece on the canal on our bikes, we cycle down to the hare and hounds at ossy and head for blackburn, we get off at the range (what used to be b&q), going through rishton, it takes just over 2 hours

Ever headed in the direction of Burnley, the countryside is a lot better ?

WillowTheWhisp 23-01-2007 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 372731)

That made me think about Cut Wood in Rishton.

bikers 29-09-2011 18:26

I'm cycling from Liverpool to Leeds along the canal over 2 days and I know Church is the official midpoint. (127 miles total) Anyone know of any memorials or things to see connected with the canal in Church to mark the achievement of the navvies and the engineers?

Bob Dobson 29-09-2011 19:04

The Rishton histyorian Kathleen Broderick told me that Cut Wood, Rishton has niothing to do with the '.cut' being the name for the canal. It was so called long before the canal came through.
I like hill walking along any canal bank. The Lancaster Canal runs from Preston to South of Kendal through great countryside.

whistler 10-01-2012 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikers (Post 936731)
I'm cycling from Liverpool to Leeds along the canal over 2 days and I know Church is the official midpoint. (127 miles total) Anyone know of any memorials or things to see connected with the canal in Church to mark the achievement of the navvies and the engineers?

There is a marker at the half way point which incorporates figures drawn by children at the nearby St Nicholas school, and a broad band of cobbles which stretches across the towpath.

claytonx 10-01-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistler (Post 961475)
There is a marker at the half way point which incorporates figures drawn by children at the nearby St Nicholas school, and a broad band of cobbles which stretches across the towpath.

As an apprentice at Lang Bridge I cycled with a chap called Ted Riley on a tandem from the bridge at Whalley rd Clayton to Steiners at Church then accross to India st and up Lonsdale st and then back at 5.30. One morning in spring we got a wobble on and finished in the canal still when't on to work very wet.

Alan Gilmartin 01-02-2012 20:05

You would have to get off your bike at Enfield wharf to get to the other side of the cut, to carry on to Church,

claytonx 01-02-2012 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 967064)
You would have to get off your bike at Enfield wharf to get to the other side of the cut, to carry on to Church,

There is also a tunnel at gannow in Burnley which you cannot go through,just follow the road to the large roundabout go under on the paths and over the hill,when you get to the top of the hill you can see the canal again and it's all down hill from there.

paris 05-08-2012 12:21

the canal is a great place to get away from it all just wish it was a bit easier to walk on we need better foot paths @ more places to sit along the way cus if you are a more mature person its nice to sit and relax here @ there :)

Frank Sanderson 09-01-2015 22:05

Atarah. We used to own Church Motors that operated from the old wharf. Used to see barges coming from Blackburn loaded with munitions, but covered with tarpaulin. The bargees had a few potatoes on the roof of the accommodation section. The local lads used to ask what they were carrying. "Bloody spuds again" Came the reply. So the locals used to say "More spuds for Adolph Hitler"