Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Bread Delivery Van - Clayton (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/bread-delivery-van-clayton-27662.html)

lancsdave 13-01-2007 23:52

Bread Delivery Van - Clayton

Does anyone remember a van that used to come round delivering bread and cakes etc in the early 70's door to door.

I used to have a Saturday job on the van and strangely enough the only vague memory I have of is that we used to go round an estate in Clayton. I think it's the one round Warwick Ave ?

Not sure if the business was called Mike's Pantry

flashy 14-01-2007 00:01

Re: Bread Delivery Van - Clayton

erm ....no, although i do remember an old ambulance coming round selling food, fruit n veg when i was a kid

Doug 14-01-2007 00:28

Memories eh, I don’t remember that one, but we had a bread delivery van up Miller Fold, it use to be an independent chap then Mothers pride took over the route.

Can anyone remember the polish gentlemen that use to come round with the mobile shop, he drove an old Volvo with a Caravan, later on he got an old Bedford.

flashy 14-01-2007 10:52

what about the rag n bone man? who used to shout ragggggggggg n bonnnnnnne

flashy 14-01-2007 10:54

or dolly the horse that used to pull the milk cart for jacksons farm?

katex 14-01-2007 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 367303)
or dolly the horse that used to pull the milk cart for jacksons farm?

Used to be Mr. Proctor when I lived in William Street as a girl. Can't remember the name of his horse though. My mum didn't get milk off him, however, remember my friend's mum did, and had a jug which she covered with a linen cloth ... it had beads attached around the edge to hold it down in the wind.

Do remember having to bring in the washing for him though .. we were allowed to string it out in those days across the back street.

Can't remember the bread van LancsDave, even though I lived in Barnes Street, Clayton from 1964 to approx 1972.

WillowTheWhisp 14-01-2007 13:36

I remember when the washing was pegged out in the back street - usually sheets - and as kids we would charge up and down the back under the sheets and all the Mums would come out and wave sticks at us for getting their washing mucky.

katex 14-01-2007 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 367367)
I remember when the washing was pegged out in the back street - usually sheets - and as kids we would charge up and down the back under the sheets and all the Mums would come out and wave sticks at us for getting their washing mucky.

Did that too Willow .. :D Great fun.

Always had to bring the washing in quickly when it rained though, due to the pollution then, the rain caused black marks, from probably the waste emitted from the factory chimneys or whatever .. least this has improved.

Alan Gilmartin 29-01-2007 09:22

A bloke next door to my aunty Kathleen used to deliver bread & cakes for Mosleys bakery.

entwisi 29-01-2007 10:06

when I worked at the Britannia(early 90's) on the top road we had a bloke who came every couple of days with bread and cakes. Can't remember his name though.

macca1 23-05-2011 05:32

i remember the van coming round,i lived on lancaster drive at the time

walkinman221 23-05-2011 21:37

Does anyone remember Birtwells Ice cream van little blue mini van when i was a nipper he used to blow a whistle, best ice cream i have ever had, had to have dragons blood on of course:alright::)

cashman 23-05-2011 22:27

yep from huncoat, one of the sons used to be a bouncer up Miners on friday nights, when i was a nipper twas hoss n cart.:D used to blow a referees whistle when on yer street.

Retlaw 23-05-2011 22:29

Any one remember Clemson delivering Ice Cream, round Woodnook area, he used a milk float, it would be some time around 1935.

Retlaw.

jaysay 24-05-2011 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 908447)
Any one remember Clemson delivering Ice Cream, round Woodnook area, he used a milk float, it would be some time around 1935.

Retlaw.

Sorry Retlaw, just can't recall that too well:)