Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   priestly clough/woodnock water factory (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/priestly-clough-woodnock-water-factory-29783.html)

andymac 06-04-2007 12:18

priestly clough/woodnock water factory

Hello, I am currently trying to do some research for a friend as to the origins/history of what I have been told was on old factory near the location of the old viaduct in Baxenden, on the Accy to Baxenden stretch of railway line. Grateful if anyone can give any further info regarding what this factory might have been, when it was removed/demolished

Mancie 06-04-2007 14:37

Re: priestly clough/woodnock water factory

Must have been over 50yrs ago andy..is it not Woodnook rather than Woodnock?... just a spello? I don't remember any factory up by the five arches but good luck

andymac 06-04-2007 15:10

hi thanks for that....i think it was some time back judging by the ruins there, its the area where you can cross the stream by a small bridge

WillowTheWhisp 06-04-2007 15:45

Do you mean up near the five arches? I think some of our older members know more about that area.

andymac 06-04-2007 15:47

hello willow, im not sure exactly of teh area that well, as I am actually from the southport area, i just remember coming down from baxenden from hill street, and then leaving the course of the old railway line and walking down to the stream.

Doug 06-04-2007 15:58

There were mine workings below Rothwell Farm and a Mill in the area of the same site, there was also buildings toward the five arches on the Baxenden side. We have discussed these areas before if you want to run a site search you should be able to gleam some more information. Good luck.

andymac 06-04-2007 16:03

Doug, many thanks for the respomse, i will run the search. Good to hear some name though to search for.

Wynonie Harris 06-04-2007 21:30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy, it was called Shoe Mill and there's a picture of the chimney in this section of the site. It's on post 19 in the Accrington railway Station thread.

WillowTheWhisp 06-04-2007 23:39

That's it! Thanks Wynonie. I've been racking my brain trying to remember and couldn't find the thread.

Doug 07-04-2007 10:09

Some links here andymac the focus of the post was the Turkey Red Dye Works, but they have alsorts in them. Also have a look on the Mario LLC Map site for maps and air photos of the area.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...earchid=765564

andymac 07-04-2007 10:25

well a big thank you to everyone who has provided info to me, i am in teh process of getting this back to the person who asked me first.....if anyone else has any infor regarding this area I would be grateful for it, and until then i will keep looking! Thanks...

JohnW 11-04-2007 15:14

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two pictures taken from approximately the same spot. One before the mill was demolished and one after with just the chimney left in place. I don't know when the chimney was demolished but it was certainly there as late as the mid sixties, as were the arches.

mickp 07-11-2009 14:35

on the left just before the arches is the old signal box.A sign on the box, sayed Baxenden shoe mill. If this helps.

Retlaw 07-11-2009 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickp (Post 761225)
on the left just before the arches is the old signal box.A sign on the box, sayed Baxenden shoe mill. If this helps.

This thread is over two years old.
Mike Rothwell researched Shoe Mill
in his Industrial Heritage.
You will find a copy in Accy Library.

Retlaw

mickp 08-11-2009 14:13

Thanks Retlaw.Tonight i will take a walk to Accy library.Don't think its too far from Kingston, Ontario Canada .Where i have lived for the last thirty four years.