Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   MR WILLIAM TURNER - Local "expert" on Accrington Pals (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/mr-william-turner-local-expert-on-accrington-pals-31951.html)

Atarah 07-07-2007 08:05

MR WILLIAM TURNER - Local "expert" on Accrington Pals

Hi, it is with regret that I would like to let people know that Bill died on Thursday night. He became our local "expert" on the history of the Accrington Pals. A lovely man! He will be missed.

Atarah

Gayle 07-07-2007 09:49

Re: MR WILLIAM TURNER - Local "expert" on Accrington Pals

That is sad news - a very nice gentleman - my condolences.

WillowTheWhisp 07-07-2007 11:42

Very sad news indeed Atarah. He was incredibly helpful to us when I was trying to trace information about my late husband's grandfather. Lovely man. May he rest in peace and my condolences to his loved ones.

mallard 07-07-2007 11:45

Yes that was bad news he will be sadly missed

cashman 08-07-2007 16:43

sorry to hear that news, a great guy will be missed by many.

Doug 08-07-2007 18:40

My condolences, a good and gracious man

Retlaw 31-07-2007 22:46

Many thanks to all of you who posted condolences on the death of William (Bill) Turner. All is not lost however, he passed on to me all his files and his computer. I have worked with Bill for the past 20 years, not just on the Accrington "Pals", but my other project, which was finding all the men in what was then called Greater Accrington, (now called Hyndburn) who took the Kings Shilling 1914-1918, so far I have 13500 names in my database.

I was with Bill the day before he died when he thanked me for all the work I had done for him, and made me promise to keep the name of the "Pals" alive.

Retlaw

garinda 31-07-2007 22:52

The best of luck carrying on the good work.

It is appreciated.

Aromaanne 31-07-2007 23:01

So sorry to hear about Bill´s death. We worked on The Accrington Pals programme for the BBc Songs of Praise way back when he came into Ben Hargreaves school to give us an insight in tothe Pals plight, made a great impact and the programme was great! A gentle , kindly intelligent man whoo contribited a lot to Accrington.

cashman 01-08-2007 00:36

Good luck n thanks retlaw, its a valuable thing you do.:)

Retlaw 06-07-2009 23:02

IN MEMORIAM.
In Memory of William Turner "Accrington Pals"
Who died two years ago.
Sadly missed by his
Wife Ruth, daughter Loise,
and his researcher Walter.

Retlaw.

Atarah 06-07-2009 23:23

Gosh, Retlaw, is it two years since Bill died. That has passed!

Atarah

mikeperry109 13-08-2009 12:24

Was listening to Mike Harding's song, did some research, then bought Bill's book. Really excellent. So sorry that he passed away two years ago. My grandfather Ned Tyson from Darwen fought with the 6th East Lancs in Gallipoli and Mesopatamia, and I have a huge WW1 library. Wrote and article on Walter Tull for the Great War magazine last year.
Mike Perry

BenchTheatre 19-04-2010 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 455102)
Many thanks to all of you who posted condolences on the death of William (Bill) Turner. All is not lost however, he passed on to me all his files and his computer. I have worked with Bill for the past 20 years, not just on the Accrington "Pals", but my other project, which was finding all the men in what was then called Greater Accrington, (now called Hyndburn) who took the Kings Shilling 1914-1918, so far I have 13500 names in my database.

I was with Bill the day before he died when he thanked me for all the work I had done for him, and made me promise to keep the name of the "Pals" alive.

Retlaw

I should like to add my condolences to those expressed about the passing of Mr Turner.

My amateur theatre company, Bench Theatre of Havant, Hampshire, staged a production of The Accrington Pals in 1984 and with Bill's kind and generous help, The Company was able to stage an exhibition in the foyer at the same time. He also appealed for information through our programme.

It was whilst researching the production (in order to expand our web-based archive) that I came across Mr Turner's details and thought how it might be nice to extend our link by inserting some contact details along the lines of those which I found in the programme. Not wishing to publish Mr Turner's address on-line without his permission, my investigations led me to this forum and to the sad news of his death.

I should like to help you continue your research by publishing a link to your current archivist's e-mail address (if you wish) on our website Bench Theatre, Havant, Hampshire, so if someone could e-mail me some details via my profile, I should be very grateful. i hope to publish the "Accrington Pals" page within the next few weeks, but can amend it to include additional details at any time.

Regards
Melanie

garinda 19-04-2010 10:02

What a wonderful tribute to his work.

genialcarol 17-05-2010 21:11

I have recently found out my great uncle was a Corporal in the Accrington Pals, he was John Dickinson of 30 Clifton Street, Rishton if anyone has any information on him

Carol

Retlaw 17-05-2010 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by genialcarol (Post 815594)
I have recently found out my great uncle was a Corporal in the Accrington Pals, he was John Dickinson of 30 Clifton Street, Rishton if anyone has any information on him

Carol

John Dickinson.
Pte. 15481. 11th E.L.
enlisted age 19. 18 Sept 1914.
did not go with Pals to Egypt & France.
Transferred to the 12th E.L. T.R. & 75th T.R., as Cpl.
Transferred as Gunner 146325. R.G.A. 19-12-1916.
Transferred as Sapper 252627. R.E. 28-5-1917

Discharged from the army 18th May 1919. 30 Clifton St, Rishton.

Retlaw.

Atarah 26-06-2010 19:32

1 Attachment(s)
Went to Holden Vale Antique Centre last week and spotted this seat, in Bill's honour.

anzac 27-06-2010 08:48

Bill produced a book on the Men from St Stephens Church (Now Holden Wood Antiques) who died in both World Wars. When the centre opened in 1995 a memorial was unveiled by The Mayor of Rossendale to the men which was still there the last time I went up.

Retlaw 27-06-2010 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 824572)
Went to Holden Vale Antique Centre last week and spotted this seat, in Bill's honour.

Mrs Turner spoke to the owner of the site last year, and he allowed her to have the bench and plaque installed. Mrs Turner paid for it, in memory of Bill.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 27-06-2010 10:45

On Monday July 5th it will be 4 years since Bill Turner died.
94 years ago on Wednesday July 5th 1916, the remaining men who had spent the last few days bringing in the wounded and burying the dead gathered in Rowland trench, when R.S.M. Stanworth called the roll, 43 men asnwered their names, they then marched back to B.HQ and into the reserve, it was nearly December before the Battalion was back up to full strength, 775 men joined the battalion in batches, most of them coming from the former 12th reserve battalion, renamed 75th T.R. Some officers and senior N.C.O's were transfered from other regiments. The Accrington Pals was no more, just the 11th Battalion East Lancs.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 05-07-2011 23:07

IN MEMORIAM.

Who died four years ago.
Sadly missed by his
and friend Walter.

Retlaw

Retlaw 04-07-2012 23:12

IN MEMORIAM.
Who died Thursday July 5th 2007

Sadly missed by his
and his researcher Walter.

Retlaw.

I have now completed the work on the men who served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs, 4292 men served in the Battalion from its formation in September 1914 to its disbandment in October 1919. Bill Turners publishers have now informed me that its unsailable, that they would need to sell a minimum of 300 copies to break even, and who would buy a near 400 page book of genealogy
information just to look up their grandad.

Wynonie Harris 04-07-2012 23:30

Bill Turner - an immensely knowledgeable bloke who never blew his own trumpet.

I'd buy a copy, firstly, because I'd find it interesting and secondly, simply as a memorial to these brave lads...and to Bill.

Neil 05-07-2012 05:36

It would be a terrible shame to let all that hard work just disappear so why not make it into an e-book available free for all those who are interested?

Balbus 05-07-2012 08:36

This sounds like a case for Bob Dobson and Landy Publishing. Can we not do it by subscription? I'm sure many of us would contribute.

cashman 05-07-2012 08:48

I would certainly have one, if twas possible.

jaysay 05-07-2012 08:52

That's a slap in the face for Bill and Walter, I would certainly buy one, I have seen the work Walter has put in to fulfill the work that Bill started, and it shouldn't be left on a shelf

Retlaw 05-07-2012 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1001269)
It would be a terrible shame to let all that hard work just disappear so why not make it into an e-book available free for all those who are interested?

First off whats an e-book, 2ndly there are 1/2 dozen so called Pals experts out there, that I know of, they would just love to get their grubby hands on all that work for nowt, and then claim they did it.

I have considered one alternative but its expensive, & long winded, printing one copy on a special paper, if some one tries to photocopy it or scan it, it turns black, trouble is its 100 quid a ream.
One of the main things which aggravate me is most people never realise how much it has cost in time and money, just so they can view the information with little effort on their part.
Bill & I spent 100's of hour travelling round, collecting names from Rolls of Honour, & War Memorials, travelling down to the Public Record Office in London for a week a a time, travelling to Preston to their Record Office & Fulwood Barracks, into Yorkshire viewing newspapers & memorials for the 78 Yorkshire men who were transferred into the 11th in May 1916, computers & their maintainance isn't free either.
I'm supposed to give it away for free, I should coco, I'll wipe the bluudy discs first.
Retlaw.

Neil 05-07-2012 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1001258)
........I have now completed the work on the men who served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs, 4292 men served in the Battalion from its formation in September 1914 to its disbandment in October 1919. Bill Turners publishers have now informed me that its unsailable, that they would need to sell a minimum of 300 copies to break even, and who would buy a near 400 page book of genealogy
information just to look up their grandad........

......I'm supposed to give it away for free, I should coco, I'll wipe the bluudy discs first.
Retlaw.

If the publishers say it is unsaleable and you don't want to give it away to those that would like to see it you might as well wipe your disks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1001318)
First off whats an e-book, 2ndly there are 1/2 dozen so called Pals experts out there, that I know of, they would just love to get their grubby hands on all that work for nowt, and then claim they did it.

Here is a link to some info about publishing your own ebook.

How to self-publish an ebook | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews

As for people stealing your work, they would do that whatever format you publish it in.

Bob Dobson 05-07-2012 16:03

I did discuss this with Retlaw a couple of years ago. However, as much as I would like to see it in book form, I have ceased to be a publisher. I now deal in secondhand books only. I do have stock of some of the books I have published

jaysay 05-07-2012 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1001344)
I did discuss this with Retlaw a couple of years ago. However, as much as I would like to see it in book form, I have ceased to be a publisher. I now deal in secondhand books only. I do have stock of some of the books I have published

Thats a shame Bob I think Retlaws work would have been an ideal project for you

CHAZ1975 18-08-2012 07:26

i'm no expert but couldnt your info be put on a disc? if so why not make copies and sell the discs? £20 a pop or something

Retlaw 18-08-2012 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 1009511)
i'm no expert but couldnt your info be put on a disc? if so why not make copies and sell the discs? £20 a pop or something

I do have it on a disc, used it to copy it to the backup computers, but if I gave it to you it would be unreadable, unless you understand DOS. DOS is no longer readable on any of Gill Bates's operating systems after WIn 98.

Less 18-08-2012 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1009555)
I do have it on a disc, used it to copy it to the backup computers, but if I gave it to you it would be unreadable, unless you understand DOS. DOS is no longer readable on any of Gill Bates's operating systems after WIn 98.

How strange, here I am using windows 7 and if I go Accesories then command prompt I can use my PC as if I'm in DOS???:confused:

Retlaw 18-08-2012 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1009556)
How strange, here I am using windows 7 and if I go Accesories then command prompt I can use my PC as if I'm in DOS???:confused:

You can do that on most computers, I use the command prompt in Win Millen, Win XP & Win 7, but try installing a DOS based program, in any of them and see what happens. Gates tried to buy out WordStar & Dbase, but they wouldn't sell, so he made sure after WIN 98 that those programs would not work in any future WIN OS.

Gremlin 18-08-2012 19:44

I was in the Junction 12 shopping outlet near Nelson today and saw a book about Accrington Pals, I am sure the author was a chap called Turner, would it be the same chap you are writing about on here.

Retlaw 18-08-2012 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1009600)
I was in the Junction 12 shopping outlet near Nelson today and saw a book about Accrington Pals, I am sure the author was a chap called Turner, would it be the same chap you are writing about on here.

He is the only author who has written about the Accrington Pals, now we are infested with so called Accrington Pals experts.
Have you not followed the thread from the beginning.

Margaret Pilkington 18-08-2012 20:58

I have followed, with great interest, this thread from its beginning....but I do not consider myself an expert on the Accrington Pals.
I value greatly the work done to uncover as much information about them as possible.....to keep their memories alive. It would be sad, and a crime if this information were lost forever.
The sacrifices made by these young men should never be allowed to fade from our consciousness.