Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/peel-park-celebrates-100-years-this-year-51145.html)

Atarah 05-01-2010 12:35

Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year

1 Attachment(s)
Peel Park is 100 years old this year. Perhaps we have some ex pupils with their memories?

My great grandfather WILLIAM HINDLE was supposed to be the stonemason (working for Cunliffe's) who carved the "BOYS" sign over the boys school door, nearest to Manor Street. Whether true or not I will never know, just a family tale.

rosegrove 05-01-2010 16:27

Re: Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year

i remember the main hall had faces round the hall most were victorian
i left in 1963 to go to woodnook school the headmaster was mr hinchcliff
but rest of the teachers i can not remember

Atarah 05-01-2010 17:22

I remember if we had been "bad" (i.e. if the teachers thought we had been "bad") we were made to STAND ON THE LINE, during our break times. THE LINE was just a crack down the centre of the hall floor, if I remember correctly! All the kids used to come and mock us. And ... I remember being hit over the knuckles by Miss Penlington (?) because I couldnt grasp how to do the letter "S" in joining up writing! Horrible teachers!

Reamer 19-02-2010 12:47

Headmaster was Hinchcliffe who used to live in a cottage at the top of Sandy lane. There was a Miss Butterworth who was deputy head and John Heaton who taught us in mid school. Then there was a Mr Gough (Goff?) a sports teacher who held lunchtime cricket sessions on Stanley's car park (club was still at Peel Park).
Last but not least , there was 'Gleavo' who took us in class 1 and steered us towards the 11+ exam. A strict disciplinarian, he had a table tennis bat (know as the Wangee, if I remember correctly) to whack those who got out of line. He also gave us an early introduction to the mysteries of calculus for which I never ever forgave him.

MovedtoBolton 20-02-2010 12:50

I was there from '69 to '73 and rememeber Mr Hichcliffe retiring - they got him a big green lawnmower. Mr Paris took over as head. Other teachers of the day were Mrs Clarke, Mrs Virtue, Miss McCarthy, Mrs Phillips and Mr Rawlinson. I know there were more but the grey cells ain't working too well this morning.
One lasting memory was singing hymes from the large song sheets hanging on the wall. "O Jesus I have promised" was always a fave!

Both my sone went there too in the 90's!

carolyn F 06-04-2010 13:09

I was there around 1964 to 66. Mr Heaton was one of my teachers - he was really nice, and Mr. Gleave was indeed a disciplinarian. I received the bat on the fanny from him for not having my science notes ready for him to check. But he was quite nice, really. One thing I do remember not-so-fondly was his reaction when I told him I was leaving in April to go to Canada. "YOU want to go to Canada?!!!" he said, as if I wasn't good enough to go. He was probably joking, but it stung me at the time LOL

Bob Dobson 06-04-2010 19:24

If a schoolmaster in today's schools hit a girl on the fanny there's not a ha'poth o doubt he would be locked up. !!!!!

Balbus 04-05-2010 11:04

They are asking for ideas and memorabilia on the school's website. There is to be an open morning on Saturday July 10th.

Margaret Pilkington 04-05-2010 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosegrove (Post 775624)
i remember the main hall had faces round the hall most were victorian
i left in 1963 to go to woodnook school the headmaster was mr hinchcliff
but rest of the teachers i can not remember

Miss Butterworth, Mr Gleave, Miss Kay (later married and became Mrs Phillips) Mrs Shaw, Mr Heaton.......alas I can't remember any more.
This was from the 1954-1958 era.

katex 10-07-2010 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 812352)
Miss Butterworth, Mr Gleave, Miss Kay (later married and became Mrs Phillips) Mrs Shaw, Mr Heaton.......alas I can't remember any more.
This was from the 1954-1958 era.

Went to this today ... was absolutely terrific ... what a good show Peel Park put on.

Picked up one or two class 'photos of mine I didn't have. Spent ages chatting to the very few people I knew. 'Course went over years up to 2000 so not all aimed at my era. Wished I could have stayed a little longer to look through the log books/registers etc .. nearly got thrown out.

Balbus... where were you !?! Had a query on the name of a pupil in our year which you may have been able to answer.

Could go on and on, but would probably bore other people into rigamortis.

Haha ... somebody reminded me of the crack that ran the whole length of the Junior school hall, and when you had been naughty .. had to stand on it for a while for all to see.

Merit badge to Peel Park ... :D

Margaret Pilkington 10-07-2010 19:09

Yes Kate.....I remember that crack down the main hall......and when you were pnished it was called 'Standing on the line'.

I am not big on the reunion thing, I always think that folk have aged better than me(how sad is that), but anyway with my little blister being over from Oz it would not have been possible to attend.
Glad you enjoyed it though.

cashman 10-07-2010 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 827786)

I am not big on the reunion thing, I always think that folk have aged better than me(how sad is that), but anyway with my little blister being over from Oz it would not have been possible to attend.
Glad you enjoyed it though.

It is sad, cos it aint true, ya aint too bad at all fer yer age.;):)

Margaret Pilkington 11-07-2010 08:49

Thanks Cashy......you old shmoozer you:D

katex 11-07-2010 14:03

Whoops sorry Atarah .. just noticed you told the story of the line earlier on ... must pay more attention. :D

One lady there that was helping thought it may be a good suggestion to maybe have a day where past pupils could perhaps come again just to look at the records .. don't know whether this would come about ...hope so.

Balbus 26-07-2010 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 827781)
Went to this today ... was absolutely terrific ... what a good show Peel Park put on.

Picked up one or two class 'photos of mine I didn't have. Spent ages chatting to the very few people I knew. 'Course went over years up to 2000 so not all aimed at my era. Wished I could have stayed a little longer to look through the log books/registers etc .. nearly got thrown out.

Balbus... where were you !?! Had a query on the name of a pupil in our year which you may have been able to answer.

Haha ... somebody reminded me of the crack that ran the whole length of the Junior school hall, and when you had been naughty .. had to stand on it for a while for all to see.

I was there. It was impressive, and the old building has survived well. Didn't recognise many people though. Perhaps the building has survived better than we have. Went over to Peel Park Hotel afterwards to arrange an informal get together for the day of the centenary - Tuesday August 24th - 18.30 onwards. Perhaps see you there. People have been asked to bring any mementoes with them.

Balbus 26-07-2010 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 827781)

I was there. It was impressive. The old building has survived well. Didn't recognise many people though. Perhaps the building has survived better than we have. I went over to the Peel Park Hotel afterwards to arrange an informal get together for the day of the centenary - Tuesday August 24th - 18.30 onwards. Perhaps see you there. People have been asked to bring any mementoes.

Tealeaf 26-07-2010 20:51

I think I'm right in saying that along with Hyndburn Park, this school was built as a result of the 1902 Education Act. I wonder just how many recently built schools and extensions to schools built under PFI/Government Academies will be around in 100 years time?

Atarah 26-07-2010 20:59

1 Attachment(s)
This is one of the boards from the school - my grandad is the second name down.

Tealeaf 26-07-2010 21:14

I wonder what the scholarship deal led to...there was no 11+ until 1944.

Balbus 18-08-2010 15:30

Informal get-together Peel Park Hotel -Tuesday August 24th - 6.30 p.m. onwards. 100 years to the day that the school opened. Anyone welcome - please bring any mementoes (photos, reports etc).

Atarah 29-08-2010 07:14

Well - how did it go? Any photos?

Bob Dobson 29-08-2010 10:09

I think I am correct in saying that 'passing your scholarship' in the early days meant that you would be paid for to attend. The local Co-op Society put a lot of money into this. I think that the first name on the board was Robert Rush who went to the Grammar School then Manchester University. He became a pharmacist, working for Mr Brownbill ( we schoolboys called him Bluebeak) in Avenue Parade. He became a national authority on public transport and died a couple of years ago. The Co-op was one of the prime movers in Accrington getting a Grammar School.

Atarah 29-08-2010 11:40

Hi Bob, sorry, Mr Rush didnt have his name put on a board until 1924. First name is Thomas Alty, but the second name is certainly my grandad Joseph Hindle (a relative of yours too!) - see item no. 18 on this thread.

haywoodroad 01-11-2011 16:58

Can I add my two penneth to this thread please - my first post on here, by the way.
I went to Peel Park from 1950 to 1955 (before our family moved to St Annes) and remember it fondly. Yes I remember the line too!! I have an autograph book which was signed my Mr Wade, Mr Gleave, Miss Shaw, Mr Barber and others when I left - I think Miss Butterworth was my first teacher.
I remember playing football at dinnertime with the Stanley players.I remember too our class being taken on a nature walk with Mr Hinchliffe up the Coppice. I'm sorry I missed the anniversary & would have gone had I known.
I lived on Laneside and was sorry to leave Accrington. I remember catching the bus for St Annes from the Load of Mischief when I was 9 and fighting back the tears. I live in West Lancs now, but come to Accy now & then for old times sake.
That's a great photo Atarah.

Bob Dobson 05-11-2011 23:39

Summat up here. Haywoodroad says it is his first post, but the number 2 appears alongside his name. Bloody inflation!!!! Living in Haywood Road, most of your mates would have gone to St John's

DaveinGermany 06-11-2011 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by haywoodroad (Post 944099)
Can I add my two penneth to this thread please - my first post on here, by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 945417)
Summat up here. Haywoodroad says it is his first post, but the number 2 appears alongside his name. Bloody inflation!!!

Think he means this specific thread Bob. :)

haywoodroad 08-11-2011 20:21

Good spot Bob! I have posted twice previously but on the Accrington Stanley sub forum, not on here and even then it was a few years ago. It was seeing the Peel Park memories that prompted me to post here. My memories are vague as I was only 9 when I left but I still go and watch Stanley occasionally as I used to when Walter Galbraith was Manager and George Stewart was centre forward. A long time ago!!

Mikexxx1 24-05-2013 03:02

Good memory - I can remember those teachers now. The good bad and ugly, I left 72.
Only school where the pupils leaving could go on to private school, grammar/comp or Borstal !! And we know who they were !!!

Turtle 02-03-2014 19:47

1 Attachment(s)
This is a bit late for the 100 year celebration, but I thought someone in this thread might like to see a Peel Park class photo from around 1964-65. Headmaster Mr. Hinchcliff is standing on the left, teacher Mr. Heaton on the right. I am on the first row, third from the left. The only two friends I remember are Rachel Wolstenholme, front row, last girl on the right; and Mary Harding second row from the back, third girl from the left. Oh wait.... maybe that's Sharon Robinson third from the right, second last row.

Margaret Pilkington 02-03-2014 20:08

John Heaton was my form master in my last year at Peel Park School.

Atarah 02-03-2014 22:55

Brilliant photo Turtle. Could I print it off and put a copy in the Museum in the Arndale. We have started a book of old school photos.

Turtle 03-03-2014 06:36

That would be great, Atarah! Is the resolution ok for you? I could email you a higher res version if you like. Maybe we should leave the girls names I mentioned off it? I leave that up to you :)

Atarah 03-03-2014 08:27

Hi Turtle, just printed it off. It looks fine. Thanks for saying yes!

tizzy 03-03-2014 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1096423)
This is a bit late for the 100 year celebration, but I thought someone in this thread might like to see a Peel Park class photo from around 1964-65. Headmaster Mr. Hinchcliff is standing on the left, teacher Mr. Heaton on the right. I am on the first row, third from the left. The only two friends I remember are Rachel Wolstenholme, front row, last girl on the right; and Mary Harding second row from the back, third girl from the left. Oh wait.... maybe that's Sharon Robinson third from the right, second last row.

This was pointed out to me this morning. Had to take a look. I remember you Turtle! I was bereft when you went to Canada. I missed my friend very much.

Margaret Pilkington 03-03-2014 13:00

Tizzy - how good that you have found your friend again.
Now you will be able to catch up on each other......Accyweb rides again!

Turtle 03-03-2014 13:15

Tizzy, I've sent you a private message - lovely to hear from you!

Thank you, Margaret, yes, Accy Web is amazing :)

Margaret Pilkington 03-03-2014 13:17

I keep looking at the picture of the peel parkers and can't get over why you were not in uniform.
I left in 59...and we had to be in uniform back then...even down to bottle green knickers!

Lost in Cornwall 04-03-2014 07:05

I've got a class photo from All Saints from the mid sixties and we weren't in uniform. I can't scan stuff at the moment so can't put it on here but I was wondering when uniform became the required dress in primary schools. From what you are saying Margaret there may have been a period around then when standards were allowed to slip.

Margaret Pilkington 04-03-2014 07:13

I cannot comment on All Saints policy of uniform during the late fifties...but Eric in Canada might be able to enlighten us there.
My own daughter went to all Saint in the 70's and she did not wear uniform.
However back to Peel Park. I can remember wanting to go on a school trip and not having a green beret with the distinctive green and gold badge on it....I was told that if I wanted to go my parents would have to buy one.......so they did...and it ended its life after one wearing, in the River Dee at Chester! I could be wrong, but I thought that back then the uniform was compulsory.

I can also remember Mr Hinchcliffe telling us that while we were in uniform we were carrying the good name of the school and to behave in a manner which would not let the school down .
I remember the green gymslip with the yellow silky belt with tassels, my green and gold tie. Some teachers would inspect your shoes at the start of the day to make sure they had been polished
We all looked very smart.

Turtle 04-03-2014 10:46

I do remember wearing a bottle green raincoat at Peel Park, but no other uniform items. Memories are coming back now... We went on a wonderful trip to London - the first big school trip I'd taken, other than Chester Zoo. It must have been 1964, and we saw the Tower of London, the Crown Jewels etc. A big thing for me was standing outside Buckingham palace and seeing lots of screaming teenagers, and four shadowy figures behind the gate. The Beatles were there!

lol1944 04-03-2014 14:39

John Heaton used to play football for Accrington rangers---anybody remember them. Also ? Davenport used to play--he emigrated to Australia

Turtle 12-03-2014 19:39

2 Attachment(s)
Searching through some old files (very old!) I came across an old exercise book from my days at Peel Park School (1965-66). We used ink pens in those days, poured into a well on our desks. Neatness counted in our marks, and these books had to be handed in regularly for marking. Does anyone remember these?

Margaret Pilkington 12-03-2014 19:43

Yes, I remember the exercise books, but ours had times tables on the back......and things like weights and measures. 22yds make one chain(is one that sticks in my brain).

Guinness 13-03-2014 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1097625)
Searching through some old files (very old!) I came across an old exercise book from my days at Peel Park School (1965-66). We used ink pens in those days, poured into a well on our desks. Neatness counted in our marks, and these books had to be handed in regularly for marking. Does anyone remember these?

Oh joy....thanks for making me feel really really old..I remember those exercise books and the ten words we wrote in the spelling one on monday that we had to learn for the friday morning test.

Margaret Pilkington 13-03-2014 09:59

Were your spelling test words written on the blackboard all week and rubbed off On Friday morning?
That is how ours were done(as well as having to write them in our book on a Monday morning) I am sure many of those spelling were absorbed during the week of seeing them every day in the calssroom.

ossy kid 14-03-2014 03:34

lol1944, was that the team run by Jack Starkie? if so I knew most of the team from the 60s.

joangiller 22-09-2016 02:53

Well I'm VERY late for the 100 year celebration but I was interested to see the picture. It must have been 1964 - I would have been 9. I am on the far right of the top row of girls. Next to me is Wendy Eckroyd. At the other end of that row are Mary Booth and Susan Byrne next to Mary Harding. And the girl next in the row was Christine something. The only other girl I remember was third from the right on the bottom row - Julie something. I went to a birthday party at her house and was amazed that her Mum gave us Blue Riband bars - in individual wrappers!! A real treat.

joangiller 22-09-2016 03:07

Actually Christine was another Pilkington, I think. Does anyone know where any of these girls may be now - especially Mary Booth?

Turtle 22-09-2016 10:46

Hi Joan, I remember your name now, and the other girls that you mention. It would be nice to know where we all ended up :)

joangiller 22-09-2016 19:43

Hi. Which one are you? And where are you now? I'm living in the Republic of Ireland for the last 12 years. I'm not in touch with anyone from those days, sadly.

Turtle 24-09-2016 18:04

I sent you a private message, Joan :)

helenbrown 14-12-2017 19:23

I was at Peel Park 1965-1969. Remember Mr Hinchcliffe -he took us on great nature walks, Heaton, Virtue, Paris and also a temporary teacher -female who inspired me to go on to university to study English Language -would love to thank her. Anyone know how to get a list of pupils around this period?

Bob Dobson 15-12-2017 09:00

I am in touch with some PPers who went onto the Grammar School, but I don't have a list of them.