Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Buildings at Clayton (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/buildings-at-clayton-5293.html)

Acrylic-bob 18-08-2004 11:32

Buildings at Clayton

1 Attachment(s)
Wandering around the other day, as you do, I came across this collection of buildings. I was surprised to see them having thought that they had been demolished. They stand on the Leeds Liverpool Canal adjacent to the Blackburn Road bridge at Clayton-le-Moors. A trawl through the first edition OS map shows them in situ in 1844-45. They look to be in a pretty bad way, especially the part (not shown here) that fronts the main road, which is in an advanced state of collapse.

The building on the opposite side of the Canal is described on the 1844 map as ‘The Weighing Machine’. I know that Accrington Sea Cadets used it for a while. It is in a similar state of disrepair.

Any one any ideas what they were used for, or of any plans for them?

Tealeaf 18-08-2004 16:57

Re: Buildings at Clayton

This building and the one on the opposite bank are grade II listed. I have'nt seen them for years (I think the other building is often referred to as the Old Stables)
If you know the history of the Leeds Liverpool canal you will know that it was completed in stages and these buildings mark the completed stage from Burnley. The final stage of he canal was the Clayton or Enfield section through to Blackburn which was delayed by several years due to arguments about the route and a possible link-up in Accy with a canal coming up from Bury.

Either way, their design is purely functional...the bricked up loading bays would have had an overhead gantry extending out with block & tackle for fast loading and unloading of barges and you can see the canal is considerably wider here as it serves as a turn around area for the boats.

I suspect the reference the "Weighing Machine" would simply be for weighing of bulk goods.

Less 18-08-2004 17:09

[QUOTE=Tealeaf]through to Blackburn which was delayed by several years due to arguments about the route and a possible link-up in Accy with a canal coming up from Bury.QUOTE]

Did history repeat itself when the M65 was the road to no-where?

pendy 19-08-2004 13:36

There are some superb buildings along the canal which could be renovated and put to good use, especially since they date from a time when buildings were made to last. At Church, on Blackburn Road just by Bridge Street, there is an old warehouse building with a canal bay at the rear, which could make much better housing for local people than some of the crap they're putting up nearby. Only downside is that it would probably be snapped up by snotties from Manchester.

Acrylic-bob 19-08-2004 14:40

Having said that, Pendy. it looks as though after decades of neglect something is at last being done for the warehouse you mention. I suspect Tealeaf may have more to say on this subject in the very near future.

Tealeaf 19-08-2004 17:16

Just for a moment bringing togeather this thread with the "Accy Observer" thread,has anyone read today's online version? Apparently, large areas of Clayton are being converted into Red Light Districts....anyway, that's what the paper says. Is this another of HBC's wacky initiatives, this time to make Hyndburn the destination of choice for the Sex Tourist, rather than Bangkok or Amsterdam?

Anyway, if so, the Clayton warehouses would make a hell of a brothel.....straight on one side of the canal & a benders on the opposite bank.

lettie 19-08-2004 21:41

Maybe the Clayton Warehouses would become the Clayton Whorehouses??

Acrylic-bob 21-08-2004 05:53

Ah yes, but, were that to happen wouldn't we all then be up in arms about condoms and other accoutrement's of the trade floating along the canal strangling ducks and fouling the gear of passing barges?

Ifty 21-08-2004 22:51

What is a benders? Would there be rats making it not a good idea for housing?

Bazf 22-08-2004 02:09

Its local greeting for gentlemen of a different persuasion other local colloquialisms are Pillow biter, Brown Hatter and my personal favorite Uphill Gardener.

Ceejache 22-08-2004 02:15

Bowling from the 'pavillion end' is my favourite (saying)!

Alan Gilmartin 26-08-2004 23:59

In the 1960s BOB, those buildings where occupied by a company called Harwood Craft. They made fiberglass boats. Its very sad to see it like that, we used to play around there. We use to live just up from there at No 19 Blackburn Rd.