Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Long Gone (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/long-gone-53031.html)

jaysay 02-05-2010 09:31

Long Gone

Was only thinking the other day about local building firms which were going when I was young. When I left school I started serving my time With R. P. Townley Manner St, which I'm sure is long gone, the there was Spencers Builders on Sydney Street, Franklands at the Top of Church Street, later moving to John Street Ossy (remember cashy) both long gone, in Ossy the was Jacob Wards Joiners, T & E Harrison's on the Straits which are now houses, Walshes joiners on John Street, anybody remember more of these old firms

MargaretR 02-05-2010 13:19

Re: Long Gone

I remember (Roland) Whatmores, because I was at junior school with his daughter Carol.
They lived on Mount Pleasant St then, and 'moved up in the world' later

jaysay 02-05-2010 14:44

I forgot one of the biggest employers in Hyndburn as also gone, Shopfitters In Ossy, and I worked for them for a few years:)

Bob Dobson 02-05-2010 16:45

Finch, Watson in Greengates.....Vincent Power, Whalley Rd/Maudsley St....Ramsbottom & Sons, Whalley Rd.... ( Ramsbottom St named after the founder)....Coulson, Hyndburn Rd near Gatty Park....Rigg, lived Blackburn Rd near St Andrew's ( he drove a big Yankee car)

pashley 03-05-2010 05:36

Just dipped in to this thread and thought to have a look in Barrett's 1935 Directory of Blackburn and District to see if there were other builders. Under 'Joiners and Builders', there are 35 names listed! presumably, some would be woodworkers only.
Incidentally, under 'Fried Fish Dealers' are 66 establishments and these just within the Accrington boundaries! How could Accy support 66 chippies??

cashman 03-05-2010 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pashley (Post 812048)
Incidentally, under 'Fried Fish Dealers' are 66 establishments and these just within the Accrington boundaries! How could Accy support 66 chippies??

when there was all the industry n before mass immigration, quite easily i would think.:)

jaysay 03-05-2010 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 812078)
when there was all the industry n before mass immigration, quite easily i would think.:)

Yesterdays Fish and Chips is todays Curry and Rice:D

Aussie Irene 11-05-2013 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 811797)
Was only thinking the other day about local building firms which were going when I was young. When I left school I started serving my time With R. P. Townley Manner St, which I'm sure is long gone, the there was Spencers Builders on Sydney Street, Franklands at the Top of Church Street, later moving to John Street Ossy (remember cashy) both long gone, in Ossy the was Jacob Wards Joiners, T & E Harrison's on the Straits which are now houses, Walshes joiners on John Street, anybody remember more of these old firms

My husband served his apprenticeship at R P Townley. Tom Townley lived next door. Bob Bale was foreman and Len Davies shop foreman. He also worked at Spencers when they moved from Sydney St to Pioneer Mill

jaysay 11-05-2013 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1058184)
My husband served his apprenticeship at R P Townley. Tom Townley lived next door. Bob Bale was foreman and Len Davies shop foreman. He also worked at Spencers when they moved from Sydney St to Pioneer Mill

I started at Townley's in July 62, Tom, Bob and Len were there then, what was your husbands name Irene, I might have known him

Aussie Irene 11-05-2013 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1058199)
I started at Townley's in July 62, Tom, Bob and Len were there then, what was your husbands name Irene, I might have known him

John Mooney. He finished his apprenticeship in 1953 did national service, went back 55 left late 56. He is 81 this year.

jaysay 11-05-2013 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1058219)
John Mooney. He finished his apprenticeship in 1953 did national service, went back 55 left late 56. He is 81 this year.

That was before my time Irene

Aussie Irene 11-05-2013 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1058224)
That was before my time Irene

He wants to know, that when you were the youngest apprentice, did you have to go next door to Tom's every morning for the tea and milk. Also did Tom buy a new Humber Hawk every year?. When little Dick, from Whites garage brought it back after service, Tom gave him sixpence tip, which never went up.

jaysay 11-05-2013 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1058230)
He wants to know, that when you were the youngest apprentice, did you have to go next door to Tom's every morning for the tea and milk. Also did Tom buy a new Humber Hawk every year?. When little Dick, from Whites garage brought it back after service, Tom gave him sixpence tip, which never went up.

Going for the tea and sugar was my first job:D I remember the Humber Hawk too, think Bob Bale had one two when I was there, although he walked to work nearly every day, and the tip um seems about right:)

Aussie Irene 11-05-2013 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1058234)
Going for the tea and sugar was my first job:D I remember the Humber Hawk too, think Bob Bale had one two when I was there, although he walked to work nearly every day, and the tip um seems about right:)

Did he live in Bradford St then?.

jaysay 11-05-2013 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1058236)
Did he live in Bradford St then?.

Ya lived a few doors away from another apprentice working there at the time Roger Keely