Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Woodnook Improvement Scheme 2012 With Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/woodnook-improvement-scheme-2012-with-photos-58290.html)

b-sound 19-06-2011 16:13

Woodnook Improvement Scheme 2012 With Photos

1 Attachment(s)
A shocking image of Woodnook today, where did it all go wrong?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...-woodnook1.jpg

cmonstanley 19-06-2011 17:56

re: Woodnook Improvement Scheme 2012 With Photos

do people still live there ,:eek: words fail me

Gremlin 19-06-2011 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 913140)
do people still live there ,:eek: words fail me

Yes, poor souls.

flashy 19-06-2011 18:37

A friend of mine lives on Hudson Street, all the houses up there are waiting to be pulled down, he and the others are waiting for a moving out payment, most of the houses are boarded up now

Margaret Pilkington 19-06-2011 18:43

It is really sad, it was once, a very pleasant place to live.
My Mum still lives in that area.

cashman 19-06-2011 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 913140)
words fail me

Thats a first.:hehetable

Gremlin 19-06-2011 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 913144)
A friend of mine lives on Hudson Street, all the houses up there are waiting to be pulled down, he and the others are waiting for a moving out payment, most of the houses are boarded up now

Where do they want to move them to flashy or is it up to each individual to get their own home? Are they rented or private and what is going to happen to the area when it is demolished, not another camping ground for the travelers I hope.

Fra 19-06-2011 18:56

Its a disgrace. I live there and can't wait for something to happen about it. There are so many yobs hanging around causing destruction. Surely it would cost less to pull the houses down than to pay for the amount of time the emergency services have to spend putting fires out. To my knowledge, half of hudson street is getting pulled down and Royds street where the houses are boarded up. Clement street is getting pulled down too. Or is it?? Another rumour is that someone is buying the lot up and doing them up

Fra 19-06-2011 18:58

There are a few stubborn landlords that the council are haggling with to buy up the remaining houses

cmonstanley 19-06-2011 19:11

slum landlords:eek: this would stun anybody cashy:) ive just shown some mates this picture and they didnt think anywhere in britain like this existed anymore.is there any money to pull these down or has the condem goverment stopped the cash

flashy 19-06-2011 19:16

My mates is private rented, as Fra has just said, he is waiting for the haggling to stop, they are getting around 4 thousand per house to move out (might be 6, can't remember exactly what he said) i don't think they have plans to put the residents in any particular place, they have to find their own.....well i know he is looking at different places anyway

wadey 19-06-2011 20:52

OMG amazing photo though

Mancie 19-06-2011 21:14

I lived on Hudson Street 70's early 80's and can't think of anyone who rented in those days..the photo of the area as it is now made me gasp.. ok it's many years since I was there but how on earth can it have got so bad?... the homes are not council house stock but how can any council in the country allow an area of it's town become totally run down and to be blunt a complete slum?
edit: South Street still looks half decent.. but has been said god help the people that are living there.. the whole area is a disgrace to Hyndburn Council!

ossy kid 20-06-2011 01:07

What streets are in the photo?

Atarah 20-06-2011 08:15

South, Booth, Royds and I cant think for the minute of the final street on view. Heart breaking to see!
This photo is a gem and wants sending off to the newspapers!!!!

lancsdave 20-06-2011 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 913208)
South, Booth, Royds and I cant think for the minute of the final street on view. Heart breaking to see!
This photo is a gem and wants sending off to the newspapers!!!!

Augusta ?

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2011 13:01

I just wondered if the street at the top left hand(running diagonally) corner was Hudson St........the patch of Green looks like it is next to what used to be the school(Woodnook)...but if anyone knows any different, I am happy to be corrected.

ossy kid 20-06-2011 15:00

Thanks Atarah, I used to live on Clement St a lifetime ago, that must be it running on the bottom with all the cars on it. What a mess.

JCB 20-06-2011 17:55

It's weird walking through the area shown on the photograph . You get beyond Royds Street and you come to the Christ Church area , another world - Bishop St , Rough Lee Rd , Mountain Lane , Hollins Lane etc .

b-sound 20-06-2011 19:24

http://www.b-sound.co.uk/pics/hollins1.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 913265)
It's weird walking through the area shown on the photograph . You get beyond Royds Street and you come to the Christ Church area , another world - Bishop St , Rough Lee Rd , Mountain Lane , Hollins Lane etc .

magpie 21-06-2011 11:26

so sad used to live on Hudson back in the early 80's such a shame to see the area end up like this..... started with the factory bottoms... then higher antley street... now its moved up.... maybe hollins lane and royds avenue will follow:

why allow it to get in that state in the first place ?

Atarah 21-06-2011 20:11

Am curious b-sound, you in a "micro light" or something? Excellent photos, excellent!

Mancie 21-06-2011 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 913360)
so sad used to live on Hudson back in the early 80's such a shame to see the area end up like this..... started with the factory bottoms... then higher antley street... now its moved up.... maybe hollins lane and royds avenue will follow:

why allow it to get in that state in the first place ?

I't hard to believe that less than 30yrs ago most of the houses in this area were decent.. fair enough some homes would have needed to be upgraded in that period but it looks like the whole area has been turned into something a third world country would be ashamed of.

mrskitty 21-06-2011 20:43

Is one of them Augusta street? Looks like it because someone i know lived on Augusta and he has now moved due to compulsery purchase.

steve2qec 21-06-2011 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 913265)

I agree, there's some great buildings around that area, I particularly like the houses on Eaton Bank.

Gobbiner17 21-06-2011 20:59

I think that from bottom to top there is South St, Booth St, Royds St, Augusta St with Hudson St running up the left and Clement St running up the right side.

cashman 21-06-2011 21:13

me best man lived on hudson late 60s - late 70s was fine yon when i used to go round, they moved towards end of 70s, saying to me, twas getting time to move away.:eek:

Mancie 22-06-2011 00:42

Tell the truth I was away from there mid 70's but my family lived on Hudson Street up to late 70's and it was fine..no aggro..no fires.. I mean for gods sake it looks more like Church in 1973! :D

spignific 25-06-2011 14:32

Nice big houses on Hudson street.what a waste.i lived up there as a youngster.That whole area was just like most other terrace areas until late 80's,then i started going down hill.I heard a few yaers ago that it was falling apart but have not even driven past there for a fair while,so its shocking to see it in that photo.Its appalling and its very sad for me to see something from my childhood as being totally destroyed :eek:

Wynonie Harris 25-06-2011 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by spignific (Post 914206)
then i started going down hill.

Is this when you discovered booze? ;)

cashman 25-06-2011 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 913534)
Tell the truth I was away from there mid 70's but my family lived on Hudson Street up to late 70's and it was fine..no aggro..no fires.. I mean for gods sake it looks more like Church in 1973! :D

Cheeky git,i moved to church in 72.:hehetable

spignific 26-06-2011 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 914239)
Is this when you discovered booze? ;)

Yea wyn ,i discovered booze in woodnook.Bottles of strongbow and fizzbombs in christ church grounds on saturdays in 1977 :D

Ellerby 09-07-2012 16:23

This really is a fantastic shot of Woodnook - did you take it yourself, and where did you take it from (have a vision of someone perched from nearby Christ Church?!). This really shows the awful state the neighbourhood has been allowed to fall into - the good news is (I hope!) I'm part of the team that will transform these properties from small '2-up 2-downs' to a range of larger 2, 3 and 4-bed family homes.

Early days at the moment but hope to be able to tell you all more soon, quite fancy the idea of running a Woodnook photography competition/exhibition to document the people and properties that make up the local community - what do people think?

If you did take that picture, I'd love a high res copy if that's something that can be sorted out? To be fair, I 'm up in Accy quite a lot these days and will be looking for premises in the neighbourhood - might be worth meeting up if you're interested in getting involved with the photography idea, keen to do this at grass roots level and get community involved.

Martin

M

Ellerby 09-07-2012 16:33

Woodnook

A selection of photos of the empties taken over last 12-months round Woodnook...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1106517...eat=directlink

First time I've tried posting anything to the Accy Web site, not sure how to actually add a photo onto site directly - link to Picasa will have to do for now. Any advice great fully received!

davemac 09-07-2012 19:48

Re: Woodnook Empties

to upload a photo, click "post reply" then after typing the text, click on the paper clip above the white text box. Photos will have to be resized, and a maximum of ten pictures per posting.

As a matter of interest what was your motivation for posting such a comprehensive photo diary of the region in question?

Atarah 09-07-2012 19:53

Ellerby - Can you say if SOUTH STREET is going to be part of the refurbishment? Have heard maybe NOT.
I lived on that street all my life, now one of my sons lives on it. We have noticed recently that quite a few of the propeties on this street are actually looking BETTER - privately owned in fact.

susie123 09-07-2012 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1002068)
.....As a matter of interest what was your motivation for posting such a comprehensive photo diary of the region in question?

Presumably a professional interest in the regeneration of those properties.

Martin Ellerby - United Kingdom | LinkedIn

wadey 10-07-2012 09:56

1 Attachment(s)
Had a walk round Duke Bar the other day, don't think quantitative easing has reached there either !

Ellerby 11-07-2012 07:36

Thanks for the note on posting images Davemac, but all I seem to get is the option to type a URL address, not an option to choose from my pictures on my laptop?

I am part of a team that hope to refurbish and remodel these homes into larger, energy efficient family homes, inc. much needed 3 & 4-beds. Hope to be able to say more in the not too distant future.

Neil 11-07-2012 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellerby (Post 1002210)
I am part of a team that hope to refurbish and remodel these homes into larger, energy efficient family homes, inc. much needed 3 & 4-beds. Hope to be able to say more in the not too distant future.

I would have thought that most people who want a 3 or 4 bedroom home have a few kids so probably also want a garden and a garage. I don't see how you can make decent 3 or 4 bedroom houses from non garden fronted fronted terraced houses with small back yards.

Margaret Pilkington 11-07-2012 08:14

Instead of posting a quick reply...when you want to add pictures choose the 'Go Advanced' option....then look under the text area for a box which says attach files...choose 'Manage Attachements'....this will allow you to either browse your own pics or add pics from a web address......it will give you the option of adding 10 pictures......and you may have to resize them.

Margaret Pilkington 11-07-2012 08:24

2 Attachment(s)
I have put pics on here so you will know exactly what you are looking for.
I hope this helps.
And good luck with your work in regenerating an area that used to be a good place to live.

BERNADETTE 11-07-2012 14:56

Quote:

Thanks for the note on posting images Davemac, but all I seem to get is the option to type a URL address, not an option to choose from my pictures on my laptop?

Good luck with getting the refurbs in motion, my daughter lives in the area and is hoping to get a bigger house eventually:)

Gordon Booth 11-07-2012 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1002212)
I would have thought that most people who want a 3 or 4 bedroom home have a few kids so probably also want a garden and a garage. I don't see how you can make decent 3 or 4 bedroom houses from non garden fronted fronted terraced houses with small back yards.

Neil, go to villages in the Ribble valley, Yorkshire or down south and these properties are 'desirable cottages'. Put two together and you have a big, substantial house with a back yard/garden twice as big. Also some of those on the Woodnook photos do have small front gardens.Not everyone is bothered about a front garden as long as the street is fairly quiet.
A lot of terraces going up from the main road in Darwen have been modernised and sandblasted and look very 'desirable'.
If looked after and modernised these terraces will still be lived in long after the 60's/70's breeze block and plasterboard boxes have gone.
If you watch 'The Secret History of our Steets' you can see how slum properties have become £3 million pound properties- most of them don't have front gardens, in fact some didn't even have back yards!

Neil 11-07-2012 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1002265)
.......If you watch 'The Secret History of our Steets' you can see how slum properties have become £3 million pound properties- most of them don't have front gardens, in fact some didn't even have back yards!

This is Accrington we are talking about though.
The area become how it is now because the houses were bought up by private landlords who did not care who was in them or what state they were in as long as they were getting the rent. It really annoys me that those same private landlords will have been paid more than the houses were worth in the state they were in using our money.

Neil 11-07-2012 19:14

Re: Woodnook Improvement Scheme 2012 With Photos

I have been asked to rename and move this thread to here. I am sure you will all find it as I have left a redirect from the Photo section

Ellerby 16-07-2012 10:32

Margaret - that's very kind of you to take the time to show me this, really helpful. I will give this a try with a few more photos in the next few days.

Ellerby

Margaret Pilkington 16-07-2012 14:26

You are most welcome. I reckoned that it would useful to more than just you.
I remember how I struggled to upload pictures when I first joined in the dim and distant past. It took very little time and effort.
I am looking forward to seeing what you might have up your sleeve for this once lovely,but now very run down area. I grew up there, and my dear old Ma still lives there.

Odin 16-07-2012 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 913172)
I lived on Hudson Street 70's early 80's and can't think of anyone who rented in those days..the photo of the area as it is now made me gasp.. ok it's many years since I was there but how on earth can it have got so bad?... the homes are not council house stock but how can any council in the country allow an area of it's town become totally run down and to be blunt a complete slum?
edit: South Street still looks half decent.. but has been said god help the people that are living there.. the whole area is a disgrace to Hyndburn Council!

If a Council Evicts someone, they are legally bound to find them other accomodation. Hyndburn Council will accept any old rubbish, as they did with all the evicted rubbish from Manchester and all the Travellers, who regularly held street fights (although they did have a referee) Hudson Street Ocupants will have witnessed them often. An elderly intimidated neighbour will sell their property at a vastly reduced rate to the scum Landlords who promptly put in more rubish and before long they own the whole block.
then collect several years worth of Housing benefit and haggle over the price of a compulsory purchase.

Atarah 20-07-2012 08:44

Just found this site by pure accident. Although it is out of date, it just shows what type of information IS available on the computer, if you just know where to look for it.
Page 4 does actually mention the Woodnook improvement.
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...hbourhoods.pdf

Any updates yet Mr Ellerby?

US Angel 04-08-2012 02:03

My dad used to live at 44 Nuttall St

Atarah 16-08-2012 22:18

Letters now sent out to folk in the "area" of Woodnook, explaining what will be happening.
The Council has made Woodnook its priority Regeneration Area. Phase 1 will include the refurbishment and remodelling of 89 properties between Augusta St and Booth St, but .. NOT SOUTH STREET. Why on earth has South Street been missed off. The properties on that street are also classed as "being on the wrong side of the churchyard", so what happens to those folk?

Ellerby 28-09-2012 10:53

9 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, sorry I've been a bit quiet lately, it's a very busy time planning the refurbishment of the properties in Woodnook. Thanks to June and Margaret for bringing the newsletter posted on Hyndburn Council's to peoples attention.

I thought people might like to see some of the photos we've taken over the last few months, capturing the physical impact these empty homes have on communities; whilst not exactly positive pictures, they are quite striking, and will be a good reference point once properties are remodelled and refurbished.

All being well, you should see the start of on-site activity by December of this year, but please do keep your eye on the Hyndburn Council site for updates via the newsletter as I won't have time to answer questions via this forum and there are contact details on the newsletter which people can use.

susie123 28-09-2012 12:07

Lack of parked cars on those streets makes for an even more eerie feeling to the photos. We have got so used to seeing lines of cars at the side of the road, but this is how the streets must have looked when the houses were built.

MargaretR 28-09-2012 12:34

I noticed - no litter

Bagpuss 03-12-2012 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 1003057)
If a Council Evicts someone, they are legally bound to find them other accomodation. Hyndburn Council will accept any old rubbish, as they did with all the evicted rubbish from Manchester and all the Travellers, who regularly held street fights (although they did have a referee) Hudson Street Ocupants will have witnessed them often. An elderly intimidated neighbour will sell their property at a vastly reduced rate to the scum Landlords who promptly put in more rubish and before long they own the whole block.
then collect several years worth of Housing benefit and haggle over the price of a compulsory purchase.

I see a pattern forming here, first they trash an area in Manchester and they all move into the Hudson St area and do the same. The area gets so bad that the council has to do something and buy up the properties from landlords who have paid buttons for the houses. Of course the scum tennants have to be re-housed
The same is now happening in the Avenue Parade area of Accrington, street fights, drug pushers and unexplained house fires all forcing the price of the housing down. The same landlords that owned houses in Hudson St are now trying to buy up homes in Graham Jones Peel Ward for very low offers and then moving in more of these scum. I'm so angry that this is allowed to happen time and time again.

lindashanks2 03-12-2012 14:35

Woodnook used to be a good place to live, I lived there for 20 years, left in 1970. Makes me sad when I see it now.

maxthecollie 03-12-2012 15:52

There are too many areas of our town run down by unscrupulous landlords

katex 03-12-2012 16:38

Was this the last letter then ? Seems good to me.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa..._July_2012.pdf

Bagpuss 03-12-2012 17:37

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1030468)

Exactly, but they must be laughing when the council say "they will take a tough line on landlords who refuse to take care of their properties", ha ha, a £500 fine for a house that has been empty for 12 years, real tough.

Ellerby 03-12-2012 18:13

Yes, that was the summer newsletter, a winter update due in the next week or so, M

cashman 03-12-2012 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss (Post 1030488)
Exactly, but they must be laughing when the council say "they will take a tough line on landlords who refuse to take care of their properties", ha ha, a £500 fine for a house that has been empty for 12 years, real tough.

Also the article, clare pritchard says, we have given this landlord "MANY" chances to put these things right.!!!! Well if thats the case n our councillors reckon £500 is a tough line, Then i must be living in La La Land.:rolleyes:

Rob249 03-01-2013 05:49

Theyve just done a piece on bbc breakfast news about the state of the housing stock in Lancashire, theyve filmed augusta street and woodnook, ive not been up there for a long time, but it sure looks dire.I think it will be repeated in the next half hour.

Atarah 03-01-2013 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss (Post 1030488)

Gosh, only just seen this photo. That was Marie's Hairdressers for many many years on the corner of South Street.

lavenderpixie 03-01-2013 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob249 (Post 1035347)
Theyve just done a piece on bbc breakfast news about the state of the housing stock in Lancashire, theyve filmed augusta street and woodnook ...

I think that the report may be found and seen at this link here below ...

BBC News - Renovation for 200 empty terraced homes in Accrington

Atarah 06-01-2013 12:01

Quote:

Hi Martin, would it not be possible for you to post the whole newsletter re the Woodnook area, then all our members can see what plans there are?

cmonstanley 06-01-2013 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1030468)

put orange street on the list.

Atarah 06-01-2013 12:22

Ran out of time on my last posting, so am continuing now -

I have been on a "mission" this morning. I walked around the area, with my camera, and found it very upsetting to see. I found myself going back in time, remembering my childhood growing up there, "seeing in my mind" the families who once lived there. The walking day processions, the stashing away of wood for bonfire night, the "gangs" we had going up Oak Hill Park in an evening, NOT causing problems though, just groups of kids from the area. Playing hide and seek in The Rock Gardens. Playing tennis in the park. Happy days!
Hudson Street is a street of fine, large terraced houses. Hope they are to be saved. Still cannot understand why South Street is not included in this scheme. When my aunts house was valued - in 2003, the estate said, although South Street was "not such a bad street" it was STILL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CHURCHYARD and so that affected his valuation!

I quote [I]"Phase 1 will include the refurbishment and remodelling of 89 properties between Augusta Street and Booth Street. We will completely transform these properties from "2 up 2 down" homes that were previously costly to heat, into a range of energy efficient 2, 3 and 4-bed family homes. In total we propose to deliver 71 homes, broken down by 22 x 2 bed, 31 x 3 bed and 18 x 4 bed. All homes will be avilable for rent".

Retlaw 06-01-2013 13:41

[QUOTE=Atarah;1035862]Ran out of time on my last posting, so am continuing now -

I have been on a "mission" this morning. I walked around the area, with my camera, and found it very upsetting to see. I found myself going back in time, remembering my childhood growing up there, "seeing in my mind" the families who once lived there. The walking day processions, the stashing away of wood for bonfire night, the "gangs" we had going up Oak Hill Park in an evening, NOT causing problems though, just groups of kids from the area. Playing hide and seek in The Rock Gardens. Playing tennis in the park. Happy days!
Hudson Street is a street of fine, large terraced houses. Hope they are to be saved. Still cannot understand why South Street is not included in this scheme. When my aunts house was valued - in 2003, the estate said, although South Street was "not such a bad street" it was STILL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CHURCHYARD and so that affected his valuation!
Just think back 10 years when those houses in Royds St, & Augusta St, were occupied, there was trouble every night on Christ Church St Back, Lemonia St, Mountain Lane & Rough Lee Rd, cars vandalised gates ripped off their hinges etc, with the different groups of drug addicts, coming and going to Oak Hill Park, & their dens in the wood between Manchester Rd & Broad Oak Factory. We don't want that lot back again, so who will they eventually rent them to, the offspring of the those we were glad to see the back of.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2013 14:25

So the answer then is to knock them down and do what with the land?
Build shoe box properties at prices that no-one can affordto buy?

Yes, there were bad people in those properties ten years ago...so has nothing been learned from that experience?
Does the bad experience have to mean that decent people who want homes should be penalised for the wrongdoings of those who came 10 years before?
If we want to get rid of those unmentionable people then we need to look at where they nestle in the town.......the focus for them, is Abbey St.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2013 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1035862)
Ran out of time on my last posting, so am continuing now -

I quote [I]"Phase 1 will include the refurbishment and remodelling of 89 properties between Augusta Street and Booth Street. We will completely transform these properties from "2 up 2 down" homes that were previously costly to heat, into a range of energy efficient 2, 3 and 4-bed family homes. In total we propose to deliver 71 homes, broken down by 22 x 2 bed, 31 x 3 bed and 18 x 4 bed. All homes will be avilable for rent".

I also have fond memories of the old times along Nuttall street.
I had friends who lived in Royds Street and we thought they were posh.
I went to school with Anne Hadfield, whose mother had a woolshop at the corner of Royds and Nuttall street.
There were the Hindle twins.....I had a very soft spot for Stuart - we were seven years old and we used to catch the bus outside his grandads toffee shop on Nuttall street.
Bob Wilkinsons Ironmongers was where I used to push the pram to to buy bags of coal bricks and gallon cans of 'lamp oil'.
Harry Booths butchers was where Ma would send us for our fresh meat. The co-op had a grocery store and a green grocers there too. I used to run all the way along to the co-op reciting the divi number out loud.....10168,10168,10168...and by the time I got there I had forgotten what I had been sent for.

I too payed in Oakhill park...rolling down the steep slope by the cenotaph.
Playing in the hidden garden.

It was a wholesome place...full of neighbourly folk who would help you out if you needed it.
It dismays me to see it as it is now.
I hope it can be revitalised and again become a worthwhile community.

susie123 06-01-2013 14:57

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1035870)
I also have fond memories of the old times along Nuttall street.
I had friends who lived in Royds Street and we thought they were posh.

Ha ha Margaret I lived on the other side of town but always heard that Royds Street was posh! My rellies lived in Nuttall Street and had a fruit and veg shop, possibly fish as well? Couldn't tell you whereabouts though we did visit them from time to time.

Here is a pic of them, the three on the right - my great auntie Annie, great uncle Fred Creasey and their daughter Dorothy. Fred died late fifties - he was a great character. The lady on the left is his sister, my great auntie Rhoda.

Retlaw 06-01-2013 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1035869)
So the answer then is to knock them down and do what with the land?
Build shoe box properties at prices that no-one can affordto buy?

Yes, there were bad people in those properties ten years ago...so has nothing been learned from that experience?
Does the bad experience have to mean that decent people who want homes should be penalised for the wrongdoings of those who came 10 years before?
No Margaret, but history repeats itself, I've lived in Accrington for over 80 years, lived in the same house for the past 50, and also seen clearances before, and it doesn't take long for the landlords to start letting to same standard of tenants, because they are sure of their rents form the Social services, and sod those who want to live in peace & quiet
If we want to get rid of those unmentionable people then we need to look at where they nestle in the town.......the focus for them, is Abbey St.

Even getting rid of Maundy Grange wouldn't solve the problem, its been to long established and some one else would open another similar establishment, probably in Church St.
The real problem is a minority of do gooders who don't have to live with the problems their views cause.

lancsdave 06-01-2013 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1035877)
The real problem is a minority of do gooders who don't have to live with the problems their views cause.

What's the alternative to local councils then ? :D

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2013 16:29

I think it would be too difficult to get rid of the said establishment....and if it was got rid of then I think that many people would heave a huge sigh of relief, and perhaps, block any efforts by some other charity to do similar things.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2013 16:34

And history only repeats itself because we are too damn stupid to learn the lessons that history shows us.

Surely, it is not beyond the inventiveness of man to sort out the problems of bad landlords and unruly tenants.
There must be estates up and down the country where people rent properties and live comfortably and peaceably alongside one another.
Don't tell me that every estate where rental properties are, is a 'sink' estate.

Retlaw 06-01-2013 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1035889)
And history only repeats itself because we are too damn stupid to learn the lessons that history shows us.

Surely, it is not beyond the inventiveness of man to sort out the problems of bad landlords and unruly tenants.
There must be estates up and down the country where people rent properties and live comfortably and peaceably alongside one another.
Don't tell me that every estate where rental properties are, is a 'sink' estate.

Again Margaret, people do want to live in harmony, but it just takes a couple of greedy rogue landlords to turn a street bad, people move out, and more property goes to unscruplous landlords, and on it goes, then it turns into a Royds Street and the cycle goes on.
Back in my youth if some one made others lives a misery, and reported them, a six foot copper would turn up, knock six bells out of the offender, problem solved, no six months wait for a magistraite to issue a warning, the law today is a joke.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2013 17:13

Like I said, there must be a way to control the bad landlords and the unruly tenants.
Don't bad tenants get evicted anymore.
You see some councils(I'm not sure if our council is one of them) would lump all these nuisance tenants together...with no concern for other people of the area who owned their own home.......now when councils gave up on renting out homes I don't know what happened...or for that matter how legislation for unruly tenants is formualted or processed.

We can't go back to the six foot copper, but there must be legal alternatives.

Neil 06-01-2013 17:24

Knock them down and build modern efficient shoe box houses that people can afford to rent, heat and light. We used to live in a new ish North British housing association house, it was warm, light, not damp like our previous rented house. Gas bill was low, it had a high fenced garden so the kids were safe when they were small. Lots of off road parking. Our front door didn't open onto the street, we had a small front garden and a grass square shared by 5 houses in an L shape.

In my opinion much better than anything they will do with the old 2 up 2 downs in that area.

With a little thought and planning they could make the area nice.

The efficient bit in the story was a little worrying, the usual way is to clad the outside of the house to make it more insulated, it looks horrible, flat like a rendered wall.

smiley face 06-01-2013 17:30

omg that photograph is amazing. I have recently come back from the Portsmouth area and was in a local pub and chatting about Accrington and the landlady heard and said oh my goodness that is the town that everyone is trying to leave as housing is supposed to be really bad there. I said what makes you say that, she told me she heard it on the television only the other night. Haven't a clue what program but really there are so many good areas in Accrington this picture is shocking.

Ellerby 17-01-2013 14:15

Hey everyone

Those of you who still live in and around the Woodnook area may have noticed that work has now begun on the demolition of the rear yards and outriggers on the properties between Booth Street and Royds Street - great to see this project finally hit the ground and begin to deliver real positive for the Woodnook community - click on this link to some photo's PlaceFirst commissioned on Monday whilst the BBC's One Show team were up filming.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1114827...8QE&feat=email

Ellerby 18-10-2013 15:52

If you're interested in the empty homes project in Woodnook, here's a link to PlaceFirst's Flickr gallery where new albums have been added. There's a nice one highlighting all of the nice places, amenities, etc within a 10-minute walk, and there's some interesting shots showing progress on the show homes.

PlaceFirst's photosets on Flickr

Atarah 19-10-2013 08:04

Hi Mr Ellerby, thanks for posting. Will have a good read of it in a moment.

You probably are not aware of a lady who lived in Augusta St a long time ago. She had a book of poems published, which was looked upon as being a real achievement for her, as she was a mill lass, so would have spent most of her time working hard (think it was this street, will check it out). Her name was Matilda Harrison and her book was called "The Poet's Wreath" - one of her poems was named "My Childhood Home". Although her own street. Augusta, has now been "saved" she must have looked upon an earlier home being demolished and decided to write about it.

Ye might have spared my childhood’s home,
That long remembered’d spot
That wheresoe’er on earth I roam
Will never be forgot
Smile not because those walls are dear,
More dear than words can tell,
Nor deem me weak if, with a tear,
I bid them now farewell.

magpie 20-10-2013 17:53

great this is looking good :-) at least the streets have been saved and will live to tell more tales.... grew up there myself : well done :-)

Fra 01-05-2014 21:27

Looks like the show home is nearly done. Anyone know when the contractors are coming in to do the rest of them?

Retlaw 01-05-2014 22:00

This thread has been running now for near 3 years, some firm claiming they are doing the area up, all I ever see every time I drive up Royds St are the same boarded up properties. Are they ever going to actually do some thing, or is it all hype as usual, never seen any workmen in all this time, plenty of doctored photo's on a web site, what I would like to see is actual work being done. The whole area was built in less than 3 years back in the 1890's.

Neil 03-05-2014 07:24

I heard some interesting things about this scheme recently but I can't repeat them for legal reasons. Looks like something funny is going on. I am led to believe the houses were allegedly in very poor condition structurally but haven't seen the documents to prove it myself. I was never in favour of restoring the houses. Mainly because parking was always an issue in that area as with most terraced streets and they don't appear to have addressed it. They are supposed to be family homes but there is no safe place for children to play, no gardens and no play places. Kids playing on streets is another issue with terraced housing. I live in a terraced house in an area with lots of terraced houses so I see these issues daily.

Retlaw 03-05-2014 14:23

Just been to have a look round Bellfield Rd, Royds St, Augusta St, & Wilfred St, Bellfield looks fully occupied, there are some houses on Wilfred St occupied, just looks like they've had new widows & doors fitted, still 50% boarded up. Why should some of them be structurally unsound yet others are not, the whole block from Bellfield Rd to South St, Clement St to Hudson St were all built at the same time, during the late 1980's & 1890's. So what is going on, why can't they come straight out and say it, its been 3 years.

Ellerby 01-10-2014 11:23

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I was last on here, mainly because we've been so busy getting the project motoring - any of you who live in Woodnook will know there is lots of regeneration work going on across Woodnook now.

If you are interested in keeping up to date on what's happening, you can find plenty of info on the internet:

Hyndburn Council's site, including ALL the newsletters that have been distributed to the Woodnook community - Woodnook - Woodnook Regeneration

There's more detailed information on the new, energy efficient homes available to rent on the PlaceFirst website - Woodnook | PlaceFirst, CT Investment Partners, CTIP, North West Fund

There is also a Woodnook Facebook page which promotes local events, offers from local businesses, photos of local area, news on the regeneration, etc https://www.facebook.com/ourwoodnook

Just to clear up any confusion, the new & refurbished homes are NOT social housing and are, instead, aimed at lower income working families who are locked out of home ownership, whilst at the same time being a low priority for scarcely available social housing due to household income.

Ellerby 01-10-2014 11:28

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any old photo's of The Britannia Inn they'd be happy to share on the forum? I've been to the archives in Preston but could only find a partial shot of the pub looking down Nuttall Street?

The pub will be refurbished externally soon and PlaceFirst would like to try and be sensitive to it's heritage. Main things we're looking for are window and door types, colour (could be hard if they're old photos!) and original signage.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. Martin

DtheP47 02-10-2014 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellerby (Post 1119315)
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any old photo's of The Britannia Inn they'd be happy to share on the forum? I've been to the archives in Preston but could only find a partial shot of the pub looking down Nuttall Street?

The pub will be refurbished externally soon and PlaceFirst would like to try and be sensitive to it's heritage. Main things we're looking for are window and door types, colour (could be hard if they're old photos!) and original signage.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. Martin

Atarah is probably your best hope Ellerby suggest you PM her.