Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   More local history lost. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/more-local-history-lost-58914.html)

accystanlee 15-08-2011 20:44

More local history lost.

Having a keen interest of Arden Hall / Plantation Road area, late last week, two large concrete dia drainage pipes were dropped off, along with a pile of stone at the very top of Plantation Rd, next to the old stone culvert were Pleck Brook flows under. "Whats going on" i wondered?
Late yesterday, found out that over £30,000 was allocated for this job. "What job" nobody knew.
Been up this evening,found that the road was blocked off,along with walking access, the complete length of the culvert ripped out, along with at lease 3 mature trees, with stones and rubble left like a bomb site.
This beautiful stone culvert, at least 150 years old, if not more, ripped out in less than a day.
I known that one side of the culvert was unsafe and needed work, so why was the money not better spent on a local stonemason, that would have given him,or her, 9 -12 months work and brought it back to its former glory? :mad:

Tealeaf 15-08-2011 20:52

Re: More local history lost.

Err...dunno the area whatsoever...but would it not have been possible to rip out the culvert entirely and expose the old stream, putting it back to what it was 150 years ago?

All is needed is a lot of imagination and a bit of engineering.

jaysay 16-08-2011 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by accystanlee (Post 926839)
Having a keen interest of Arden Hall / Plantation Road area, late last week, two large concrete dia drainage pipes were dropped off, along with a pile of stone at the very top of Plantation Rd, next to the old stone culvert were Pleck Brook flows under. "Whats going on" i wondered?
Late yesterday, found out that over £30,000 was allocated for this job. "What job" nobody knew.
Been up this evening,found that the road was blocked off,along with walking access, the complete length of the culvert ripped out, along with at lease 3 mature trees, with stones and rubble left like a bomb site.
This beautiful stone culvert, at least 150 years old, if not more, ripped out in less than a day.
I known that one side of the culvert was unsafe and needed work, so why was the money not better spent on a local stonemason, that would have given him,or her, 9 -12 months work and brought it back to its former glory? :mad:

Think you might find that to do what you are saying would have cost a hell of a sight more than £30000

Mikejoed 20-08-2011 11:41

2 Attachment(s)
They have also damaged an 18th century stile that was at the side of the gate entrance.