Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Which Church & Graveyard is this (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/which-church-and-graveyard-is-this-58976.html)

anzac 20-08-2011 14:53

Which Church & Graveyard is this

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone help with the Church/Chapel/Graveyard this is please.
Again might not be local but was in with some Accrington Slides.

Don't even know if it's the right way round :confused:

magpie 20-08-2011 18:35

Re: Which Church & Graveyard is this

looks like it could be at the back of the cemetry on Burnley Road.... not 100% though.

Retlaw 20-08-2011 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 928057)
looks like it could be at the back of the cemetry on Burnley Road.... not 100% though.

Doesn't look like it could be Accy, if you look closely at the picture, there is part of a roof & chimney, nearly hidden by the big tree, haven't seen owt like that up Accy Cem, not from that angle any way.
Retlaw.

suedarbo 22-08-2011 13:28

That reminds me of the cemetery on Burnley road, Altham as you leave Clayton.

Gremlin 22-08-2011 19:33

2 Attachment(s)
It's not the back of the Crem on Burnley road.
I had a look today and took these photos.

anzac 22-08-2011 19:53

I have just zoomed in on the photograph and it looks like a church on the left hand side so maybe the building we can see is behind a church.

If you save the picture and then zoom in just look at the windows on the building on the left in the trees.

katex 22-08-2011 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 928342)
It's not the back of the Crem on Burnley road.
I had a look today and took these photos.

Hahaha, Gremlin, I was there today too ... was nothing anywhere that looked like that photograph. Looked mainly for that tree, to no avail.

Accrington Cemetery is well kept .. this one is a bit untidy, so probably is attached to a church or chapel as Antaz suggested.

jaysay 23-08-2011 09:23

was thinking it could be Immanuel New Lane Ossy but the church don't look big enough

Gremlin 23-08-2011 11:29

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 928375)
Hahaha, Gremlin, I was there today too ... was nothing anywhere that looked like that photograph. Looked mainly for that tree, to no avail.

Accrington Cemetery is well kept .. this one is a bit untidy, so probably is attached to a church or chapel as Antaz suggested.

Did you see the two lads practicing acrobatics, I was just going up the exit lane when I took this photo, it looks like he is falling from the tree.

katex 24-08-2011 17:55

2 Attachment(s)
Hey, what a great shot, Gremlin. Bet they would love that 'photo for keepsakes to look back on.

I spotted three lads a bit further up on the top field being bosterous. Well, not like they are going to disturb anyone, is it. :)

I enjoyed looking at some of the headstones of the well known residents of Accrington, like this one: Joseph Walker, First Chief Constable of Accrington, died in 1883 in his 40th !! year :

Attachment 18292

Or this, of course, of Lieut. John Bury of Arden Hall who was killed at Gallipoli aged 21 year in July 1915, only son of Alderman Bury.

Attachment 18293

Retlaw 24-08-2011 21:06

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 928681)

Lieut. John Bury of Arden Hall who was killed at Gallipoli aged 21 year in July 1915, only son of Alderman Bury.

Attachment 18293

Joseph Walker.
I enjoyed looking at some of the headstones of the well known residents of Accrington, like this one: Joseph Walker, First Chief Constable of Accrington, died in 1883 in his 40th !! year :

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...metery-002.jpg

His granddaughter lives round corner from me
Or this, of course, of Lieut. John Bury of Arden Hall who was killed at Gallipoli aged 21 year in July 1915, only son of Alderman Bury.

katex 24-08-2011 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 928725)
His granddaughter lives round corner from me

Would it not be a 'great' or 'great,great' granddaughter ? How old is she ?
He was very young and, obviously,must have been very clever to be in this position during his 30's. Mind you, life expectancy was less, so perhaps promotion came earlier in the 19th century maybe ??

steeljack 24-08-2011 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 928681)

Attachment 18293

is that a grave or a "family memorial stone" ? didn't think they brought the war dead back home in those days :confused: :confused:
happen Retlaw can put us straight ;)

katex 24-08-2011 23:08

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 928739)
is that a grave or a "family memorial stone" ? didn't think they brought the war dead back home in those days :confused: :confused:

They are graves, but did wonder myself about whether the soldiers were actually buried there, like these :
Attachment 18296
Attachment 18297
Attachment 18298

Retlaw will definitely put us straight ... :D Sssh, don't wake him up ... you will probably be asleep when Retlaw is eating his bacon butties or three Weetabix and tutting at our ignorance .. LOL

Retlaw 25-08-2011 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 928739)

No he' not buried in Accy Cem, his body was never found, Lieut John Bury was serving with the Church Battery of the Royal Field Artillery, when he was killed. His name being on that stone is what is known as In Memoriam. = To his memory.
John is commemorated on the Helles Memorial.
Oak St Congregational Chapel used to have a bronze plaque with his name on, the plaque was paid for by subscriptions from the workers at Spring Mill.
Haven't a clue what has become of that plaque.
A large number of memorial plaques & Rolls of Honour have vanished over the past 40 odd years, as Churches, Schools, Pubs & Clubs have closed.
Luckily Bill & I had either photographed them, or transcribed them.
Retlaw.