Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Help to identify uniforms please (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/help-to-identify-uniforms-please-60999.html)

trayjo 16-03-2012 13:57

Help to identify uniforms please

3 Attachment(s)
Hello, I am researching my family history. I have 3 photos of family members in uniform and I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas on what type of uniform they are wearing. I believe that the one of the soldier and the one of the fireman? could be before the first world war and I have no idea on the lady. They will probably be from the Clayton/ Accrington area. I have trawled the internet, visited the military museum in Lancaster and taken 2 of them to the Who Do You Think You Are Live exhibition in London, but can't seem to get anywhere with them.

Any ideas would be great.

Thankyou

Retlaw 16-03-2012 15:08

Re: Help to identify uniforms please

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayjo (Post 978203)
Hello, I am researching my family history. I have 3 photos of family members in uniform and I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas on what type of uniform they are wearing. I believe that the one of the soldier and the one of the fireman? could be before the first world war and I have no idea on the lady. They will probably be from the Clayton/ Accrington area. I have trawled the internet, visited the military museum in Lancaster and taken 2 of them to the Who Do You Think You Are Live exhibition in London, but can't seem to get anywhere with them.

Any ideas would be great.

Thankyou

No 1 is a Fireman, and its a long time since they used military ranks. Possibly one of the City Fire Brigades.
The mystery Soldier I've posted it on a military web site.
If they don't know, then nobody will.
The young lady in uniform, looks like an early form
of majorettes.
Retlaw

DaveinGermany 16-03-2012 18:15

Seems more like a uniform from around the1850's. Not sure, but without any sort of insignia to indicate unit/arm of service the chance of defining the Regt will be pretty difficult.

steve2qec 16-03-2012 18:22

Is that a kitten on the old lady's lap?

Bob Dobson 16-03-2012 19:43

Have you cut off the photographer's name/address? I can probably 'date'them if I knew who the photoghrapher was. 1850's is far too early. The lone female - might that be a conductor's baton?

susie123 16-03-2012 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 978310)
Have you cut off the photographer's name/address? I can probably 'date'them if I knew who the photoghrapher was. 1850's is far too early. The lone female - might that be a conductor's baton?

From a female perspective... the length of the young lady's skirt and style of her jacket indicates during or just preWWI. And no that isn't a conductor's baton - far too thick and too long if there is more of it under her arm.

The couple... her dress indicates late nineteenth century. I'm wonderig whether he is not a soldier but perhaps a musician in a band with a military style uniform? Obviously not well to do - look at the holes in the lace curtains and in the front of the woman's dress!

trayjo 17-03-2012 09:59

Hello again,
The one of the lady has 'Franco British Potrait Studio' on it and the others don't have anything on. Thanks for all your advice. Does anyone know if there is a museum for the fire brigade or someone who I could show the fireman photo to who might be able to identify his helmet etc. On all the old photos of firemen that I have seen, they seem to be wearing double breasted and not single breasted tunics. I did wonder whether the lady was not in an 'offical' type uniform as she is wearing earrings or maybe they did?
Thanks again.

susie123 17-03-2012 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayjo (Post 978426)
Hello again,
The one of the lady has 'Franco British Potrait Studio' on it and the others don't have anything on. Thanks for all your advice. Does anyone know if there is a museum for the fire brigade or someone who I could show the fireman photo to who might be able to identify his helmet etc. On all the old photos of firemen that I have seen, they seem to be wearing double breasted and not single breasted tunics. I did wonder whether the lady was not in an 'offical' type uniform as she is wearing earrings or maybe they did?
Thanks again.

There is a Franco British Photo Co listed as in Manchester - perhaps Bob has more details.

Victorian Photographers

I'd date the lady's costume as about 1917 - of course the photo may be later, the clothes don't look that new. Around that time military style trimmings were in fashion as a tribute to those who were in the war. I would say that is definitely not a uniform - don't think it would have had a frilly blouse with it. Perhaps she has borrowed her boyfriend's/relative's cap and stick to pose for a photo? Or she might be about to take part in a stage show.

susie123 17-03-2012 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayjo (Post 978426)
Hello again,
Thanks again.

Wonder if this person might be able to help with the fireman - or at least point you i the right direction...

http://www.spanglefish.com/barriesfi...p?pageid=87183

susie123 17-03-2012 12:28

Looking at the photos on this website I'd say the man in the couple photo is just as likely to be a bandsman as a soldier, looking at his uniform.

ibew.co.uk

Gordon Booth 17-03-2012 15:11

That's not an arrow the young lady is holding, is it? It's about the right diameter and length and the shape at the end looks like the feathers on an arrow. An archery club photo?

susie123 17-03-2012 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 978502)
That's not an arrow the young lady is holding, is it? It's about the right diameter and length and the shape at the end looks like the feathers on an arrow. An archery club photo?

No Gordon it's not feathers it's more like a knob if you'll pardon the expression. :rolleyes: I've blown the photo up and had a good look.

Retlaw 17-03-2012 16:54

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 978502)

Its what's known as a swagger stick.

susie123 17-03-2012 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 978529)
Its what's known as a swagger stick.

Thanks, I've been trying to think of the right word.

Retlaw 17-03-2012 17:38

1 Attachment(s)
I've had a reply from the experts, and the answer is pasted below. Another of the experts dates the photo around the 1880's. The tunic is red with black cuffs & the fancy bits are a very pale blue.
Retlaw.
He is as I suspected a Royal Engineer with 9 button tunic and the standard lacing around collar and an Austrian knot on the cuff. The collar lace appears slightly obscure but if you look at the left side and under his chin you can see that the lace surrounds the collar as normal for RE. Collar badges were not always worn until the late 1870s. The snake belt clasp was quite common on the 1870 Valise Equipment that was issued to RE, as well as infantry.