Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   How does that work! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/how-does-that-work-35112.html)

derekgas 29-11-2007 17:00

How does that work!

A pensioner in Preston applied to warmfront (government grants vary from £300 - £2700 for heating and insulation) and was refused, he read in the paper next day, he saw a story about 20 romanians were being moved into 2 houses, which are being knocked into 1 for them, and they are to get £15,000, towards central heating! The pensioner rang warmfront and was told eventually, the best they could give him was £300. The mind boggles.

MargaretR 29-11-2007 17:07

Re: How does that work!

The pensioner who was offered £300 was obviously not in receipt of the means tested benefits
The qualifying criterion are shown here
Do I qualify for a Warm Front Grant

BERNADETTE 29-11-2007 17:15

Is the man on any benefits over and above his pension? ie Pension Credit, Council Tax Credit or anything similar. If not the only way he will be able to get it is to get a letter off his GP. Crazy but that is the way it works. A man near us applied and was turned down. After his doctor wrote a letter saying he needed central heating installed he was allowed the full grant £2,700. For that you are allowed a new boiler and five radiators. If you want any extra radiators you have to pay for them.

derekgas 29-11-2007 17:42

Yes, the company I work for are listed on the warmfront list of contractors, I was meaning two things, why was a British pensioner (who worked all his life), turned down, and again, people from other countries get thousands, and secondly, if he didn't qualify, is the £300 hush money?

BERNADETTE 29-11-2007 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 498885)
Yes, the company I work for are listed on the warmfront list of contractors, I was meaning two things, why was a British pensioner (who worked all his life), turned down, and again, people from other countries get thousands, and secondly, if he didn't qualify, is the £300 hush money?

Which firm do you work for? We had heating installed through Warm Front can't remember name of form (and can't be bothered looking for paperwork:p) brilliant job and it saves us a fortune!! If I were that man I would get in touch with my MP, can't do any harm and might get a result.

derekgas 29-11-2007 19:18

I work for The Family Gas Care Company, we don't do the full grant installs, only the £300 voucher towards the cost, they don't use the boilers we use, and we get a 5 years guarantee off the manufacturer, we also spend up to 6 hours cleaning the system out (powerflushing), and install a seperate unit to protect the boiler from the radiator corrosion, the full grant doesn't allow for it, so we won't do them.

BERNADETTE 29-11-2007 19:28

Now you have got me rooting for the paperwork, the work was done by Iguana. As I said before we were very happy with the work, the lad was very efficent and polite. Looking through the paperwork we are allowed two free visits for maintenance. Not as good as five year gurantee but not to bad.