Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Fire at Williams (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/fire-at-williams-35571.html)

jimmieg 23-12-2007 15:32

Fire at Williams

On July 30th 1910 several girls who lived in at Messrs Williams shop in Accrington were killed in a fire. Does anyone have any information on this tragedy?

Bob Dobson 25-12-2007 09:23

Re: Fire at Williams

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmieg (Post 506787)
On July 30th 1910 several girls who lived in at Messrs Williams shop in Accrington were killed in a fire. Does anyone have any information on this tragedy?

The shop was still open at 9.45pm. One of the lamps in the front windows 'arced', igniting a display. The fire spread rapidly. The horse-drawn Fire Brigade turned out from the nearby Market Hall fire Station. The officer in charge was told that everyone had been accounted for and concentrated on stopping the fire spreading. Sadly, this was not the case, and an hour later a roll-call was initiated. On enetering the building, the brigade found 5 ladies bodies. 3 shop assistants and 2 customers

I got this from an essay on Accrington Fire Brigade by John Kelly in the book 'An accrington Mixture' which I edited.

The shop was in Church street corner of Holme St

jimmieg 25-12-2007 18:30

Greatly appreciated. I have a before and after photo that I intend posting. jimmieg.

Retlaw 09-03-2008 13:10

4 Attachment(s)
We have already had a thread about Williams Fire in Church St last Year.

Any way heres some pictures.

Retlaw.

Lolly 10-03-2008 16:00

Is this where Bailey's is now?

lindsay ormerod 10-03-2008 16:35

Yep, previously Toymaster.

Retlaw 10-03-2008 19:47

1 Attachment(s)
Williams shp was at the corner of Holme St and Church St.

Picture taken in 1984.

Retlaw.

jackyalex 11-03-2008 10:23

Its used to be the main toy shop in accy as far as i remember, what is it now as i cant remember seeing it when i last came down

flashy 11-03-2008 10:24

its a pub lol, Baileys

MargaretR 11-03-2008 11:34

I think it was called Baileys in the 40s when it was a ladies wear/haberdashery store.

It was the place where the shop assistants sent your money on an overhead cable system to a cashier , who put your change and reciept in the 'screw mugsized thingy' and zoomed it back to the shop assistant on the cable.

It is difficult to describe to those who never saw it - fascinated me as a child, and makes that shop so memorable.

cashman 11-03-2008 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 544094)
I think it was called Baileys in the 40s when it was a ladies wear/haberdashery store.

It was the place where the shop assistants sent your money on an overhead cable system to a cashier , who put your change and reciept in the 'screw mugsized thingy' and zoomed it back to the shop assistant on the cable.

It is difficult to describe to those who never saw it - fascinated me as a child, and makes that shop so memorable.

remember seeing that vaugely, thought it was "Sauls" up black abbey,but obviously not.

Lolly 11-03-2008 12:56

1 Attachment(s)
You can still see the old signs on it. It goes round the pub on the green background. It says "Bailey's Ltd, Hosiers & Gloves" It also says "Millner's" on the corner is this the name of the owner?

lindsay ormerod 11-03-2008 17:16

Is it "milliners" ? Thats the old name for hat makers .

MargaretR 11-03-2008 17:20

It was like a small department store. My mum took me when she needed to buy silk stockings - nylons hadn't been invented.

There was a similar store nearby named Moffitts, but I can't remember exactly where that was - perhaps Atarah will.

Retlaw 11-03-2008 17:42

If I'm not mistaken Baileys was on Church St next door to William's,
you used to be able to see the sign on there from the Library steps.
I have a photo somewhere.
Saul's in Black Abbey St also had the system of sending your money
and purchase order on a cable to the cashier.
He got rid of it in the early 1960's.

There were three shops that still had the system in the 1940's

Bailey's and Sauls were two of them.
Seem to remember some of the Co-ops had them as well, Warner St ?.

Retlaw.