Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Well done Hyndburn council (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/well-done-hyndburn-council-43031.html)

K.S.H 03-10-2008 12:57

Well done Hyndburn council

Well done Hyndburn, you fluffed it again.

Went down town this morning and went to park in the usual place behind Union street, bottom half of car park all marked out with yellow boxes for disabled, they have taken 12 parking spaces away and put in 9 disabled bays, thats 3 spaces lost, yeah I know they need extra room to get out etc but guess how many cars were parked in them - NONE so to me thats 12 spaces lost
Went round the corner onto Union street (after waiting 10 mins for a parking space) and all the disabled were parked on there.

Less 03-10-2008 14:23

Re: Well done Hyndburn council

I have been informed that to get a 'disabled badge', a person has to have a disability, restricting them to being able to walk a maximum of 50 yards, if this is true, how come the only shop within range of these bays is a D.I.Y./builders merchant type place?

Oh well, the planners must be right.

derekgas 03-10-2008 14:46

If disabled can park on yellow lines, presumably because they cant walk far (not that I havnt seen some who would beat me in a race!), then why place disabled bays so far away? It is the same with diy stores, parking at the doors for the people you would think couldnt do diy! Then there are complaints when people with no disabilities use the spaces, which leads to using more genuinely needed spaces which leads to more complaints about disabled spaces being used by non badge holders.

Neil 03-10-2008 14:52

I wonder how long the jamster will take to reply to this thread? ;)

derekgas 03-10-2008 14:55

Haha, will pretend to be working when he does neil! :D

jaysay 03-10-2008 16:26

I'm not sure Whether HBC are responcible for this, or if it now comes under the remite of LCC. I know all road repairs are undertaken by County now whether marking out carparks with yellow lines is within their scope I'm not that sure

Neil 03-10-2008 16:35

That is a pet annoyance of mine. People blaming the wrong set of *censored* at the wrong Council. If we are going to insult people lets make sure it is the correct people :D:D

It's bad enough with our politicians blaming the wrong people all the time just because it serves a purpose without us doing it as well.

K.S.H 04-10-2008 14:05

Went past there today and the car park looked chocker block apart from the newly painted yellow hatched area

emzy 04-10-2008 18:26

They should have created a few more parent and child spaces, I have a complete nightmare getting the boys out of a car in a normal parking space (given that they are both still in car seats, which are quite high and need lifting out of them)

Caz 04-10-2008 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H (Post 637762)
Went past there today and the car park looked chocker block apart from the newly painted yellow hatched area

Same yesterday afternoon when we went on. No one parking in them at all, and because able bodied drivers didn't know about the markings, people driving down there and having to turn round all the time, including us. :(

LYNX1 25-10-2008 13:00

Went down the other day and was gob smacked......there were 2 cars on the disabled bays..........first time I have seen them being used

jelly baby 28-11-2008 13:37

They have also done this with the little car park at the bottom of Oak St.

Ken Moss 04-02-2010 07:15

This must be the only disabled parking bay in the world that isn't full of Chelsea tractors abandoned by able-bodied lazy yuppies!

Sorry, this is one of my bugbears about people who drive expensive cars.

garinda 04-02-2010 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 784975)
This must be the only disabled parking bay in the world that isn't full of Chelsea tractors abandoned by able-bodied lazy yuppies!

Sorry, this is one of my bugbears about people who drive expensive cars.

I thought the term Yuppies had died with the last century.

I can't say I've seen many 'young urban professionals' in Accrington, unless they now wear tracksuits, tucked into their socks.

:D

Ken Moss 04-02-2010 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 784980)
I thought the term Yuppies had died with the last century.

I can't say I've seen many 'young urban professionals' in Accrington, unless they now wear tracksuits, tucked into their socks.

:D

There are enough 'posh folk' in Chelsea tractors (apparently disabled but remarkably devoid of orange badges) at Asda in Accrington. I thought this was supposed to have been clamped down on?

Chavs just don't acknowledge road markings at all. When parking it's a true case of 'two become one'.