Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Accrington Grammar School Magazines (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/accrington-grammar-school-magazines-58578.html)

Bob Dobson 16-07-2011 20:41

Accrington Grammar School Magazines

Accrington Library have an allmost-complete collection of the magazines published 1950-75. They lack No 5 (1954) ,and those for 1950 and 1971.

If anyone has copies of these which they are prepared to give to the library, I will make the necessary arangements if they will send me a private message.

I am doing some work on the contents so that material from them can be put onto the Old Boys' website.

Wynonie Harris 16-07-2011 23:04

Re: Accrington Grammar School Magazines

Great! Does that mean that my long-lost literary classic "The Sands of Time" (1967) will finally see the light of day?

The poet laureateship beckons. Roll over Philip Larkin and tell John Betjeman the news! :D

Bob Dobson 17-07-2011 11:52

How can I be kind here? It is a delightful,thought-provoking piece, which got pride of place on the first page of the contributions' pages and occupied almost all of it. I have given it - and the item 'Metaphysical Ectacy' in the 1968 mag - a lot of consideration. I feel that our website users are not up to the shock these pieces will bring to their senses.

There, that should do it.

Balbus 17-07-2011 12:41

But p m it to one or two of us (including me).

Retlaw 17-07-2011 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 919660)
How can I be kind here? It is a delightful,thought-provoking piece, which got pride of place on the first page of the contributions' pages and occupied almost all of it. I have given it - and the item 'Metaphysical Ectacy' in the 1968 mag - a lot of consideration. I feel that our website users are not up to the shock these pieces will bring to their senses.

There, that should do it.

Ell fire Dobbo, all that gibberish for the word CRAP.:D:D:D
Retlaw.

Bob Dobson 17-07-2011 14:45

Sorry lads - my technical skills are not up to the required standard. Whilst not agreeing with Walter 100%, let me say "Not to my liking".

cashman 17-07-2011 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 919695)
Sorry lads - my technical skills are not up to the required standard. Whilst not agreeing with Walter 100%, let me say "Not to my liking".

Well seems Walter was right, yeh think its crap.:D

Wynonie Harris 17-07-2011 16:43

Did Lord Byron have to put up with sort of abuse? Was Percy Bysshe Shelley subjected to this kind of cruel mockery. I think not!

Philistines, the lot of you!

Bob Dobson 17-07-2011 17:02

This from a chap who hides behind a girl's name and has pictures on his postings which many will consider inappropriate for one who received a state-funded education of the highest standard. No mention of McGonigle, so I won't mention him. And this through me appealing for the gift of a few magazines - please remember that this is what this thread is all about - no more going off-thread please, even by arty-farty, would-be poets.

Who can come up with these magazines.?

Wynonie Harris 17-07-2011 17:23

I shall not even dignify the last post with a response, but, instead, rest secure that like many great artists, my work will receive its true recognition long after I am departed from this mortal coil.

Tealeaf 17-07-2011 17:38

I always thought Accy Grammar was a boys school, not a girls.

Please, ladies, behave yourselves.

Wynonie Harris 17-07-2011 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 919724)
I always thought Accy Grammar was a boys school, not a girls.

Please, ladies, behave yourselves.

...and if you're not careful, I'll recite it to you verbatim next time we're having pre-match drinks in the Oak Lea. I can just hear Cashy's response now. ;)

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread for a little whimsical banter, Bob. Come on, old Accringtonians, find those missing issues! :D

DaveinGermany 17-07-2011 18:22

My curiosity is now piqued ! Is there an avenue that enables the viewing of this wordy masterpiece by our very own Mr Wyn (Accy Stan 'til I die) Harris, or like the proverbial Cat, will its pursuit end with ones demise ? :)

Bob Dobson 21-07-2011 11:36

Back to the magazines, which are properly called The Accringtonian': the missing ones are 1954, 1970 & 1971.
1950 was a typing erro on my part.

The lists of joiners and leavers which are in most of the magazines are being worked on at present with a view to putting them onto the website.

Studying them has reinforced my view that, although the members of our Association have greatly increased in number in recent years, we still have far too few lads who attended the Moorhead site when the school left Blackburn rd in 1968. I would appreciate receiving names and contact details for anyone who fits into this frame.

We have almost 500 names on what we call 'the register'

Michael1954 21-07-2011 19:55

I have read the poems. The word constipated springs to mind.