Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Todmorden Curve (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/todmorden-curve-61046.html)

JCB 23-10-2013 16:38

Re: Todmorden Curve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reamer (Post 1007814)
Here's a link from the LT showing revamped design for Burnley Man Rd station.
Final paragraph states that services to Manchester via Tod curve due to start May 2014

Iconic fin design planned in Burnley Railway Station revamp (From Lancashire Telegraph)

May 2014 ?

Not according to today's LT .

It will be delayed by at least six months .

Why ?

They haven't enough trains !!!

No further comment needed . It speaks for itself . :mad:

'Lack of trains' to hold up new £8.8m Todmorden Curve route (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Gremlin 23-10-2013 17:13

1 Attachment(s)
I was on Todmorden station recently and there looks to be a new platform being constructed terminating in the station.
The work on the curve is going well and I have vivid memories of hanging around there waiting for a friendly banking engine driver letting me ride to Copy Pit and back with him.
I later lived at Calder Head farm near Copy pit and a lot of the land is now taken over by the compound where all the cabins and equipment will be stored for the renewal of the Holme Tunnel.

The picture below is the Todmorden triangle I knew in the 50s & 60's

cmonstanley 23-10-2013 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1080836)
May 2014 ?

Not according to today's LT .

It will be delayed by at least six months .

Why ?

They haven't enough trains !!!

No further comment needed . It speaks for itself . :mad:

'Lack of trains' to hold up new £8.8m Todmorden Curve route (From Lancashire Telegraph)

another reason to re-nationalize . invest in Britain

keep the faith 06-01-2014 10:36

Apparently there have been some problems relating to the unavailability of rolling stock which has caused a further delay in the line re opening. According to The Citizen, following some involvement by local MP's the issue has now been resolved and the new service should start up sometime early in the new year. Fingers crossed!

Gremlin 06-01-2014 13:00

Did the Citizen mention when the Holme tunnel will be reopened?
The last I heard was the realigning and strengthening of the tunnel would take until mid March, the job included new rails and drainage.
I passed Calder Head farm where I once lived, a couple of weeks ago and by the look of all the land they have made into a works unit with big machinery and double high ports cabins it is a big job.
Until that job is finished no trains will run on the curve.
Probably have it timed for everything to finish together.

Neil 06-01-2014 15:09

If you look at this link it says 23rd March 2014. There is an interesting video showing what they are doing to the tunnel

Northern Rail - News - Holme Tunnel engineering work

ANd this link from 2012 mentions the curve and tunnel repairs http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...fter_May_2014/

Atarah 06-01-2014 22:49

28th March 2014 is the supposed deadline for the re-opening of Holme tunnel

wadey 07-01-2014 16:35

Thanks for the link Neil, I have to say that it will still be a longish journey to Manchester via Tod

Atarah 07-01-2014 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1089719)
28th March 2014 is the supposed deadline for the re-opening of Holme tunnel

As we speak have heard the "men in orange" are getting on well with the work

ps
Whilst at Hebden Bridge on Sunday just gone, I saw the actress Sarah Lancashire, her recent Tuesday evening's viewing of Last Tango in Halifax has been truly marvellous.

Neil 07-01-2014 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 1089765)
Thanks for the link Neil, I have to say that it will still be a longish journey to Manchester via Tod

QUicker and easier than doing Accy to Blackburn. Then Blackburn to Bolton. Then Bolton to Manchester though. Or you can pay more and do Accy to Preston then Preston to Manchester

keep the faith 08-01-2014 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 1089765)

It also knocks 40 minutes off the Accy/Manchester bus journey.

Atarah 08-01-2014 20:23

Shucks, have missed Michael Portillo’s Great Railway Journey`s - he apparently was at Church and Oswaldtwistle station, Accrington station and the Dunkenhalgh – BBC2 6.30 tonight (Wed)

Shucks, I missed it!

wadey 08-01-2014 21:45

BBC iPlayer - Great British Railway Journeys: Series 5: Preston to Rochdale

Gremlin 02-02-2014 18:53

3 Attachment(s)
I had a quick look at the bit of Todmorden curve you can see from the footbridge.

No.1 The left fork goes to Hebden Bridge and the right will eventually go into Todmorden station and onwards to Manchester.

No.3 Looking back towards Burnley, they have installed a switch over to get the trains onto the other line so they can go into Tod station.
I think that once the Home tunnel re-alignment is finished trains will be able to run through from Accrington to York again even though the curve may not be finished.
It looks to me as though the work on the track they use to York is completed, the switch overs are complete and the cables to the points and signals are in place.

Alan Varrechia 04-03-2014 17:39

Just heard on tv that the opening is now delayed till December due to lack of rolling stock.