Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Charity Shops (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/charity-shops-65045.html)

Bob Dobson 29-09-2013 14:17

Charity Shops

I would like to visit and make contact with any cancer-connected charity shops in Accrington or Gt Harwood. Where are they? Which organisation? Any contact details?

Margaret Pilkington 29-09-2013 14:59

Re: Charity Shops

There is no longer a cancer charity shop in Accrington.....I can't say about Gt Harwood.

Bob Dobson 29-09-2013 15:44

Is there a local Macmillan ? They held their annual 'World's Biggest Coffee Morning ' on Friday, so maybe there is a local branch. We attended Britain's highest one - in the Peel Tower, Holcombe. fantastic views after a strenuous climb.

Margaret Pilkington 29-09-2013 16:36

No Bob, there was a Macmillan coffee morning hosted by Barbara Kays (shoe shop)...and maybe the Hospice shop participated....but the Cancer Research shop that was on Broadway has been gone quite a while now....I am not aware of any other Cancer Charity shops in Accrington

maxthecollie 29-09-2013 17:59

There is the Blackburn Hospice shop at the top of Peel Street

anzac 29-09-2013 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1077472)
I would like to visit and make contact with any cancer-connected charity shops in Accrington or Gt Harwood. Where are they? Which organisation? Any contact details?

There is an East Lancashire Hospice Shop in Accrington and also one in Great Harwood.

Bob Dobson 29-09-2013 19:48

Thanks for these responses.

Judith Addison 02-10-2013 21:16

Sue Johnson, landlady of the Peel Park pub, is THE local fund-raiser for Macmillan - I think she's just reached £40,000. She could perhaps give you information about cancer shops.

cashman 02-10-2013 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judith Addison (Post 1077888)
Sue Johnson, landlady of the Peel Park pub, is THE local fund-raiser for Macmillan - I think she's just reached £40,000. She could perhaps give you information about cancer shops.

Bob goes in yon,as i do fer school reunions, so ideal to ask her next time, possibly.:)

Bob Dobson 03-10-2013 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judith Addison (Post 1077888)

I shall take your advice and visit this very day. In anticipation of your good nature and generosity, I shall start a tab behind the bar for you - pie & peas and a couple of pints. If Cashy is in - I'm sure you will treat him too.

In fact I am in touch with a Macmillan employee /fundraiser. She is taking soundings for ne. One problem is that they do not have shops.

US Angel 06-10-2013 20:40

All the pound shops and not a charity shop something doesn't seem right

Bob Dobson 06-10-2013 20:50

I have had confirmation from MacMillan that they don't have shops, and so cannot take advantage of a donation of books which will bring in around £5,000. However, Marie Curie's fundraisers are keen to accept, so I am pursuing that option.

GJWatson 09-10-2013 22:39

This cause to me, if so overlooked guys. Ok, so its ok to collect for the sick and the elderly(we will all hopefully get there one day) but the cancer research and its funding winds me up no end! Done a run and a few other things on behalf of this charity but it dont even begin to scratch the surface!

jaysay 10-10-2013 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJWatson (Post 1078926)
This cause to me, if so overlooked guys. Ok, so its ok to collect for the sick and the elderly(we will all hopefully get there one day) but the cancer research and its funding winds me up no end! Done a run and a few other things on behalf of this charity but it dont even begin to scratch the surface!

I've made a monthly donation to the Christy for many years now, They worked wonders saving Joan's eldest back in the 90s

Relay For Life 25-11-2013 15:44

Hi Bob,

I am a Cancer Research UK Representivie in the area currenly organising Relay For Life Accrington. If I can help with you queery please let me know.