Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Sport and Hobby Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/)
-   -   Rugby Union (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/rugby-union-59562.html)

gynn 17-10-2011 05:22

Rugby Union

Its interesting to see that, despite the Rugby Union World Cup having been going on for what seems like months, there hasn't been a single post about it on this site. As far as Accy Web readers are concerned, Rugby Union flys under the radar.

I'm not surprised. I've tried to understand the rudiments of the game, but I've been reduced to watching the referee rather than the players, because he seems to be the most important person on the field, sticking his hand up to signify a penalty for one side or the other in a completely random fashion.

And as for those Welshmen moaning about the "harshness" of the sending off, I thought the player was lucky not to be arrested for assault, picking up an opponent, turning him upside down and letting him drop.

As you can see, I'm not a fan!

cashman 17-10-2011 05:48

Re: Rugby Union

Union or league it aint a game ive ever been able to get into, have watched both in the past n its just a big no-no to me.

jaysay 17-10-2011 08:35

Can 't be doing with egg chasers

jedimaster 17-10-2011 17:47

fraid I'm a BIG fan of the union and can't stand rugby league, much preferred to football which is personally like watching paint dry.

jaysay 17-10-2011 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster (Post 940526)
fraid I'm a BIG fan of the union and can't stand rugby league, much preferred to football which is personally like watching paint dry.

I take it Wyn hasn't tried to bend your ear then;)

garinda 17-10-2011 18:27

I have a twelve year old relative having trials for Lancashire this month.

He enjoys it.

yerself 17-10-2011 20:55

P. G. Wodehouse put it much better than I could.

"Rugby football is a game I can't claim absolutely to understand in all its niceties, if you know what I mean. I can follow the broad, general principles, of course. I mean to say, I know that the main scheme is to work the ball down the field somehow and deposit it over the line at the other end and that, in order to squalch this programme, each side is allowed to put in a certain amount of assault and battery and do things to its fellow man which, if done elsewhere, would result in 14 days without the option, coupled with some strong remarks from the Bench."
Very Good, Jeeves (1930)

cashman 17-10-2011 21:11

Never seen that quote before yerself,but the geezer summed it up very nicely.;)

Wynonie Harris 17-10-2011 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster (Post 940526)
much preferred to football which is personally like watching paint dry.

You have obviously never watched football on the Clayton End with Cashy in full non-PC flow! ;)

jedimaster 18-10-2011 06:57

fraid not wynonie, and there aint much chance of it happening either

jaysay 18-10-2011 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster (Post 940594)
fraid not wynonie, and there aint much chance of it happening either

That statement is like a dagger in Wyn's heart Jedi:D

jedimaster 18-10-2011 18:31

if i wanted to watch a bunch of long haired hippies prancing round a field i'd book tickets for glastonbury :D

jaysay 18-10-2011 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster (Post 940696)
if i wanted to watch a bunch of long haired hippies prancing round a field I'd book tickets for glastonbury :D

Hang on a minute there's a lot of um have dreadlocks these days:rolleyes::D

Wynonie Harris 18-10-2011 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster (Post 940696)
if i wanted to watch a bunch of long haired hippies prancing round a field i'd book tickets for glastonbury :D

No long-haired hippies at Stanley...certainly not on the home side anyway! And certainly no "prancing" round the field..a bit of clogging maybe! ;)

walkinman221 18-10-2011 21:25

Sorry wyn our musical tastes are the same but soccer is a game for overpaid (at the higher levels) cheating , overated, preening, soft, fairies. Having played a lot of league and a little union i have to say its a game which probably saved me from being a naughty(er) boy ,also you only have to watch how the players treat and speak to the referee to see it is a better game ,both codes i mean.The ref is never confronted with a player sticking his face in his and proceeding to shout and bawl at him and doubt his parentage. Most rugby players call the ref sir and take his word as final (rightly or wrongly).Having said that the behavior of Englands union lads in the world cup has been a disgrace, so i'll get me coat:D:D