Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD/TV/Film Discussion (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/)
-   -   Upstairs Downstairs - remake! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/upstairs-downstairs-remake-60745.html)

kestrelx 20-02-2012 09:52

Upstairs Downstairs - remake!

Caught a bit of this new "Upstairs Downstairs." I don't see the point of them using that name as this one is nothing like the original so why call it that? The original was mainly in the house and that is the way they should have done the new one. This one just seems like any other TV show about life in 1938!

jaysay 20-02-2012 09:58

Re: Upstairs Downstairs - remake!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 971356)
Caught a bit of this new "Upstairs Downstairs." I don't see the point of them using that name as this one is nothing like the original so why call it that? The original was mainly in the house and that is the way they should have done the new one. This one just seems like any other TV show about life in 1938!

Well that's something we can agree on, although I never have been keen on this type of period drama

claytonx 20-02-2012 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 971359)
Well that's something we can agree on, although I never have been keen on this type of period drama

I watched it,and thought it can only get better.

jaysay 20-02-2012 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 971360)
I watched it,and thought it can only get better.

Anything only gets I chance to make a first impression, its usually down hill after that Roy.

kestrelx 20-02-2012 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 971359)

I watched repeats of the original recently and liked it as a look back from an historical perspective! :D The son came back from 1st World War wounded - then lost all his money in the 1930's stock market crash and topped himself!

wadey 20-02-2012 14:48

It's OK but not a patch on the original and it's not going to beat Downton

annesingleton 27-02-2012 17:51

It just happened to be on telly in our house last night, nobody actually watching as I was getting things sorted for morning, and I got quite caught up in it, it was obviously more interesting than making sandwiches and sorting clothes out! But I don't think I would make a point of watching it.

ToffeeGuy 27-02-2012 22:21

Problem is there are no characters to actually like or relate to. The poshos are cold and the below stairs characters just aren't that interesting, the butler is just a pompous prig. Oh for the days of Gordon Jackson!

The historical references are heavy handed and contrived. Oh look, here are the Kennedys popping by for dinner. A group of refugees arrive in a cloud of steam to the chimes of 'I Vow To Thee My Country'. That made me wince.

Makes me long for the return of Downton.

susie123 27-02-2012 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 973502)
Problem is there are no characters to actually like or relate to. The poshos are cold and the below stairs characters just aren't that interesting, the butler is just a pompous prig. Oh for the days of Gordon Jackson!

The historical references are heavy handed and contrived. Oh look, here are the Kennedys popping by for dinner. A group of refugees arrive in a cloud of steam to the chimes of 'I Vow To Thee My Country'. That made me wince.

Makes me long for the return of Downton.

Do you think we would fel so negatively about it if it were a new series without an well loved predecessor to live up to.

I actually think Adrian Scarborough is rather good as the butler but agree the refugee sequence was a bit heavy handed and nauseating.

How many cliched stock characters have they thrown in?

The warm hearted Cockney cook

The semi-comedy Indian

The maiden aunt

The disabled relative no one talks about

The fragile mother who longs for another child

The flighty nursery maid

The leering chauffeur

AND the real... Duke of Kent and the Kennedys

What really got me was Persie being able to call London from a German pay phone... in 1938???????

Jim Procter 05-03-2012 21:00

Maybe I am getting old, I am 80, but I quite liked it.

susie123 05-03-2012 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 975498)
Maybe I am getting old, I am 80, but I quite liked it.

Don't get me wrong after my last post Jim - so did I.

cashman 05-03-2012 22:19

Never bother wi re-makes of summat that was good.

claytonx 06-03-2012 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 975508)
Don't get me wrong after my last post Jim - so did I.

I enjoyed Sunday's program

annesingleton 06-03-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 975610)

I did too - I think I might be getting hooked!

kestrelx 12-03-2012 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 975610)

I watched the original, I just don't know how they can call this new one the same name when it's just not the same at all, seems pointless to me!