Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD/TV/Film Discussion (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/)
-   -   Betting advertising (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/betting-advertising-61744.html)

ToffeeGuy 19-06-2012 23:18

Betting advertising

Anyone else a bit uneasy about the current spate of advertising for bookmakers and gambling on the TV? I know it's mostly to do with the football but there are loads of bingo adverts as well

It can be a serious addiction and they seem to be ramming it down people's throats at the moment. I know that they only changed the rules a few years back so that they could advertise on TV but I think they should look again and ban the adverts.

I know the same could be same with booze but the difference to me is gambling is easier than drinking what with phone/internet betting whereas if I wanted to drink I would have to walk to a shop/pub and it would sold to me by a 'reponsible' shopkeeper/barman (Ok, responsible is another debate, but I think you know what I mean).

All these adverts seem to be normalising an activity which can bring misery to people's lives. I know this sounds a bit serious and is nothing about any religious beliefs or personal experiences, it just makes me feel uneasy.

cashman 19-06-2012 23:21

Re: Betting advertising

Agree its making it very easy fer young uns to get sucked into Gambling.:eek: Seems ironic to me,Fags are now hidden behind closed shutters/doors, Yet Gambling can also be really harmful.

accyman 20-06-2012 03:21

if betting was banned accy center would loose a 3rd of its shops

Mick 20-06-2012 04:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 998751)
if betting was banned accy center would loose a 3rd of its shops

I will bet you it would not :D

cashman 20-06-2012 07:36

Aint about banning it, More about taking it outa yer face on T.V. etc imho.

MargaretR 20-06-2012 07:42

I was a bingo addict at one time.
When I see the bingo ads I cringe to think that I was classified with the low life thickos that their ads depict and aim at.
So, the ads are 'aversion therapy' for me :D

jaysay 20-06-2012 08:42

Well I'd willingly strangely that screaming Italian advertising Ladbrokes before footy matches, he's been getting on my nerves for months:mad::mad:

cashman 20-06-2012 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 998764)
Well I'd willingly strangely that screaming Italian advertising Ladbrokes before footy matches, he's been getting on my nerves for months:mad::mad:

Yeh want strangling.:D Is that a strange observation?

jaysay 20-06-2012 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 998790)
Yeh want strangling.:D Is that a strange observation?

okay so I got the e and l the wrongway round:p