Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD/TV/Film Discussion (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/)
-   -   Satelite TV (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/satelite-tv-63416.html)

Retlaw 25-01-2013 20:50

Satelite TV

Any one else having problems with Skyb or FreeSat, both are coming back with messages no signal unplug your box and wait 5 mins.
Still no signals, I suspect its a fault on the land lines carrying the signals to the uplink transmitter, the web has started to run really slow as well can't get on the Great War Forum.

maxthecollie 25-01-2013 20:51

Re: Satelite TV

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1038889)
Any one else having problems with Skyb or FreeSat, both are coming back with messages no signal unplug your box and wait 5 mins.
Still no signals, I suspect its a fault on the land lines carrying the signals to the uplink transmitter, the web has started to run really slow as well can't get on the Great War Forum.

Our freesat is working ok

Alan Varrechia 25-01-2013 20:52

We're having the same problem at the moment, freeview box. Missed part 2 of Silent Witness. I assume it's something to do with the weather. :mad::mad:

lancsdave 25-01-2013 20:53

Seen quite a lot of people complaining on Facebook they have lost Sky because of the weather

Boeing Guy 25-01-2013 21:00

Same problem, I find Car decider and banging to remove the ice that has formed on the dish helps.
But not for long......

entwisi 25-01-2013 21:04

snow does affect sky/satellite TV as teh whole thing relies on line of sight to the sat from the dish. Snow blocks this, Nowt to do with telephony or anything else, Freesat uses the same sat BTW

Mine is working fine BTW so clearly Sky itself is not "offline"

Retlaw 25-01-2013 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 1038897)
snow does affect sky/satellite TV as teh whole thing relies on line of sight to the sat from the dish. Snow blocks this, Nowt to do with telephony or anything else, Freesat uses the same sat BTW

Mine is working fine BTW so clearly Sky itself is not "offline"

FreeSat is one of the 5 Astra satellites in in the same group 36, 000 miles out into space, Sky is another one of that group, as for line of site the angular difference between Bash & Acc is miniscule.

Boeing Guy 25-01-2013 21:32

36000miles, sounds a bit far for geo stationary, the US NAVSTAR (GPS) are only 22000miles.
You sure you did not mean km?

maxthecollie 25-01-2013 22:06

Me freesat has gone off now at23.06

BERNADETTE 25-01-2013 22:14

My freeview keeps going off

Retlaw 25-01-2013 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1038902)
36000miles, sounds a bit far for geo stationary, the US NAVSTAR (GPS) are only 22000miles.
You sure you did not mean km?

Yep, even at 36,000 km its still a flaming long way to walk, found out what was up the quad head was completely covered in snow, had to use an extending handled brush to knock it off, most of it landed on me, gonna have to make it a little umbrella, if this weather keep up.

entwisi 25-01-2013 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1038899)
FreeSat is one of the 5 Astra satellites in in the same group 36, 000 miles out into space, Sky is another one of that group, as for line of site the angular difference between Bash & Acc is miniscule.

I think you will find they all share the group of sats and I didn't suggest there was more than one because for all intents and purposes there is a singular collection that deals with our satellite TV needs. If you knew this much you would also understand the needs of line of sight so it begs the question why your earlier posts were so misguided????????

and yes, its 36K km not miles

Quote:

All the ASTRA satellites operate in the geostationary orbit, some 36,000km above the Earth’s equator. ASTRA groups the satellites in five clusters, at the ASTRA 19.2°E, ASTRA 28.2°E, ASTRA 23.5°E, ASTRA 5°E and ASTRA 31.5°E positions.
SKy as we know it uses 28.2E with a little on 28.5

Retlaw 25-01-2013 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 1038914)
I think you will find they all share the group of sats and I didn't suggest there was more than one because for all intents and purposes there is a singular collection that deals with our satellite TV needs. If you knew this much you would also understand the needs of line of sight so it begs the question why your earlier posts were so misguided????????

and yes, its 36K km not miles

SKy as we know it uses 28.2E with a little on 28.5

Hold on Ian, I thought signals had to originate somewhere land based before being up loaded to the satelite, like BBC & ITV all start off here in England, and are sent to transmitters via the telephone nextwork, I know that outside broadcasts use the satelites to bounce the signals to the studios, so I suspected a cable fault somewhere, didn't know it was snowing so bad that it had covered the quad head.
Back in the days before satelites when there was only a couple or three channels we we always losing signals because of GPO faults on the landlines before the signals got to Winter Hill.

jaysay 25-01-2013 22:57

Re: Satellite TV

Ya mine has gone off too that's why I'm on here at this ungodly hour:D

Neil 26-01-2013 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1038899)

Its because of the snow, maybe your dish alignment is poor and you get away with it normally.

This far north we should use a 60cm dish not the 48cm dishes that most installers use. They do it because they are cheaper and people like the look of the smaller dish on the house