Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Half mast. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/half-mast-18525.html)

garinda 13-12-2005 14:22

Half mast.

We've just returned from Accrington and I was intrigued as to why the flag pole infront of the Town Hall is flying the Union Jack at half mast.

Any ideas what, or whom it is for?

jimmi5bellies 13-12-2005 15:05

Re: Half mast.

Hope its not bad news about Norman Kember ...

Tealeaf 13-12-2005 15:45

Britcliffe's cat has died.

Doug 13-12-2005 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Britcliffe's cat has died.

You Haven’t...:eek:

K.S.H 14-12-2005 06:28

Probably set at half mast ready for the next occasion just like the Xmas lights were put up in 2004 ready for xmas 2005!!

Margaret Pilkington 14-12-2005 07:07

When the flag is at half mast there is usually a notification (in the glass cabinets just by the door) who the flag has been lowered for.

garinda 14-12-2005 12:42

I didn't know that Marg. I don't usually look in there as it's full of posters for weight watchers and pantomimes.

Margaret Pilkington 14-12-2005 13:05

I don't mean the cabinets facing the door......I mean those where the election results are usually displayed.....Now I am too little to see properly so I have to get Hubby to tell me who it is who has departed.....I just know it isn't me.

K.S.H 19-12-2005 15:32

I had a look today whilst passing and it was for

MR Richard Ellis Heap.

AN HONORARY Alderman of the Borough of Hyndburn, Mr Richard Ellis Heap, died in Blackburn Royal Infirmary on Tuesday, aged 65.

Mr Heap, of Ormerod Street, Accrington, served as a councillor for 12 years and remained active in politics and community work supporting his wife Pam Barton, who still serves on the council.

He was made an Honorary Alderman two years ago.

He met his future wife when they both served on the council and they tied the knot in a low-key ceremony at Accrington Register Office in 2002.

Mr Heap, who represented Central Ward, was a lifelong member and former steward of Accrington Old Band Club, where the couple held their wedding reception.

He worked as a sheet metal worker for many years.

He loved gardening, playing pool and music.

As well as his wife, he leaves sons Nigel and David, a daughter Lesley, stepdaughters Sharron and Diana, in-laws, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and a brother.

Father David Lyon will conduct a funeral service at St James Church, Accrington, on Tuesday before cremation at Accrington.

shakermaker 20-12-2005 16:42

my mate's grandad :(
RIP pal