Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   unusual facts about Accrington or Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/unusual-facts-about-accrington-or-oswaldtwistle-22838.html)

magily 12-07-2006 21:27

unusual facts about Accrington or Oswaldtwistle

I would like to know some of the more unusual facts about Accy or Ossy if anyone knows any. You know the stuff that makes you say that you learn something new everyday. So let's see who knows what.

katex 12-07-2006 21:34

Re: unusual facts about Accrington or Oswaldtwistle

Quote:

Originally Posted by magily
I would like to know some of the more unusual facts about Accy or Ossy if anyone knows any. You know the stuff that makes you say that you learn something new everyday. So let's see who knows what.

Am learning something new from Accy web members everyday magily .. that what makes it so good. Hope they can come up with new ones ... wait for it. :D

Madhatter 12-07-2006 21:42

You have lodges that no one can live in because they're full of water. people elsewhere live in them not fill them with stagnant water and ducks.

garinda 12-07-2006 23:30

Oswaldtwistle is larger in square miles than the City of London.

Neil 13-07-2006 05:19

Oswaldtwistle has half the number of residents than Accrington.
I wonder how much money HBC spend in Oswaldtwistle, I bet it is not 50% of what is spent on Accrington ;)

chav1 13-07-2006 09:01

the first email sent to accrington was in 1998 but unfortunatly accringtons HBC offices were still running on commodore vic 20's and the reply had to be sent via carrier pigeon :)

accrington holds the world record for a town having its center refurbished

accrington currently holds both records for most charity and cheap shops per square meter

accrington was once twinned with Ahéville but after the residents of Ahéville saw what had become of accrington they respectfully disassociated themselves from the twinning system

if it wasnt for burnley accrington, would have the scummiest town center in lancashire

accringtons football team is more famous for its mentioning in a milk advert than any of its acheivments although you got to admit that advert was pretty catchy :D

since my ex fiance moved to preston accrington has dropped 200 places in the chart of places your most likely to catch a dose of VD :eek:

magily 13-07-2006 13:54

It is years since I was last in Accrington, Chav you certainly don't make it sound as though it should be top on my list to visit when I am home later this year. Is it really that bad in the town centre?

chav1 13-07-2006 14:02

Quote:

It is years since I was last in Accrington, Chav you certainly don't make it sound as though it should be top on my list to visit when I am home later this year. Is it really that bad in the town centre?

the town center is a loverly place to visit if you like the following

tripping over raised or rocky flagstones

cheap pounland type shops

charity shops

a very smelly outdoor market due to bad planning on where to put the fish stalls in the new outdoor area

and have i mentioned now that the sunshine is out you can be greated by people trying to kid themselves they are a size 8 and have everything that dosnt fit into the size 8 hanging over the sides

saying that we do now have 2 new stylish stainless steel bins that also double up as ashtrays on broadway :D

accy is allright but the town center is a mess :(

edit:

if you are still planning on coming back dont come into accy along blackburn road as british traffic laws dont apply along that area so you could be held up for some time ( aparently green light means apply handbrake and start talking to the driver in the car coming the opposite directions and double yellow lines , zigzags etc mean park here its ok as long as you put your hazzard lights on )

magily 13-07-2006 14:15

Is Blackburn town centre any better?

chav1 13-07-2006 14:22

Quote:

Is Blackburn town centre any better?

yes lots better :)

accymel 13-07-2006 15:20

Yeah i do agree about the town centre scummy shops, lets say there is naff all choice to buy decent stuff here....im sure Argos hold the monopoly on electrical & big household items - thats if they have it in store what they say online they do - dont ask its a peed off story & has made me realise that its a s***hole of crappy choice in fact Burnley least has variety - well least have stuff in stock at their argos - rant over! A waste of a town centre despite the money being wasted on it :(

mthead 13-07-2006 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
Oswaldtwistle is larger in square miles than the City of London.

Oswaldtwistle is the largest suburb in the country.

magily 13-07-2006 15:57

Apparently the population of the whole of Canada is the equivalent of London.

chav1 13-07-2006 18:25

Quote:

Apparently the population of the whole of Canada is the equivalent of London.

you cant blame accy for that one though :p

Shady McGough 13-07-2006 20:07

Accrington has the longest running panopitcon saga in Britain and is currently being kept going on this very forum - Guinness have been notified.

Accrington also has the most profitable Greggs in the country courtesy of the "Accrington dummy" (no not PB) - also known as the sausage roll.

Accrington was voted the Chav capital of Britain this year.