Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   What makes this a good forum (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/what-makes-this-a-good-forum-25016.html)

Madhatter 18-10-2006 11:45

What makes this a good forum

I'm interested in your views as to what makes this a good forum. How important do you think parts are and which parts are the least important. What do you like to see on here and what winds you up. (Apart from me)
We've discussed karma, but theres also the gallery, the arcade, sub sections on here for photography,for ossy and especially the word games, does the word games section add to the site or stop decent discussion.
Did the shop and pets add significantly to the site, and is the chat room important.
Basically which parts don't you or wouldn't you use and what would you like added.

WillowTheWhisp 18-10-2006 12:05

Re: What makes this a good forum

I never use the chatroom because I'm usually doing several things at once. What brings me here more than anywhere else is that it's local and about the area where I live. I've met lots of the members, we have a lot in common (like moaning about Hyndborg BC). The games are a welcome light relief from the serious stuff. Serious stuff is also very relevant. I liked the petz and the shop and miss those. Earning ackers and karma is fun - even grumbling about karma nickers when they do it unjustly is all part of the wonderful world of AccyWeb. Oh and we used to have acker nickers too and a bank which devalued all my hard earned savings!:D

Madhatter 18-10-2006 12:31

well I don't expect any more replies now the threads been stuffed in here. I'm not asking a question I'm asking for people to debate what makes a good forum.
Where the cheapest petrol price threads and what book are you reading threads remain in general but a debat thread gets put in questions. :confused:

Madhatter 18-10-2006 12:38

Whats about the just for fun section would you keep it or get rid of it.

Less 18-10-2006 12:41

Quote:

well I don't expect any more replies now the threads been stuffed in here.
Well you were wrong then weren't you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhatter
Whats about the just for fun section would you keep it or get rid of it.

What just for fun section?

entwisi 18-10-2006 12:42

What is teh problem with it being in Q&A??????

I tend to just hit todays posts so I see them all irrespective of what section they are in.

AccyJay 18-10-2006 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
I tend to just hit todays posts so I see them all irrespective of what section they are in.

I must admit, thats all i ever do.

:)

Madhatter 18-10-2006 12:58

I mean the anything goes section less.

WillowTheWhisp 18-10-2006 13:43

I always click on "New Posts" - I never notice which section they are in. Mine about the photo of my pocket got moved the other day because I put it in 'general' and the mods must have felt it belonged in 'anything goes'.

Madhatter 18-10-2006 14:02

This is in questions. Pay attention, back on topic.
I asked if you thought anything goes is an important part of the site.

WillowTheWhisp 18-10-2006 14:20

yes............

entwisi 18-10-2006 14:22

Quote:

getting a bit bolshy of late aren't we?????:eek:

Madhatter 18-10-2006 15:55

I'm about to spend 160 quid on forum software plus server plus all the add ons we have here.
I think this site is pretty damn good and has a winning set up, although the best set up in the world doesn't change the fact that you need a foundation of good friendly members to put hard work in so that when new members come there's something for them to answer. which is what my problem is. I've got existing competition.
The other site has got rid of my idea of forum games as they think it's stopping people from posting decent threads, I don't think so and intend to keep my games section.
What is flatering is that the other sites use a lot of my ideas. I suspect if they saw the the games and they copied it it would be ok but as I started it before I left.
I'm waiting for tealeafs tinkerbells slinks etc replies esp the girls as they use most of this place.

LancYorkYankee 18-10-2006 16:55

Quote:

I asked if you thought anything goes is an important part of the site.

I like the Anything Goes section. Mostly the varied submissions, topics, discussions, even thread wanders are a bit more okay!

Brian

Less 18-10-2006 17:26

Quote:

I'm about to spend 160 quid on forum software plus server plus all the add ons we have here.
An admirable gesture, but if because Roy has already bought this stuff and we are already using it, why not ask him what else he would prefere to use the money on?
Quote:

I think this site is pretty damn good and has a winning set up

Right so if this site is Pretty damn good and only, 'pretty damned good', why try to copy it, (why not try to beat it?)?

Quote:

although the best set up in the world doesn't change the fact that you need a foundation of good friendly members to put hard work in so that when new members come there's something for them to answer.
There is the need for the odd a*sehole as well, I'm sure Roy will be willing to rent me and others out to you.

Quote:

which is what my problem is. I've got existing competition.
Yes, I agree it is Your problem.
Quote:

The other site has got rid of my idea of forum games as they think it's stopping people from posting decent threads, I don't think so and intend to keep my games section.
Well done keep this up and you might prove independant enough to run a site like most other administrators.
Quote:

What is flatering is that the other sites use a lot of my ideas.
I've looked at your site, it is very much a clone of this site, the most original thought is it's name and like accyweb it's copied from a place that already exists! Could you please show one of your ideas?
Quote:

I suspect if they saw the the games and they copied it it would be ok but as I started it before I left.
What?
Quote:

I'm waiting for tealeafs tinkerbells slinks etc replies esp the girls as they use most of this place.
Do they, (use this place the most)? Even if they do, what is your insentive to get them to just give away the secrets of their charms so that you can steal their karisma and put it somewhere else?

If you want advise, talk to Roy, he is always willing to discuss sensible questions. If you are after free advise go to CAB.

P.S. I have on a few occasions looked at your site, not alot wrong with it, but, although there are several links in your signature to your sites, (on here), I have not come across one on your site returning the compliment, don't you think that a little selfish?