Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Southern Ireland (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/southern-ireland-26972.html)

Tinkerbelle 20-12-2006 17:01

Southern Ireland

I was talking to a lady the other day who's moved from Accy to Southern Ireland, accymel will probably confirm she didn't half sell it well :rolleyes: Don't worry I'm not going, how would accy cope without me :D

It just fascinated me that even when I asked her for some negatives to her move, her negatives, I would still regard as a positive.

I can't remember what the small town she'd moved to was called but the nearest largest town was over the border in Omagh.

The things she was saying I don't know whether to believe they seemed to good to be true.

A large 4 bed roomed house over there is 90 euros a week to rent? The average 16 year old school leaver is earning the equivalent of £200 a week?

There was lots of other things that I can't quite remember now. I've never been to Southern Ireland so can anyone confirm whether she was just pulling my leg for whatever reason. To me it just seems hard to believe or everyone would be moving over there!

accymel 20-12-2006 17:05

Re: Southern Ireland

Yeh she didnt half brag lmfao!!

She said something about their equalent family tax system & says u can claim benefits from here:eek:

Mmmmm im with a degree of scepticism but if it isnt then i'll put up with the iorish - used to that LOL!

The downside was asda was 3hrs away - ah well would suit me LOL!!!

Tinkerbelle 20-12-2006 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 354766)
She said something about their equalent family tax system & says u can claim benefits from here:eek:

I can't remember her saying you can claim benefits here (I'd already started thinking about what I was packing :D ). I thought she said the benefit system was similar to here but every child was entitled to an extra £200 a month or something?

WillowTheWhisp 20-12-2006 17:12

Is that Omagh (a town in Tyrone) or Armagh (a county)?

Southern Ireland is not as cheap as it use to be. Not too long ago you could buy a decent detatched house for £10,000! We were looking at a huge one in Donegal that was gong for £80,000 and I mean HUGE!

Educational standards are high and wages are rising with the booming economy, which is why house prices are going up. They call it the Celtic Tiger.

The downside of the house in Donegal for us was the remoteness of the village, distance to travel for schools and lack of easily accessible shops.

I have spent some time on a farm in Roscommon years ago before wages and prices took off and it was beautiful, peaceful and friendly. We could go out and leave the doors open (in fact there wasn't a lock!) so that neighbours could come in and wait for us if they called while we were out.

We didn't have running water then though - had to pump it up from a well or catch it in rain barrels. Unless you count the water which ran down the wall when we tried to install central heating via the Aga and the pipes leaked!
:D

accymel 20-12-2006 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle (Post 354769)
I can't remember her saying you can claim benefits here (I'd already started thinking about what I was packing :D ). I thought she said the benefit system was similar to here but every child was entitled to an extra £200 a month or something?

Yeh she said as u paid into this country u could claim benefits from the UK - how godknows but i suspect its a red tape benefit scam:( which i think is deffo not on.

WillowTheWhisp 20-12-2006 17:15

I think you can claim disability benefit and UK pensions are paid over there.

Tinkerbelle 20-12-2006 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 354772)
Is that Omagh (a town in Tyrone) or Armagh (a county)?

Not sure which it was Willow, she said the nearest ASDA was 3 hours away in either Omagh or Armagh

Quote:

Educational standards are high and wages are rising with the booming economy, which is why house prices are going up. They call it the Celtic Tiger.

Yes that appealed she said the average classroom has less than 20 kids

Quote:

The downside of the house in Donegal for us was the remoteness of the village, distance to travel for schools and lack of easily accessible shops.

Yes she did give that as a negative

So basically it is true what she was saying Willow? What put you off making the big leap and moving over there?

lancsdave 20-12-2006 17:49

If you are an EU/EEA national, you can stay in Ireland if you are unemployed and looking for work. You can transfer your unemployment benefit from your country of origin and it will be paid to you in Ireland for up to 3 months. After that period, you may qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance if you satisfy the conditions, which include an Habitual Residence Condition .

WillowTheWhisp 20-12-2006 17:50

It was actually my mother more than anything. She wouldn't go back there but didn't want to be left on her own here either and I'm an only one. Went back to look at the house a couple of years ago and it looks unoccupied for the most part, possibly someone living in the small extension at the back. It seemed such a shame. I'll try to find a photo of it.

SPUGGIE J 20-12-2006 17:56

I was in the republic before they went Euro and some of the places are as remote as in the Highlands. We were in a place well village called Multifarnham 8 miles from the nearest town with full amminities (Mullingar) Co. Westmeath. Now this village had a Monestry/colledge a police station 2 pubs a general store holiday village and a restaurant which was great but there was no bus services. Even back then it was fun lively and easy going as well as the Guiness tasting better.

It is proberly a better life but taxes are high due to everything else being expensive. Would I move there if I could hell yes.

WillowTheWhisp 20-12-2006 18:05

Only two pubs?

yerself 20-12-2006 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Even back then it was fun lively and easy going as well as the Guiness tasting better.

And the Irish invented whiskey. :)

And bagpipes.

Tinkerbelle 20-12-2006 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J (Post 354789)
It is proberly a better life but taxes are high due to everything else being expensive.

So she was exaggerating how financially rewarding it is to live there?

WillowTheWhisp 20-12-2006 18:11

The cost of living has risen a heck of a lot there in recent years.

Tinkerbelle 20-12-2006 18:15

I think I can understand that Willow. It was similar when I went back to Spain after they'd changed from potatas :) to euros, I noticed how much expensive it seemed to be.