Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   council tax bill? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/council-tax-bill-29169.html)

panther 11-03-2007 18:31

council tax bill?

Has anyone recieved their council tax bill for this year?
its due in april and i have not got mine yet!:confused: ......its not though i cant wait for it,:rolleyes: its just my luck not getting it and then they sending me threatning letters to pay up........or they gonna let me have a free year:D .....yeh right:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2007 18:59

Re: council tax bill?

No Panther......forget it you aren't going to get a free year...we haven't got ours yet. now I've said that what's the betting that it lands with a thump on the door mat tomorrow?

WillowTheWhisp 11-03-2007 19:41

Haven't got ours yet either.

lancsdave 11-03-2007 19:43

They will be sending them out 30th March, they will arrive 31st and you have to pay full amount by 1st April or it's a summons :D

grannyclaret 12-03-2007 01:14

I Cant Wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i Hate That Bill More Than Any

chav1 12-03-2007 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 396514)
I Cant Wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i Hate That Bill More Than Any

aye another thing we have to thank teh tories for its a bloody disgrace what they get away with charging for a P poor service

lancsdave 12-03-2007 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1 (Post 396517)
aye another thing we have to thank teh tories for its a bloody disgrace what they get away with charging for a P poor service

Don't think you can just blame the tories, as the government in power Labour could abolish it if they so wish :rolleyes:

maxwell silver 12-03-2007 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 396274)
They will be sending them out 30th March, they will arrive 31st and you have to pay full amount by 1st April or it's a summons :D

Remember something like this the other year.The bills were very late landing on doormats & some folk were getting warnings of non payment when they hadnt yet got the bill:eek: Needless to say i think it was the 1st time the council had used the postal service to send them out so they got the blame.

Neil 12-03-2007 10:07

Bring back the Poll Tax.
What could be fairer than everybody paying the same?
Why should someone in a small house pay less than someone in a big house? They create the same amount of rubbish each, have roads and lights outside. Both can use public services like the library. Both are protected (allegedly) by the Police. Both get the same cover from Fire Service, NHS etc etc etc.

accymel 12-03-2007 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 396569)
Bring back the Poll Tax.
Why should someone in a small house pay less than someone in a big house? They create the same amount of rubbish each, have roads and lights outside. Both can use public services like the library. Both are protected (allegedly) by the Police. Both get the same cover from Fire Service, NHS etc etc etc.

Noooo next you will be after Maggie Thatcher returning to power:eek: it didnt work then even worse than current system oh & filling up jails un necessarily - more on legal system .... it simply was not fair unless u was rich or had a great annual wage but many in this country dont!!

grannyclaret 12-03-2007 20:22

Quote:

Bring back the Poll Tax.

NO COMMENT...
just going off to kick the cat,,,,,,,,(only joking ):rolleyes:

jedimaster 12-03-2007 21:33

since when has fairness ever entered any government's head

as long as they get their overinflated salaries they continue to believe that we can all afford everything they can

so what appears to them to be a small amount to pay for the service that we don't get to you and me means an ever increasing overdraft constant loans and expanding credit card balances thus causing interest rates to rise due to increased spending thus in turn leading to an ever increasing overdraft constant loans and expanding credit card balances

hmmm i see a pattern emerging here

ahaa! taxation is the root of all evil it is therfore dangerous to you and the
people around you (otherwise known as passive taxation) and it must therefore be destroyed!

i hereby ban all people from paying taxes (and will use government money to employ undercover agents who will impose on the spot to anyone who is seen handing over money in their local taxation office).

Neil 12-03-2007 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 396604)
it didnt work then even worse than current system .... it simply was not fair unless u was rich or had a great annual wage but many in this country dont!!

How can it not be fair for us all to pay the same for the same services?

chav1 13-03-2007 02:51

everyone shoud pay the same all every govenment has ever done is screw everyone regardless of them been rich or poor , we get the bill for the egos of people like tony blair through higer taxes and higer council tax etc and they set the system up in such a way that it keeps the rich and poor argueing amongs themselves rather than realising whos fault it all is in teh first place

entwisi 13-03-2007 06:27

I would probably pay less if it was poll tax than the system we have now yet I don't believe the poll tax was anyting like fair. At the time I lived in a small terraced house with my mum and dad. Our rates were £180/year under the poll tax that same property was contributing nearly £1K. They didn't come to empty the bins 3x as ofeten and I'm sorry Neil but emptying a half full or full bin takes the same time/effort. likewise our street didn't suddenly get 3x as many street lights.

In honesty, we probably need as usual some form of compromise system. A basic 'charge per person' to cover stuff that you would be individually responsible for and a charge per property to cover ammenities provided to that property. In that way people with multiple household pay for all their properties and have a charge agaisnt what the themselves utilise.

Won't happen though, its too much like common sense

Neil 13-03-2007 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 396993)
They didn't come to empty the bins 3x as ofeten and I'm sorry Neil but emptying a half full or full bin takes the same time/effort.

More people, more rubbish. It is not just the empting cost, its the cost of disposal as well.

Quote:

In honesty, we probably need as usual some form of compromise system. A basic 'charge per person' to cover stuff that you would be individually responsible for and a charge per property to cover ammenities provided to that property.

That does sound like a more fair and sensible idea.

Quote:

In that way people with multiple household pay for all their properties and have a charge agaisnt what the themselves utilise.

It was the houses with many adults that were hit most and complained the most. Shared housing for students etc was a way of cheating the rates system IMHO.

lettie 13-03-2007 10:46

I would much rather that every individual paid for what they use and think that it is a much fairer system. We contribute through tax and NI to cover most national services and fair enough, we may all need to use them someday but the system that we have is unfair.

As an example, my contributions will help to fund education for children, fair enough but......many of us don't or can't have children but still continue to fund other people's children. However, when I did a degree, I had to pay for it myself as well as paying through my contributions for other people's children to be educated... Do you see what I'm getting at?

They have a system in New Zealand whereby you pay for what you use. For example, many areas over there have councils which sell official bin bags in the supermarkets. These bin bags are more expensive than your normal bag but it covers the cost of removal of the rubbish. Therefore, the more bags you fill with rubbish, the more expensive it becomes for you, so you pay for what you use. Sounds much fairer to me and seems to be catching on in more areas over there now.:D

***Mr D*** 13-03-2007 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster (Post 396886)
since when has fairness ever entered any government's head

as long as they get their overinflated salaries they continue to believe that we can all afford everything they can

so what appears to them to be a small amount to pay for the service that we don't get to you and me means an ever increasing overdraft constant loans and expanding credit card balances thus causing interest rates to rise due to increased spending thus in turn leading to an ever increasing overdraft constant loans and expanding credit card balances

hmmm i see a pattern emerging here

Sounds about right to me.:(

sarah 14-03-2007 08:35

My council tax bill turned up on Monday. Obviously I'd rather not be having to pay it, but to be fair the cost per month wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Always plenty of things in life we don't like, we just have get on with it!

panther 14-03-2007 18:07

i would say £100+ would be alot better in my pocket than the councils, they dont do half the jobs that need doing, why should we pay for it?!!
years ago when i was younger and before poll tax, there was no such thing as having to pay it and they managed, so why now?, they just a bunch of over paid ****

Neil 14-03-2007 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 397599)
years ago when i was younger and before poll tax, there was no such thing as having to pay it and they managed, so why now?

I thought you paid rates before the poll tax. Did that not go to the Council?

panther 15-03-2007 09:42

dont know, but it wasnt as bad a council tax!!
the cost is just bloody ridiculous!
thatcher started all this with the poll tax!

K.S.H 18-03-2007 12:15

Got mine yesterday, gone up £49.70 from last year, I was expecting it to be more than that

mthead 18-03-2007 12:26

Quote:

Bring back the Poll Tax.

Got to admit Neil in theory that sounds good.Every working person in a household paying the same.Thats basically what the poll tax thing was.But I think the initial amount for each person to pay was to high in the 80's.

K.S.H 18-03-2007 12:30

Trouble is they would work it out on the takings they are getting now, if Joe Bloggs pays £5000 for his castle and I pay £1000 their getting £6000, even it out and we'll pay £3000 each, Mr rich guy will be happy but I certainly won't be

mthead 18-03-2007 12:38

No the way I meant it KSH was say £500 per person.If a couple live in a house with 2 kids thats £1000.If 4 adults live in a house thats £2000 etc etc.:)

WillowTheWhisp 19-03-2007 13:27

The Council Tax bill arrived this morning and I think I've accidentally shredded it!:(

Fortunately we pay by Direct Debit! :)

entwisi 19-03-2007 13:40

got mine on Sat as well. Ouch!

I'm just glad we haven't been rebanded yet. (I wonder if I can pay 10 years in advance at a price fixed now :D )

grego 19-03-2007 13:47

Ours has just arrived:( complete rip off, weren't keen on poll tax either, think the old rates were more realistic, certainly dont get value for money now.

grannyclaret 19-03-2007 15:47

mine came this morning :sad8:

grannyclaret 19-03-2007 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 397767)

thatcher started all this with the poll tax!

Dont mention that womans name,,,, I hope she gets her come upence when she meets her maker.......

panther 19-03-2007 17:21

well just got my council tax bill today and its gone up a fiver a month:mad:
may seem nothing to some people, but it mounts up to me!!

I still think its a bloody rip-off!!:(

harwood red 19-03-2007 17:26

yeah mine arrived today, gone up £70 this year :(

Gayle 19-03-2007 19:59

Yep, got mine too - I don't even look at them, they frighten me too much. It all just goes out with direct debit.

K.S.H 19-03-2007 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 399760)
yeah mine arrived today, gone up £70 this year :(

Posh people should pay more :D

panther 19-03-2007 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H (Post 399848)

too right they should;)

jackyalex 19-03-2007 20:27

ive just got my council tax bill and im shocked at the amount that its gone up 5.7% tax band a at pennies under £1000,why does it go up so much for less services shocking

harwood red 19-03-2007 20:43

Quote:

I agree but then I'm NOT posh!!!! :rolleyes:

K.S.H 19-03-2007 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 399870)
I agree but then I'm NOT posh!!!! :rolleyes:

Did I quote your post when I said it? - just checked, pure mistake :rolleyes:
Was only saying if people are posh they should be made to pay more :D

katex 19-03-2007 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackyalex (Post 399863)
ive just got my council tax bill and im shocked at the amount that its gone up 5.7% tax band a at pennies under £1000,why does it go up so much for less services shocking

Mines gone up £ 5 per month, but inflation has to be addressed in this world (e.g Fire/police services, you would not deny them wage increases, etc., would you ?) and don't think too bad.

We are one of the poorest boroughs around and money has to be got from somehwere. What services do you consider shocking Jackylex ?

I live on my own now, so get 25% discount, however, whilst I am not winging about this, there still should be further discounts for couples against 4 adults in the house. That's why I did liked the Poll tax; council tax was very unfair, I was paying as much as my neighbours who had 5 adults in one house.

jackyalex 19-03-2007 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 399875)
Mines gone up £ 5 per month, but inflation has to be addressed in this world (e.g Fire/police services, you would not deny them wage increases, etc., would you ?) and don't think too bad.

We are one of the poorest boroughs around and money has to be got from somehwere. What services do you consider shocking Jackylex ?

I live on my own now, so get 25% discount, however, whilst I am not winging about this, there still should be further discounts for couples against 4 adults in the house. That's why I did liked the Poll tax; council tax was very unfair, I was paying as much as my neighbours who had 5 adults in one house.

i dont mind paying for the police/fire service in my council tax even though we havnt needed them here or in the village as far as i know, in fact i have only ever seen 1 police car in the village in 3 yrs and no fire crew,but no i dont mind paying for the service because you never know when you will need them, but as for the council the only thing i can see what we get is our bins and recycling taken away,i also live in a parish village that has to be paid for in our council tax,but im yet to find the church,we get a leaflet with our c/tax bill that tells you what they spend the money on and i can see that almost half goes on (other) thats not telling me anything,and as for a discount i havnt tried yet but i think i will try you never know

katex 19-03-2007 21:24

Are you saying you live on your own and don't get the 25% discount Jacky ? Children under 18 don't count, by the way.

jackyalex 19-03-2007 21:26

no ,me and hubby and 3 kids under 18,and i havnt got a discount do you think we would get one?

jackyalex 19-03-2007 21:38

do you only get a discount if there is only 1 over 18 in the home?

katex 19-03-2007 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackyalex (Post 399899)
no ,me and hubby and 3 kids under 18

Ok, so sorry, you will have to pay full whack .. was just my opinion that 2 adults as against 3/4 adults living in one house should have a further discount .. sort of sliding scale like.

katex 19-03-2007 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackyalex (Post 399907)
do you only get a discount if there is only 1 over 18 in the home?

Yes .. if only one adult in a house, which is over 18.

jackyalex 19-03-2007 21:52

oh well,i will have to kick hubby out and i can get me a discount,lol

katex 19-03-2007 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackyalex (Post 399917)
oh well,i will have to kick hubby out and i can get me a discount,lol

Had to sort you out some Karma for that one Jackyalex .. wouldn't be economically viable .. all that cheap labour gone . mending shelves, gardening, etc., no .. not financially acceptable .. :D :D

jackyalex 19-03-2007 22:56

thanks katex,i have to do all the labour myself anyway or else it wouldnt get done,alex(hubby) watches me paint ..etc and tells me im doing a good job,i think thats his way of getting out of doing it himself,but he does work hard bless him

chav1 20-03-2007 03:46

i dont know why they bother sending me a bill they may as well just start with the threatening and intimidating letters

ive got quite a collection now :rolleyes:

Kitkat 20-03-2007 13:09

Posh People !!!! who are they and why should they pay more, "not posh people" have access to the same services, eg police, schools, fire, parks etc. why should you have to pay more because you like in a bigger house?
it just means you have saved and worked hard to buy the property

entwisi 20-03-2007 13:41

Quote:

define 'Posh' for me please!

chav1 20-03-2007 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 400124)

i thought posh was one of 2 things

A: a spice girl

B: that thing you do yourself wearing a condom

harwood red 20-03-2007 15:23

Quote:

ignore ksh entwisi, he wasn't having a go at posh people but having a slight at me :rolleyes:

garinda 20-03-2007 15:40

Quote:

A popular theory holds that it is derived from the initials of “Port Out, Starboard Home,” the cooler, and thus more expensive, side of ships traveling between England and India in the mid-19th century. The acronym POSH was supposedly stamped on the tickets of first-class passengers traveling on that side of ships owned by the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. No known evidence supports this theory, however.

panther 20-03-2007 18:04

i wonder how many people are claiming single council tax and are not single, bloody loads probably :eek:?

katex 20-03-2007 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 400264)
i wonder how many people are claiming single council tax and are not single, bloody loads probably :eek:?

:D That did cross my mind too Panther .. sure loads of them. They are not supposed to cross check between the electoral roll and council tax, but could be interesting. Having said that just crossed my son off the form for electoral, even though has lived in Man. for 6 years .. think he couldn't be **sed to fill in over there, although always paid his due for the Council tax in Manchester.

And Chav .. holding your money back and not pay yer blooming bill is just making it harder for the rest of us, don't you feel any guilt? (why did I ask that question ?) :p

chav1 20-03-2007 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 400275)

And Chav .. holding your money back and not pay yer blooming bill is just making it harder for the rest of us, don't you feel any guilt? (why did I ask that question ?) :p

ever stop to think some people get left in the crap by ex partners or that some people simply cant afford it ;)

ps:

i do pay my bloody council tax and extra each week for what the bitch left me in debt with :mad:

the bigest mistake i ever made was been honest and informing the coucil she lived with me because if i hadnt i would have got my council tax paid for or at least some if not most of it

panther 20-03-2007 18:59

thats where honesty gets you chav1....NOWHERE!!

lying gits always seem to get away with everything

katex 20-03-2007 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1 (Post 400282)
ever stop to think some people get left in the crap by ex partners or that some people simply cant afford it ;)

ps:

i do pay my bloody council tax and extra each week for what the bitch left me in debt with :mad:

the bigest mistake i ever made was been honest and informing the coucil she lived with me because if i hadnt i would have got my council tax paid for or at least some if not most of it

Oh, grovel, grovel apologies if I misinterpreted your earlier post, came across as if you were withholding purposely. Will buy you a pint next meet to make up. :alc:

chav1 20-03-2007 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 400316)
Oh, grovel, grovel apologies if I misinterpreted your earlier post, came across as if you were withholding purposely. Will buy you a pint next meet to make up. :alc:

no probs 2 days without nicotine is makin me a snappy grumpy sod , if i get any worse i will end up like less :D

katex 20-03-2007 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1 (Post 400317)
if i get any worse i will end up like less :D

Nah, that takes years of practice, you still a young sprogg .... ;)