Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Moxibustion/breach birth. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/moxibustion-breach-birth-29476.html)

garinda 23-03-2007 20:06

Moxibustion/breach birth.

I have a friend who is in the later stages of pregnancy, and after much coaxing, and massaging today from the midwife, her baby is still in the breach position.

Her husband has found out that moxibustion, a chinese treatment similar to acupuncture, but with the buring of mugwort instead of needles, can help the baby get into the correct position.

Has anyone heard of a practitioner that does moxibustian in this area?

I'm going to call in to the Chinese medical centre, opposite Boots in Accrington tomorrow, to ask if they do it.

Any information will be gratefully passed on.

Thank you.:)

K.S.H 23-03-2007 20:09

Re: Moxibustion/breach birth.

Sorry I can't help but -
Chinese medical centre?
Didn't even know we had one, must walk round with my eyes shut :)

accymel 23-03-2007 20:11

Not heard of one apart from the chinese accupunture thingy shop across from boots :D

garinda 23-03-2007 20:13

Thanks guys. I think I'll pop in there tomorrow.:)

Any other old wives tips to correct a breach birth, I'll pass on when I see them on Sunday.

Doug 23-03-2007 20:15

I'd love to get into the chinese medicine shop. Always been interested. Are you sure she'd be happy being stuffed with burning Mugwort

garinda 23-03-2007 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 401868)
I'd love to get into the chinese medicine shop. Always been interested. Are you sure she'd be happy being stuffed with burning Mugwort

I think she'd try anything!

If it doesn't get into the right position she'll have to have a caesarian section, which means she'll be a bit more immobile, ans won't be able to drive for a bit. As her husband has Parkinson's, and is himself struggling with driving a bit, they'll be up Dickies Meadow.:D

steeljack 23-03-2007 20:21

Maybe Gayle or some of her harpie feminist friends are the best folks to ask about this, can't imagine that burning herbs around a Mother-to-be is a good thing , noxious fumes etc.

:D :D :D :confused:

garinda 23-03-2007 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 401881)
Maybe Gayle or some of her harpie feminist friends are the best folks to ask about this, can't imagine that burning herbs around a Mother-to-be is a good thing , noxious fumes etc.

Lol, but it is used for breach births though.

http://www.lao-kung.co.za/moxibustion.html

grego 23-03-2007 20:25

I've never heard of it G but maybe when Lettie gets back on site she may have a few ideas.

garinda 23-03-2007 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by grego (Post 401883)
I've never heard of it G but maybe when Lettie gets back on site she may have a few ideas.

I was hoping she might.:D

Doug 23-03-2007 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 401880)

If it doesn't get into the right position she'll have to have a caesarian section, which means she'll be a bit more immobile, ans won't be able to drive for a bit. As her husband has Parkinson's, and is himself struggling with driving a bit, they'll be up Dickies Meadow.:D

You can make a person feel a **** with accomplished ease. Tell her to try meditation along with a bit Yogic Breathing. I hope she has an easy birth and that both mother and baby are healthy and mobile.

God Bless.

K.S.H 23-03-2007 20:27

Try HERE, one listed in Bury in the top link

flashy 23-03-2007 20:34

reece was breach, they tried to turn him, to no avail, so i had to have a cat scan to see if i could give birth to him bottom first, now knowing the size of me you'd think i could but unfortunately my insides aint the size of me outside, its only ickle, so i had to have a c section instead, it didnt help that i actually went into labour whilst at the ante natal clinic

garinda 23-03-2007 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H (Post 401888)
Try HERE, one listed in Bury in the top link

Cheers mate, will pass it on.

Thanks for the info to about Reece's birth Flashy.

Doug 23-03-2007 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 401901)
reece was breach, they tried to turn him, to no avail, so i had to have a cat scan to see if i could give birth to him bottom first, now knowing the size of me you'd think i could but unfortunately my insides aint the size of me outside, its only ickle, so i had to have a c section instead, it didnt help that i actually went into labour whilst at the ante natal clinic

about the only thing that is then.........:D havin heard the size of ya gob....:D

flashy 23-03-2007 20:51

my backside n belly are much much bigger :D

WillowTheWhisp 23-03-2007 21:07

If you are going to make any enquiries at the Chinese medicine place opposite Boots, be sure that one of the young girls is in there as the doctor speaks very little English.

mez 23-03-2007 21:31

isn't there a chinese medication shop in blackburn it appears to be bigger than that one in accy,

harwood red 23-03-2007 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez (Post 401979)
isn't there a chinese medication shop in blackburn it appears to be bigger than that one in accy,

the one near blackburn market closed down but there is a smaller one in the mall

mez 23-03-2007 21:48

oops you can tell how long since its been since i went that way in b/burn

garinda 23-03-2007 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez (Post 401979)

There is, thanks Mez.

He's German, and once examined my tongue.:eek: :D

cherokee 23-03-2007 23:33

dont believe in all that stuff when it comes to babies nature is nature G but i hope she can find something that helps hun , lettie IMO would be the right one to advise at this time i think, and never had to have a c section im not much help im affraid but either way i hope all works out well ..good luck to your friends G ..x

cashman 23-03-2007 23:59

dont know if the chinese place does that rind, they do aquapuncture, paris had it n the herbs n crap they gave her to drink stunk the house out lol but fair play the treatment was A1.

flashy 24-03-2007 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 401984)
the one near blackburn market closed down but there is a smaller one in the mall

there is one in the mall, across from superdrug :D

Gayle 24-03-2007 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 401881)

Me, I'm totally the wrong person to talk to on this subject, I'm not one of these that advocate 'natural' births with incense and chanting, I suggest go with drugs - take whatever the midwife offers you, get yourself as high as a kite for the whole birth giving experience. :D

In fact for the whole 18 years if you can because those 18 hours in labour might be painful but it's nothing compared to the rest of it. :D Start as you mean to go on.:D

Of course, I retract any implication that drug taking might be fun and I do not advise it for anyone. :)

Neil 24-03-2007 11:44

Quote:

they'll be up Dickies Meadow.:D

That how they got in this situation in the first place :D

I hope they sort themselves out. She will be a lot better not having a section.

Neil 24-03-2007 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 402720)
Of course, I retract any implication that drug taking might be fun and I do not advise it for anyone. :)

Unless it comes in bottles with a cork in of course :D

Gayle 24-03-2007 11:52

Quote:

Whilst I accept that a section is not the best option given a choice, it is definitely the best option if the baby is in a dangerous position or unable to be born naturally.

Also, I realise that a section would be an inconvenience for your friends but in the grand scheme of things a healthy baby and six weeks of taxi rides is probably the better option.

I had Maddie 'naturally' (not really natural as she was induced and I accepted all medicinal assistance) and I had Zack as a planned section. I was depressed for four months after having Maddie and so not very healthy, was in pain for a few weeks after having Zack but didn't suffer post natal depression for more than a few days. Both are happy and healthy children now. What I'm getting at is that no birth is the same, no reaction is the same and you have to go with whatever is right for the baby at the time and then work at getting over it afterwards.

I hope you're friend is ok.

garinda 24-03-2007 13:58

Update. They don't do moxibustion at the Chinese practice in Accy, but my friends are grateful for the link to the place in Bury that does it.

Will post if it works, and babykins does a sumersault.:)

garinda 12-04-2007 18:20

Well the burning of herbs between the toes didn't work, and the baby stayed in the breech position.

Happily young Thomas Anderson Harper was safely delivered last Monday by caesarian section.

I got to meet him this afternoon and he's gorgeous, and has made his happy parent's lives even more complete.

I even got to take him for his first trip out in his pram.:)

panther 12-04-2007 18:25

ahhhhh give congratulations to the new parents!!:Banane14:
i love babys...they soooooo cute:D

what did he weigh?

grego 12-04-2007 18:31

Thats good news Gary, glad all is well.

harwood red 12-04-2007 18:39

ooo good news Gary.... hope she recovers quickly from the section.

Just glad he is sooo young if his first trip out was with uncle rindy :D ;)

Flash 12-04-2007 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 401864)
Thanks guys. I think I'll pop in there tomorrow.:)

Any other old wives tips to correct a breach birth, I'll pass on when I see them on Sunday.

WHENEVER POSSIBLE SHE NEEDS TO GET ON HER HANDS AND KNEES WITH HER BOTTOM IN THE AIR. NOT VERY DIGNIFIED I KNOW. I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT IF YOU PUT SOMETHING VERY COLD ON THE TOP OF YOUR BUMP THE BABY DOESN'T LIKE IT SO IT TURNS ROUND.

panther 12-04-2007 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 410323)
WHENEVER POSSIBLE SHE NEEDS TO GET ON HER HANDS AND KNEES WITH HER BOTTOM IN THE AIR. NOT VERY DIGNIFIED I KNOW. I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT IF YOU PUT SOMETHING VERY COLD ON THE TOP OF YOUR BUMP THE BABY DOESN'T LIKE IT SO IT TURNS ROUND.

the babys arrived:D

lettie 12-04-2007 19:07

Oooh, I can't believe that I haven't seen this thread until now.

Pass my congrats to your friends on their new arrival.

Moxibustion, like most other treatments is no where near guaranteed to turn a breech baby. Some practitioners have had some limited success with moxi but that success can't be measured or attributed soley to moxi because some babies naturally turn anyway towards the end of pregnancy.

Optimal foetal positioning (bum in the air job) also has had some limited success but for the same reasons cannot be measured accurately. The cold drink on top of the bump doesn't work at all. In 16 years as a midwife I have never known that to work.

Conventional treatments such as external cephalic version (where the baby is turned manually) also has its limits.

Babies are just like any other human being in that they do what they want, when they want.. I have known a baby turn from head first to breech during labour. This is extremely unusual but definitely happened as we had stuck an electrode on the baby's head to monitor the heartbeat. When the baby was born bum first, the electrode was still attached to the head...:D

There are also medical reasons for babies being breech. Sometimes these babies have one or both hips dislocated, they sit in breech position because they are physically incapable of kicking themselves round. Sometimes mum has a small pelvis and the baby is unable to get in there head first so sits its' smaller bum there instead.

Most breeches these days are born by section. This is because a piece of research which came out of Canada showed that baby would suffer less chance of birth injury during a section as opposed to a vaginal delivery. This research didn't tell us anything that we didn't already know, I have seen horrific injuries to some vaginal breech babies but I have also seen far more who have been uninjured. Ultimately, mode of delivery in the case of breech position is the mother's choice. Obstetricians will always recommend a section based on the Canada study but some mums absolutely do not want a section and wish to try for vaginal birth. A midwife will support that mum regardless of which choice she makes whether she agrees with it or not..:D

garinda 12-04-2007 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 410305)
what did he weigh?

Seven and a half pounds.:)

garinda 12-04-2007 22:34

2 Attachment(s)
Not great pictures because I'm a bit thick and couldn't resize the images, so had to print then scan them, but here he is...

panther 13-04-2007 07:55

ahhhh a little cute baby!!!!!!
it brings back memorys of when my little boy was born, but he was nearly 3 lb heavier!!!:(
before you know it he will be running round giving you cheek:rolleyes:

grego 13-04-2007 08:55

Aaah Gary, the pictures are lovely, if it weren't for the sleepless nights I'm still having I'd be broody again!

Flash 13-04-2007 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 410330)
the babys arrived:D

realised that as son as i posted. a tip for next time maybe

CASPER 13-04-2007 17:49

Congratulations I'm glad to hear that mother and son are both well.
:wave8:
For future reference I managed to turn my daughter after the doc couldn't by gently bouncing up and down in the water in the swimming pool. One day she was breech and the doc saying he couldn't turn her as she was too big and a swimming session and a few days later and she was in the correct position. It could have been a coincidence but I don't think so.:D

mrskitty 13-04-2007 21:45

Aww congratulations and best wishes to the new parents.
Such a fantastic time,I really wish them well xXx