Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Stones Ginger Wine (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/stones-ginger-wine-29486.html)

Mancie 24-03-2007 01:55

Stones Ginger Wine

There's been a strange looking bottle in the cupboard , a presie from about 6 months.. I've looked at it a couple of times but it says Ginger wine.. I've had ginger beer and it's ok .. but what is STONES GINGER WINE?.. I've only just noticed that it is 14.5 proof and was wondering if anyone knew what it's like?

steeljack 24-03-2007 01:59

Re: Stones Ginger Wine

its nectar from the Gods , better than mothers milk , in the 60's it was the equivalent of GBH/GHB ? (Date rape drug) worked wonders on the Accy lasses of the time .;) ;) ;)

Mancie 24-03-2007 02:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 402034)
its nectar from the Gods , better than mothers milk , in the 60's it was the equivalent of GBH/GHB ? (Date rape drug) worked wonders on the Accy lasses of the time .;) ;) ;)

Well.. thanks steeljack.. don't really know what to say other than you can't get a much better recommendation than that ! :D

steeljack 24-03-2007 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 402037)
Well.. thanks steeljack.. don't really know what to say other than you can't get a much better recommendation than that ! :D

On reflection, maybe the comparison with the date rape stuff is a bit strong, but it was very popular with the young ladies and helped in releasing certain inhibitions , hopefully Cashman and maybe Wynonie will back me up/help me out on this :D :D otherwise I am digging myself into a bloody big hole ;) ;)

jedimaster 24-03-2007 05:48

very nice with whisky (whiskymac)

grego 24-03-2007 09:04

Best advice, try it!

entwisi 24-03-2007 17:57

lovely stuff. Its nice as a long drink with lemonade or as Jedi says in Whiskey as a whiskey mac.

Its a warming but not 'firey' drink perfect for when you don't want a strong drink.

we used to brew a homemade version and I would ignore the instructions about using finings to clear it and would just leave it about 2 months to settle. You could get absolutely wasted on it and wake up teh next day as if you hadn't had a drop. In fact it was so nice it rarely made it into teh bottles :D

buttonsmum 24-03-2007 18:16

It's nbice on a clod winters night, nice and warming.

grannyclaret 25-03-2007 22:31

I had forgotten all about that ,,,,,do you remember Wincarnis as well

jedimaster 26-03-2007 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 402916)
lovely stuff. Its nice as a long drink with lemonade or as Jedi says in Whiskey as a whiskey mac.

Its a warming but not 'firey' drink perfect for when you don't want a strong drink.

we used to brew a homemade version and I would ignore the instructions about using finings to clear it and would just leave it about 2 months to settle. You could get absolutely wasted on it and wake up teh next day as if you hadn't had a drop. In fact it was so nice it rarely made it into teh bottles :D

do ya have a recipe?:D

Mancie 26-03-2007 17:53

Yes entwisi any chance of a recipe?... I did drink it and it was quite nice..warming and maybe a little to sticky/sweet.. not the sort of wine you can just wallop down!

mrskitty 26-03-2007 18:40

Did you save me any at all? :(

cashman 26-03-2007 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 402038)
On reflection, maybe the comparison with the date rape stuff is a bit strong, but it was very popular with the young ladies and helped in releasing certain inhibitions , hopefully Cashman and maybe Wynonie will back me up/help me out on this :D :D otherwise I am digging myself into a bloody big hole ;) ;)

i aint saying a word ;) only one YES.:D

Mancie 26-03-2007 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskitty (Post 403592)
Did you save me any at all? :(

nah.. sorry kitty but it was an emergency.. had to drink the whole bottle! but if you look at steeljacks post I reckon he may have some stashed away "just in case" :D

Neil 26-03-2007 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 402038)
but it was very popular with the young ladies and helped in releasing certain inhibitions

That must have been a few years ago. You can't use the words Accrington, ladies and inhibitions in the same sentence anymore. That is of course unless you add the word no. :D