Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   what age should a child be left in on their own?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/what-age-should-a-child-be-left-in-on-their-own-30605.html)

panther 09-05-2007 07:26

what age should a child be left in on their own??

on GMTV this morning asking what age should you leave your child in on their own, did you know that there is not a law for it?:( now with that being on there is gonna be more parents leaving em:( I think its wrong!!, no child especially under 13 should be left, unless they have babysitter, which was also said that they 'advice' should be over 16 years of age, and anyone who leaves their child with anyone under that age is still responsible for that child.
i know some people have 12 year olds babysitting!!!...........

WillowTheWhisp 09-05-2007 07:54

Re: what age should a child be left in on their own??

I suppose a lot depends on how long you are going to be away and how responsible the child is. When I was a single parent I couldn't have taken both of my children to school as they went in opposite directions and I don't drive so the oldest just went off on the bus and the youngest walked down to the lollypop man because my health condition would have made it very difficult for me to walk back up the hill if I'd gone down with her. Maybe some people would say I shouldn't have been left with them and they should have been taken into care but most other children that age made their own way to school too. When Em was 11 we left her to her own devices in the hotel on holiday when she wanted to use the computer. We also left Mimi as a baby with a 12 year old daughter of a friend of ours who had experience of younger brothers and sisters and was more mature and sensible at 12 than some 16 year olds are. There are 16/17 year olds I wouldn't dream of trusting as babysitters.

flashy 09-05-2007 07:59

Reece is 10 and walks to school and back on his own, its literally a 5 minute walk with no roads to cross whatsoever, i dont see anything wrong with what you did willow, when Reece was a baby he was also looked after by my friends 12 year old daughter, she was very mature for her age, joanne also has 3 younger siblings

then there is the question about what age do you let them go to town on there own? i was 10 when my mum let me into Accy with my sister (who was 12 at the time) but things where different then, Reece has been to Accy once on his own(baring in mind i live near the redcap) and i was ringing him every 15 minutes to make sure he was alright, i wouldnt let him go with a crowd of children because then he would maybe get up to mischief....just there and back is fine for now i think

WillowTheWhisp 09-05-2007 08:02

It's all relative isn't it?

Our Mimi was an escape artist as a baby and even though we had stair gates and a safety gate on her bedroom door she managed to get down to the kitchen one night and have a midnight feast with the dog whilst we were asleep! We'd got things in the fridge ready for a party the next day and her and the dog scoffed the lot!!

She was probably safer without the safety gates than she was with them and climbing over them.

Tinkerbelle 09-05-2007 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 421667)
she managed to get down to the kitchen one night and have a midnight feast with the dog whilst we were asleep! We'd got things in the fridge ready for a party the next day and her and the dog scoffed the lot!!

............. :rofl38:

We had a fridge raider when one of mine was younger :D

I think age is irrelevant, no one knows their own child better than the parents. I let mine do things appropriate to how they are maturing.

flashy 09-05-2007 08:30

never did us any harm when we used to babysit at 12 anyway

Tinkerbelle 09-05-2007 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 421690)
never did us any harm when we used to babysit at 12 anyway

........ No comment :D

We never let the child come to harm but geez those army game hurt like hell :eek:

Neil 09-05-2007 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 421667)
Our Mimi was an escape artist as a baby and even though we had stair gates and a safety gate

Lol I know the feeling. We have to keep the front/back doors locked now she can reach the handles.

flashy 09-05-2007 08:44

pmsfl @ yee..poor kid never had a chance to ride on his police bike did he ;)

davo69 09-05-2007 08:45

i think it depends on the child as well how muture they are and if they would be comfortable on there own we first left are son on is own when he went to senior school.but that was just in the day he was thirteen before we went on a night out and left him and then he had mate with him

flashy 09-05-2007 08:46

i'm a terrible babysitter, i play with the kids toys more than they do :D

panther 09-05-2007 16:43

i wouldnt dream of living my 13 year old in on her own for a night out!
i dont even let her look after her younger brother, to me they are children and need adult supervision, i suppose, everyone is different, and if I was to leave em on there own i couldnt enjoy myself as id be thinking of them all night, so no point going out, unless i have there grannys watching em

harwood red 09-05-2007 19:20

my youngest is 14 in june and eldest is 16 at christmas and I have left them for nights out for prob last 18months now, but only very local.

If i am going further afield eg. Manchester they have to be stopping at their dads or friends... and still won't stop anywhere overnight unless they again are at their dads or friends

Neil 09-05-2007 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 421901)
my youngest is 14 in june and eldest is 16 at christmas and I have left them for nights out for prob last 18months now, but only very local.

You need to have them at home so they can carry you up the stairs and dump you on your bed when you get in :p:D:D:D:D:D:D

Neil 09-05-2007 19:25

There was a news story on the local radio yesterday. A 13 year old girl was in the house alone. She set a piece of paper on fire with a lighter (IIRC). She was unable to put it out so she threw it into the front room and ran out of the house. I was trying to find a link to the story but can't sorry, I hope I got the facts right.
Only you can decide if your child is old/sensible enough to be left alone.