Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Rock Sulphur for Dogs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/rock-sulphur-for-dogs-30681.html)

***Mr D*** 12-05-2007 11:29

Rock Sulphur for Dogs

One of my dogs seems to suffer from the heat as summer comes, he gets really sweaty and hot causing him to get really sore under his legs and chest.

Now I have been recommended to put some Rock Sulpher in to the dogs watering dish to help cool him down.

Going to give it a try.

Has anyone else ever used or heard of this stuff?

Tinkerbelle 12-05-2007 11:32

Re: Rock Sulphur for Dogs

Yeah I used to have a rock of yellow sulphur in my collies water dish ..... but do you believe I can't remember for the life in me what the reason was or whether it was beneficial to her :o

slinky 12-05-2007 11:36

I think rock sulfur is benifical for the dogs coat ............ but dont quote me :confused:

Neil 12-05-2007 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle (Post 423050)
yellow sulphur

Now that reminds me of traveling on the school bus when someone was burning sulfur they had nicked from the chemistry lab. Every one was coughing and choking and it burnt your eyes. :D:D

***Mr D*** 12-05-2007 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle (Post 423050)
Yeah I used to have a rock of yellow sulphur in my collies water dish ..... but do you believe I can't remember for the life in me what the reason was or whether it was beneficial to her :o

At least it shows nothing bad happened.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 423054)
I think rock sulfur is benifical for the dogs coat ............ but dont quote me :confused:

It does say on the packet to aid with types of skin conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 423060)
Now that reminds me of traveling on the school bus when someone was burning sulfur they had nicked from the chemistry lab. Every one was coughing and choking and it burnt your eyes. :D:D

Now your just giving me silly ideas.:D

Neil 12-05-2007 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 423062)
Now your just giving me silly ideas.:D

Thats my job on this forum :D

lazeeboy 12-05-2007 12:13

Cant help with that, but I have a problem with the lawn where my 10 month old pup Amber does tinkles, the grass goes yellow.
How can this be cured, and I also believe the urine is not so acidic when the dogs get older.
Any Ideas.

Neil 12-05-2007 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazeeboy (Post 423082)
Cant.help with that, but I have a problem with the lawn where my 10 month old pup Amber does tinkles, the grass goes yellow.
...Any Ideas.

Train you dog to pee on next door lawn :D

Margaret Pilkington 12-05-2007 12:40

I remember many years ago - in excess of 50 years.....my grndma used to put rock sulphur in the dogs water. She said it was to keep the water fresh and I'm nearly sure she said it was to cool the blood. The dog was called Nell....and we used to call her Nelly Blump, smelly trump, becuase after drinking this water her back end wind was very smelly.

Thinking about it...... we used to get a dose of treacle and sulphur to stop us getting heat bumps too - then we had the same odour problems as the dog

lillypad 12-05-2007 21:12

I was thinking the exact same thing neil:D Good one:D:D

lillypad 12-05-2007 21:17

sorry forgot to quote you neil!! i was referring to the one about peeing on next doors lawn!!!

mallard 12-05-2007 21:23

Thank,s for that info mr dee because i thout that about my mate,s dog

West Ender 12-05-2007 21:31

The sweat glands in a dog are mainly in the pads - the soles of their feet - so they don't sweat under the arms etc. like humans. I'd check out if your dog has a skin condition, like eczema, that's made worse by heat.

Rock sulphur is supposed to act as a coolant and a general conditioner. I've used it from time to time but never really noticed any difference with or without it.

fc:stanley 12-05-2007 22:14

Yes ive used it for my cocker spaniel , no probs and she was happy as larry!

AccyMad 12-05-2007 22:33

Can I ask where you get this sulphur stuff, my dog gets a terrible red rash every time the weather warms up a bit, might do the trick