Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Shower recommendations (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/shower-recommendations-30780.html)

accymel 15-05-2007 14:14

Shower recommendations

Can anyone recommend a decent electric shower to buy ? I cant go for power shower as no header tank & boiler water is fed direct from mains supply as power showers require header tank. There is an electrical point & feeder [?? whatever that means] as u can see all complicated LOL!!

Any recommendations or tips be graciously received ??:D

Neil 15-05-2007 14:18

Re: SHower recommendations

Are you sure you can't use a direct fed shower from your hot and cold supplies?
If you have a combi then your hot water will be at the same (ish) pressure as your cold. I thought you could just stick a shower mixer onto a combi and away you go, lots of nice hot water on your bod.

lancsdave 15-05-2007 14:21

I think it's a choice between electric shower being mains fed only, or a mixer. Do the mixers have thermostatic control these days? We used to have one connected to a multi point but nobody could run a cold tap or else you ended up lobstered !!

accymel 15-05-2007 14:22

Aye its a combi boiler & yes i have shower mixer taps on atm & mix the hot & cold taps for desired temp but no good for a proper shower tho unless u like the crouched down style & the water temp changes if pulled too high up & pressure drops as temp if someone flushes the loo lol

Im just after a fixed to the wall standup shower just wondering what best to get tho & i dont know what a 'feedpipe' is presumbaly that will be the hot & cold or both dunno with the way they have done the hot water system:confused:

slinky 15-05-2007 14:22

I know someone who has just had a combi fitted and NO they couldn't just get a normal power shower. When ginger comes back i will ask why they couldn't ( must pay attention to other peoples conversations) :D

accymel 15-05-2007 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 424614)
I know someone who has just had a combi fitted and NO they couldn't just get a normal power shower. When ginger comes back i will ask why they couldn't ( must pay attention to other peoples conversations) :D

LOL cheers Slinky, i know we cant have a power shower being minus a header tank didnt know it extended to combi boilers too - so thats double buggered for that, so presumabley a standard leccy shower will do or something else :D

slinky 15-05-2007 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 424617)
LOL cheers Slinky, i know we cant have a power shower being minus a header tank didnt know it extended to combi boilers too - so thats double buggered for that, so presumabley a standard leccy shower will do or something else :D

Ginger says 95% of the showers will not work with a combi boiler. He says argos has them in that will be suitable for combi boilers, he says it usually says it on them.

accymel 15-05-2007 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 424623)
Ginger says 95% of the showers will not work with a combi boiler. He says argos has them in that will be suitable for combi boilers, he says it usually says it on them.

Cool thanks Slinky .......[& Ginger] :D will look there :thumbsup:

Neil 15-05-2007 17:54

I take it you have a shower pipe thingy that is part of your bath taps. Yes they are useless. You need a thermostatic shower mixer as mentioned above so you don't get burnt/freeze when anyone runs another tap.

WillowTheWhisp 15-05-2007 20:21

Re: Shower recommendations

We've got a mira shower and one of those boilers that heats the water up when you turn a tap on. If you're in the shower and somebody turns a tap on the pressure drops but it doesn't get hotter.

mthead 15-05-2007 20:26

You could always try the 'Golden'variety Mel:p :D :D

Neil 15-05-2007 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 424881)
If you're in the shower and somebody turns a tap on the pressure drops but it doesn't get hotter.

That will be one of the thermostatically controlled ones, good arn't they?

West Ender 15-05-2007 22:07

My shower is electric. I have a combi boiler and I was disappointed, when I needed a replacement shower, that I couldn't have a power-shower but..... in March, during a bitter cold spell, my boiler went wrong. We had no heating and no hot water for 2 days. We did have a hot shower, though, and it was bliss to get out of bed into a freezing cold bedroom and then warm up under it. Bloody cold when you got out of course! :D

accymel 15-05-2007 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthead (Post 424888)
You could always try the 'Golden'variety Mel:p :D :D

Uurrrrgghhhhhh im not her who used to live across from u PMSL!!!:D

accymel 15-05-2007 22:12

We decided on an electric shower rather than the mixer types - surprisingly are much dearer than some leccy types:eek: