Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   What do you do with your food waste? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/what-do-you-do-with-your-food-waste-31603.html)

WillowTheWhisp 22-06-2007 07:06

What do you do with your food waste?

As I write this there is a discussion under way on Radio Lancashire (Tony Livesey inspired) about what you do with left over food.

Tony flushes his down the loo but Alison seems to think this is disgusting.

If we have left over cooked food of a sloppy nature it goes down the loo. Uncooked food is compostable but if it has been cooked you can't use it for compost and if you try to put it in the bin it means using a plastic bag which it could burst out of anyway and the smell of it going manky over the fortnight between bin collections would be disgusting. It would also attract vermin.

So what do you do with your left overs from the tea table?

eggstoocool 22-06-2007 07:51

Re: What do you do with your food waste?

Left over food? You people have that? I have 2 sons... 24 and 19... if there are left overs... they are usually gone by the next day!

Scraps from preparation... peelings etc, go in the compost bin... then onto the garden.

Fat cut from meat etc... goes in the dogs dish.

On the rare occasion when there are left overs that need disposal... then i agree anything of a sloppy nature would go down the loo!

lettie 22-06-2007 07:58

What's food waste???:D I had my dog for 10 years and she polished off any leftovers both cooked and uncooked. She would eat anything and loved curries, garlic, veg etc (although, at times, it would smell like a bad case of C-Difficile in my house:rolleyes:)

Now that the dog has died I have Sparks, there's no such thing as food waste in our house..:D

grego 22-06-2007 07:59

All our left over food goes in the bin, I wasn't aware that you can compost anything, I do all the peelings etc.

WillowTheWhisp 22-06-2007 08:00

lol, when we had a dog we didn't have such a thing as food waste either. Now we have cats and they are very fussy. They would not eat something discarded by humans.

davo69 22-06-2007 08:10

last line sounds discusting lol

WillowTheWhisp 22-06-2007 08:12

What last line? :confused:

davo69 22-06-2007 08:19

they would not eat something discarded by humans.sorry bad humor

WillowTheWhisp 22-06-2007 08:21

I think the cats find the idea disgusting too. :D

lancsdave 22-06-2007 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 438919)
Tony flushes his down the loo but Alison seems to think this is disgusting.

So it's disgusting to throw waste food down the loo but all the stuff she eats she doesn't have a problem with it ending down there ? :rolleyes:

Mick 22-06-2007 08:39

Well this thread has reached the bottom of things:D:hidewall:

panther 22-06-2007 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 438957)
So it's disgusting to throw waste food down the loo but all the stuff she eats she doesn't have a problem with it ending down there ? :rolleyes:

or when your throwing ya guts up:rolleyes:, same thing;)

my waste goes in the bin:D

heres a question for you where do you put your used cooking fat out of the chip pan???? down the loo, or down the sink or back in the bottle!!

lancsdave 22-06-2007 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 438976)
or when your throwing ya guts up:rolleyes:, same thing;)

my waste goes in the bin:D

heres a question for you where do you put your used cooking fat out of the chip pan???? down the loo, or down the sink or back in the bottle!!

You shouldn't put it down the loo or down the sink, even if you rinse it down with boiling water it will stiil clog the system up. I usually use an old plastic milk bottle and then throw it in the bin. Technically I'm not recycling the milk bottle but it's better than throwing oil/fat down the sink.

And this is for somebody who is going to give me a scowl when she reads it :p:p:p:p:p

WillowTheWhisp 22-06-2007 09:49

Now this one I've wondered about where the recycling rules stand because I'm with you about putting it in a plastic bottle and binning it. I can't think of any better way of disposing of it.

panther 22-06-2007 09:51

mine goes down the sink with lots of fairy and hot water:o.....oops