Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Common Cold (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/common-cold-34677.html)

magpie 07-11-2007 19:46

Common Cold

Common Cold

so far this year I have had flu in January... and three common colds: I never used to get colds, wonder if taking extra vitamins works ? anyone know: its making me feel really run down and tired all the time:

MargaretR 07-11-2007 19:52

Re: Common Cold

You need to boost your immune system
I take Echinacea - 8 weeks on then 2 weeks off
it is a herb which I find works better than VitC, but no harm in taking both
Your body will quickly expel any vitC that it doesn't need

firth_dawn 07-11-2007 20:03

what about having the flu jab from your doctors once a year that helps prevent people getting the flu.

Neil 07-11-2007 20:09

I am waiting to have my flu jab. She won't give it to me because I am still suffering from an ear infection.

MargaretR 07-11-2007 20:11

A flu jab wont protect you from the common cold - different type of 'bug'

katex 07-11-2007 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 490488)
Common Cold

so far this year I have had flu in January... and three common colds: I never used to get colds, wonder if taking extra vitamins works ? anyone know: its making me feel really run down and tired all the time:

Nothing is going to protect you from the common cold as there are 1,000's of different strains, (that's why you get one after the other) don't need any extra vitamins, herbal remedies either. As long as you eat a balanced diet, get all the nutrition/exercise your body needs, nothing else you can do to protect yourself to avoid a cold virus gettin up yer' nose. Avoid handling money passed to you, touching a door knob, shaking hands, etc., all places where you pick up colds, because people who already have one will get on their hands and place them on these objects that you, in turn, will touch. Difficult, isn't it.

Only take extra vitamins if your body is seriously short of them, due to a unbalanced diet, but can do more harm than good if you are just taking extra.

Also the flu jab can only protect you from certain strains of these viruses, so not foolproof.

Lilly 07-11-2007 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by firth_dawn (Post 490500)
what about having the flu jab from your doctors once a year that helps prevent people getting the flu.

You won't get a flu jab unless you're over 65 or have a condition such as a chest complaint like asthma, a weak heart or lowered immunity due to cancer treatment.

Like as been said already, flu jabs don't work against the common cold.

katex 07-11-2007 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 490570)
You won't get a flu jab unless you're over 65 or have a condition such as a chest complaint like asthma, a weak heart or lowered immunity due to cancer treatment.

A doctor's surgery will order a certain amount of flu vaccines for his surgery for cases as Lilly has stated above .. and paid for them. The assessment of quantity is based on his patient's list with high risk patients, including diabetics and children (who need two by the way).

If, say, they order 700 and only 500 patients ask for it, they will have 200 to spare and will treat other patients who ask for it ... mainly on a financial basis, so at least they will break even on these extras.

Should they have a shortfall, there is no reason why 'anybody' cannot call into places like 'Superdrug' to obtain this injection for £15. approx.

If you are willing to pay for it, nowt you can't get. My 25 year old son was offered one at work through their BUPA scheme last week, only declined because he felt a little funny about mixing work with medical intrusions, and besides he thought may be the only time he could get off work due to the fact no holiday periods left (only joking of course).

They can only give certain flu virus immunity in September approx. due to the fact that they work on last year's virus and the potential of the one occuring this year.

By the way, impossible to get a reaction to a flu jab .. except a swollen mark, this is pure coincidence, and will have picked up something entirely different due to the time of year.

MargaretR 08-11-2007 05:09

I stick with my original post about echinacea, and it seems like some 'medics' recommend it
BBC NEWS | Health | Echinacea 'can prevent a cold'
As for 'there are no side effects from a flu jab'---- I disagree. I was asked to read and sign a consent form before I got mine, which listed possible side effects -- and I got some!

WillowTheWhisp 08-11-2007 05:24

My US cousin swears by echinacea and she's always been incredibly healthy until she had a stroke a couple of years ago. Mind you she is in her 80s so even that isn't bad going.

LYNX1 08-11-2007 05:27

My Mum used to get the flu jab every year when she was alive, and she was always flat on her back for at least a week after (but she was ok after that)........she was prepared to go through the first bad bit to have the protection afterwards.

katex 08-11-2007 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYNX1 (Post 490671)
My Mum used to get the flu jab every year when she was alive, and she was always flat on her back for at least a week after (but she was ok after that)........she was prepared to go through the first bad bit to have the protection afterwards.

Perhaps didn't quite make myself clear on this one .. you could get some sort of 'reaction' like shivers, temperature overnight .. like when your baby has their first injections. This is a good sign as body reacting and building up the necessary antibodies in the haemoglobin. Being flat on yer back for a week is not normal and probably psychosomatic.

Just that it is nothing to do with the flu virus becoming active in your body which people believe.

Re. vitamins/herbal remedies .. understand Margaret .. but nothing you cannot get from eating natural foods which contain Vitamin C, and if you feel not eating enough of these, then taking the tablets will not do you any harm.

slinky 08-11-2007 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 490586)

By the way, impossible to get a reaction to a flu jab .. except a swollen mark, this is pure coincidence, and will have picked up something entirely different due to the time of year.

Try telling that to someone that is allergic to eggs :rolleyes::)

katex 08-11-2007 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 491148)
Try telling that to someone that is allergic to eggs :rolleyes::)

Really, is there a connection then ?

Eggs .. gosh, do you come out in lumps and things or do more clucking than normal ... :D

slinky 08-11-2007 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 491160)
Really, is there a connection then ?

Eggs .. gosh, do you come out in lumps and things or do more clucking than normal ... :D

Yes the injection is kept in egg based liquids.... people that are allergic to egg cannot have the flu jab.